Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Honest opinion on in cabin speakers

asnowman

36 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

but seems the wetsounds are built to be outside, while many other brands are modified from a traditional automobile style speaker

The Wet Sounds, along with the Kicker KM series, JL M and MX series, Rockford PM series are built from the ground up, as a marine speaker. They are not in any way a car door speaker thats tweaked, modified or wise have an "M" in the part number to appear as a marine speaker. The Polk UM's are far closer to a marine speaker than the Polk DB to which Polk calls a marine speaker.  

Just now, asnowman said:

If the 8" fit, what kicker would you recomend?

Thats easy, the KM8LCW. its the only 8" marine Kicker offers. it comes with a white and charcoal grill option for your choice, and RGB LEDs are included. You can also get the matching KM654LCW

52 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I also need to replace this. Seems it's not really working right anyway.

Whole new subject!  I ditched my HU in favor of  zone controller and XM radio. Here's a good start on the trade offs:

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Whole new subject!  I ditched my HU in favor of  zone controller and XM radio. Here's a good start on the trade offs:

Mark, I'll get to a head unit discussion later, back on topic, while getting an 8" in the rear could be done, its not happening now. Here is how the rears are mounted, and i'm just not interested in cutting the vinyl and opening the hole right now. 20170116_160105_zpsozacq3ok.jpg

and without the speaker in place

20170116_161625_zps2atyf7ak.jpg

since i'm not looking to build a killer set-up here, just put a good quality speaker in place, it doesn't seem worthwhile to go through the aggravation of modifying this speaker opening.

As for the front speakers, i don't think clearance will be an issue, as i will absolutely have to remove the windshield.

20170116_161054_zpsvpxvdnbf.jpg

funny though, the silver grills have never been an issue for us, i may need to trim the opening behind this speaker a bit though to get a deeper one in there

20170116_160542_zps4ogogumy.jpg

the location of remotes and the head unit are an issue, but that's for a different discussion

I don't like messing with that indented vinyl either but it isn't as hard as it looks.  Depends on your DIY quotient.  Sawing the fiberglass under the dash speakers may be more challenging! Own a Sawzall?

So you just need to pick 4 nice 6.5 marine speakers and hook them up to your amp.  It might take less time than this thread :lol:

Whatever you do it's going to sound A LOT better than those Sonys driven by the HU.

3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I don't like messing with that indented vinyl either but it isn't as hard as it looks.  Depends on your DIY quotient.  Sawing the fiberglass under the dash speakers may be more challenging! Own a Sawzall?

So you just need to pick 4 nice 6.5 marine speakers and hook them up to your amp.  It might take less time than this thread :lol:

Whatever you do it's going to sound A LOT better than those Sonys driven by the HU.

Yes I own a Sawzall, or two..... and what's funny is i'm now leaning towards the polk speakers, so for the first time i'very seen in the forum, you guys have been pushing a less expensive option.

Thanks for all the great input so far.

10 hours ago, asnowman said:

ok, so as always you guys are great at making people re-think suff.

2 pair of the wetsounds xs-650 is $330, ordering black cones, but apparently black grills are not an option.

2 pair of MM651UM is $240, nice thing is they are already all black, so better on the dash.

one pair of XS-650 and one pair xs-808 is $565, and now absolutely need a new amp, so another 599 for an exile javeline

now here is where i go back to the original purpose, we ONLY slalom ski behind this boat, i keep less than 10 gal of gas in it (put in a jug after each morning), we dont bring a spotter unless we have a 3rd skiers (skier 4 waits on the dock for their turn) and we don't cruise, the course is directly in front of the house.  I may be wrong, and let loose if i am, but seems the wetsounds are built to be outside, while many other brands are modified from a traditional automobile style speaker, hence the original question. 

I have a used exile Javalin... save you some money ;)

10 hours ago, 90oldskool said:

without a sub, i liked the 6.5 kickers better (warmer to my ears). with a sub the polks are awesome. 

either way , wire in your 4 ch amp. 

Agree completely. 

Steve B. Sub

14 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Not that I plan to, but what sub would you use? Preferably it would go under passenger seat.

Can't even believe i'm thinking about this

I've got one of these under the helm of my Am. Skier with the 10w6 and it rocks with 7.7 JL in boats.  

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17054&cat=282&page=1

Edited by jjackkrash
ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I've got one of these under the helm of my Am. Skier with the 10w6 and it rocks with 7.7 JL in boats.  

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17054&cat=282&page=1

$300 for a box?? That's crazy talk right there. 

@asnowman we run a kicker comp vr 10" in a sealed box in our TXi and t compliments the powered speakers well in the boat. It's not going to rattle your sunglasses off your face or send ripples down the lake when floating but works fairly well for being a sub I've had since 2006 in my first car :blush:

We started with it behind the passenger seat but last spring I moved it behind the drivers kick panel. Sounds much better and only has to move the kick panel forward about an inch. But it did sounds pretty good behind the passenger seat too. Biggest draw to move it for me was clearing up storage space because out TXi is a day boat as well. Much easier install behind the passenger seat too. I run everything on a power precision 900 watt 5 channel amp. It was cheap and does a pretty good job. Again not top of the line but it gets the job done. 

However now I'm tossing the idea around of upgrading the amp :whistle: lol

7 hours ago, asnowman said:

Not that I plan to, but what sub would you use? Preferably it would go under passenger seat.

Do the sub!  We have a Basslink powered sub under the helm on ours.  4 cabin Polk DB651 speakers, Boston Acoustics 40w amp, Alpine HU.  It sounds really good, and my usage is similar to yours.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

$300 for a box?? That's crazy talk right there. 

Crazy indeed. Using stuff I already have lying around I can build an enclosure for free that looks and feels factory.

I think we had a basslink in our old 23lsv, it was compact, but always seemed to be in the way.

Guess I will have to think this one through.

27 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I think we had a basslink in our old 23lsv, it was compact, but always seemed to be in the way.

If it fits the Echelon Lx I gotta believe it will fit in the Rlxi.  I never even know it's there.  But I don't have a heater, that might make a difference if you do.

31 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Crazy indeed. Using stuff I already have lying around I can build an enclosure for free that looks and feels factory.

Guess I will have to think this one through.

Built my own box for the alpine type R in my boat now . Best thing besides the money savings , box was made to fit exactly where I wanted it . Rockford , kicker and alpine all make shallow mount subs to save space. Just look at the recommended sealed box size and play around with a box designer like the link here . http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm 

wet sounds also makes a 8" sub, This will sound much different then a 10" or 12" . 

Edited by 90oldskool
ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

If it fits the Echelon Lx I gotta believe it will fit in the Rlxi.  I never even know it's there.  But I don't have a heater, that might make a difference if you do.

Yeah, the heater is why i had to move my kick plate forward with the sub under the helm. If we didn't have a heater there is a ton of space. But not having a heater is not an option :).

8 minutes ago, 90oldskool said:

Built my own box for the alpine type R in my boat now . Best thing besides the money savings , box was made to fit exactly where I wanted it . Rockford , kicker and alpine all make shallow mount subs to save space. Just look at the recommended sealed box size and play around with a box designer like the link here . http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm 

wet sounds also makes a 8" sub, This will sound much different then a 10" or 12" . 

Wetsounds also makes a 6.5 sub.....lol.... I've not heard them. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix also

9 hours ago, asnowman said:

Project creep :notworthy: in the best Malibu Crew tradition!

Too many threads on subs to mention.  Everything has already been said.