Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Honest opinion on in cabin speakers

asnowman

At the end of the summer, the stereo in our 05 Response LXI started cutting out, and i could try and trouble shoot it, or just start over.

So, since i need to dig in to add a second heater, i decided on at least running new speaker wires and replacing the tired old sony speakers it has.  Current set-up is factory i believe, remote on the transom, by the driver, and the head unit under the arm rest.  Ideally i would like to replace the head unit too, as we only use radio and music from our phones.  for the moment, really only lookg at the speakers.  Trying to decide between the Wetsounds xs 650 and the exile sx 65M.  Hopefully you guys that have heard both can give me a good understanding of advantages of both. I know JL makes a great speaker, but really deciding between these two right now.

Things to consider, we don't cruise in this boat, we don't go to the beach, generally we get in, idle down to the start of the course, drop in a skier and run the course, usually only 2-3 people in the boat.  Basically only use the radio when we are waiting for one of the neighbors to finish a set, or resting between sets. not looking to rock out at 36 mph.  If we want to surf and party, that is what the VTX is for, so that's never going to be a consideration.

and since pictures are always better

LXi%20in%20water_zpsee16ycug.jpg

VZM.IMG_20160804_194253_zpslmrlesfx.jpg

38 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Trying to decide between the Wetsounds xs 650 and the exile sx 65M.

The major difference in sound, is the sx65m is a little "brighter" and the xs-650 is a little warmer and balanced.This is personal taste though. 

The xs-650 is on sale for $165 p/pair.

From a build standpoint: The Wet Sounds XS-650 has a composite basket compared to the stamped steel of the sx65m. The xs-650 magnet is booted where as the sx65m is exposed to the elements. The xs-650 has a rubber surround, not cotton or other moisture wicking material. The XS-650 grill is made so the mounting screws clamp down on the speaker frame and NOT the grill. This insures a tight speaker mount without applying force to the grill. 

Make sure to check depth in the dash speaker locations. The old Sony speakers are not as deep as the better speakers you are considering.

Also check to see if you can fit 8 inch speakers in the side locations. MUCH better mid bass than 6.5s. Kicker makes a good 8 inch marine for about $170/pair.

10 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Also check to see if you can fit 8 inch speakers in the side locations. MUCH better mid bass than 6.5s. Kicker makes a good 8 inch marine for about $170/pair.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't it be better to stick with all the same speaker, all wetsounds vs a combo of wetsounds and kicker? Wetsounds does have the xs-808, but if that fits, it's certainly more work, and in this case may not be worth the effort.

asnowman,

I like sticking with the same series speakers in the boat especially when they are in close proximity. Every speaker design has its own sound signature. with two different brands close by, you may pickup on a slightly different tone between them.

Good news is, just like wet sounds, Kicker also offers a solid quality marine 6.5" speaker. So, you can go with either brand and do a mix of 8" in locations that will fit an 8" and then a 6.5" in those spot, like the dash, that wont fit an 8".

As far as worth it? Yes, its worth some added cost and work to step up from a 6.5" to an 8". You just need to plan ahead to get an idea of how much work, if they will work, it will take to fit them. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, David said:

Whether the Wetsounds XS-650 or SW-650, get a black model so that you minimize the reflection off the windshield.

That I had not thought of, great point. 

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

If needed for dash you can add depth with speaker rings. About $10 per pair.

Just be aware, many of the dash mounted models are right up against the windshield, so no room to move speaker up with a spacer. I cant speak 100% to a 05 response lxi, just recall many of the ones ive touched. 

I would love to put 8" to replace our 6.5 inboats. Would i need to pull the panels off to modify or leave them in. Not trying to get out of work,just having a 5 year old helper. If he wants more "seekers" then he has to help also. I've got the hlcd kickers on our tower and love them. MLA we bought Charlie Hurst' boat that's an engineer up at the Malibu factory. Thought I'd just throw that in there if you knew him.

You need a @6.5 inch hole for the 8 inch speakers. Specs online then measure your locations.  If there is room you'll need a Dremmel or similar to enlarge the hole. If not experienced with cutting plastic then practice first.

