Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ballast tank mounting brackets/straps

svnfightsvn

So I'm in the process of intalling the bow ballast in my boat.  Got the bow tank custom made and it has 4 threaded inserts for installing angle brackets (not included apparently) to hold the tank in place.  Since the brackets were not included, where can I get a pair?

Here is a picture of the threaded holes I'm speaking of (and I'm not talking about the fitting holes - talking about the smaller "square" holes).  And obviously this isn't my tank

image_135478_1_248360.jpg

I would not be surprised if those were for anchoring a nylon strap or the like.  A rigid bracket between a tank and a hard point on the boat might just be asking for something to break - probably the plastic tank.

Just use any type of L bracket that won't rust. I believe the factory ones are aluminum. 

Also I don't believe my bow tank even has those threaded spots for the brackets. It hasn't caused a problem in 1200 hours not having them. 

Aluminum for my bow and gas tank. Got to agree with Rob, mine only keep the tanks from sliding front to rear not up and down to the floor. IIWM I would buy the aluminum and make your own. A hand tool simple job to be sure.

Found these, but they aren't tall enough. My threads are 2" up the side of the tank and these are only 3/4" tall

http://greatlakesskipper.com/mastercraft-aluminum-marine-boat-fuel-tank-ballast-mounting-brackets-set-of-4

These are a little taller, but at only 1-3/4", it's still not quite there. 

http://greatlakesskipper.com/tracker-176337-silver-4-1-2-x-2-x-1-3-4-inch-aluminum-boat-90-degree-fuel-tank-bracket-set-of-4

havent heard back from bakes yet..

On 1/20/2017 at 10:58 PM, robbennett said:

Just use any type of L bracket that won't rust. I believe the factory ones are aluminum. 

Also I don't believe my bow tank even has those threaded spots for the brackets. It hasn't caused a problem in 1200 hours not having them. 

:plus1: and I'm not sure any of my tanks even have screws/bolts into the tanks, mine are just backward shifting stops.  I'd just buy some thin 1 1/2" aluminum angle and install it where you see fit.  These tanks aren't trying to move much.  

• 3 weeks later...

just to close the loop...I couldn't find any of these online, but Bakes did put in a special order with Malibu for me and at $3 a piece, they added a few of these brackets to my recent order.  Thanks Andrew@bakes !