Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just an idea

Steve B.

Had one of those lightbulb moments. How cool would it be if songs (digital media) carried with them or had bits assigned to them that talked to the stereo and adjusted parameters custom for each song !

I go thru a list of say 1000 songs. All of which I'd like to custom adjust sub, Q, EQ, balance, fade, etc. Then that data is automagically recalled on playback. I suppose at that point, you could also include lite control and other boat functions.

Steve B.

edit: kind of like snapshot recall of hi-end audio control equipment.

Edited by Steve B.
added a thought

Car audio competition guys (I remember Mark Eldridge mentioning it in particular) were dreaming about this way back in the 90s. Later, when Mac minis and micro PCs as head units was the rage there were some programmers working on it but most ended up specific to that one downloaded song on that one unit--they couldn't get it to recognize the song 'at large' IIRC. I've stopped following the tech for the most part, but there may be a solution out there now.

Great thought!

Edited by jk13

For me on this system it could simply be a song #. So, when it see's song # so and so, it adjusts the system accordingly. I sometimes use I-pod's to control live PA systems remotely as I walk the house before a show and set various parameters. But those are overall snapshots, not case by case, automatically.

Steve B.

This already exists, but hasn't been implemented by any manufacturer that I know of. Digital music, specifically MP3 files, have a "header" that contains metadata known as an ID3 tag. There are a few different versions of ID3 that you can see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

In ID3v2 there is a field for storing EQ and other similar data: Equalization: EQUA or EQU2

While the EQ data and similar parameters you need/want can be stored, the next challenge is finding something to be able to edit this field and then finding something that can read and act on this data. I haven't looked, but my guess is that only really high-end audio gear *might* be able to act on this data. (not anything you'll find that runs off of 12V DC) My educated guess is that you would need to use a computer as the head unit to find software that was capable of reading the EQ settings from an MP3 file and then it would change the EQ setting in software for the output stream and not rely on an external EQ unit of any type.

5 hours ago, mikeo said:

This already exists, but hasn't been implemented by any manufacturer that I know of. Digital music, specifically MP3 files, have a "header" that contains metadata known as an ID3 tag. There are a few different versions of ID3 that you can see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

In ID3v2 there is a field for storing EQ and other similar data: Equalization: EQUA or EQU2

While the EQ data and similar parameters you need/want can be stored, the next challenge is finding something to be able to edit this field and then finding something that can read and act on this data. I haven't looked, but my guess is that only really high-end audio gear *might* be able to act on this data. (not anything you'll find that runs off of 12V DC) My educated guess is that you would need to use a computer as the head unit to find software that was capable of reading the EQ settings from an MP3 file and then it would change the EQ setting in software for the output stream and not rely on an external EQ unit of any type.

Not to mention that with all the editing software out there these days, why not just leave your EQ flat (or however you want it) and edit the song itself to bring out what you want and save the edited MP3.