Definately worth getting the 8s in there.

I know tht this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but this is the internet, so... I've NOT owned the exiles but have owned the ws 650s and the polk audio mm651ums and if I were picking based purely on sq on about 75w, I'd pick the polks every day.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I know tht this is an answer to a question you didn't ask, but this is the internet, so... I've NOT owned the exiles but have owned the ws 650s and the polk audio mm651ums and if I were picking based purely on sq on about 75w, I'd pick the polks every day.

Why, just curious. Keep in mind no plan for a sub, though I do have an 400x4 amp lying around I could throw in to feed them a little more power than just a head unit.

I highly recommend a sub. Then maybe 6.5's would be the better match ? Throwing that out there. Badly quoting Megyn Trainor... it's all about that bass, no treble !"

Having that bottom octave, and control of it is where you want to be !

Steve B.

I agree with what is said above about the sub. I would add one even if it's just a smaller 10. Something is better than nothing. I have a full Focal component set in my truck front and back. Without the subs it sounds great. Turn them on and it goes from great to mind blowing.

7 hours ago, asnowman said:

Why, just curious. Keep in mind no plan for a sub, though I do have an 400x4 amp lying around I could throw in to feed them a little more power than just a head unit.

I just like the way the polks sound more.  Personal preference.

You definitely want better than HU power, whichever speakers you choose.  The amp will also (probably) have a high pass crossover, which will also help.

Steve and TN, right now not planning a sub, we are usually out on the boat at 5-7 am to start the day, sound carries and I have known most of my neighbors for 30 years, not looking to rock out this boat, just have better sound than the 1 speaker currently running. Maybe down the road, but we only listen to thensure stereo withe engine off or at idle.

We have a vtx with a much bigger setup, everyone knows when it's time to surf and wakeboard around us. If it's time to rock the party, it's time for the other boat cause the glass is gone.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

I just like the way the polks sound more.  

I put a nice polk set up in a car once and liked it, can you elaborate a bit? Fuller sound? Less tinny? More mid/low range? Compared to the wet sounds. 

Really wish there was a place locally that carried more than a single good line, and nobody around me has exile or wetsounds in their shops

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I just like the way the polks sound more.  Personal preference.

I like Polks too but unfortunately they don't make an 8 inch marine speaker.

If cost is a concern AND 8 inchers will fit in your cabin sides AND you'll only be listening when the boat is running, then a setup with 6.5 Kickers in the dash, 8 inch Kickers on the sides and a JBL or RF Class AB amp should get the whole thing done for south of $400 and have great sound at low to medium listening levels.  Class D amp will be about $100 more.  Of course, you can always spend more money :whistle:

agree if you can get 8s to fit you'll be glad you did, especially without a sub.  The RF  8s that have been in the 14-16 malibus sound pretty good on 75ish watts if you can find someone upgrading.  They also make a 6.5, and would look like a factory upgrade.  The 8s on the same power will significantly overpower the 6.5s (or at least that was my experience), but if the 6.5s are on the dash, they'll have the reflective power of the windshield working for them, so it might actually be a good combo.

ok, so as always you guys are great at making people re-think suff.

2 pair of the wetsounds xs-650 is $330, ordering black cones, but apparently black grills are not an option.

2 pair of MM651UM is $240, nice thing is they are already all black, so better on the dash.

one pair of XS-650 and one pair xs-808 is $565, and now absolutely need a new amp, so another 599 for an exile javeline

now here is where i go back to the original purpose, we ONLY slalom ski behind this boat, i keep less than 10 gal of gas in it (put in a jug after each morning), we dont bring a spotter unless we have a 3rd skiers (skier 4 waits on the dock for their turn) and we don't cruise, the course is directly in front of the house.  I may be wrong, and let loose if i am, but seems the wetsounds are built to be outside, while many other brands are modified from a traditional automobile style speaker, hence the original question. 

2 minutes ago, asnowman said:

one pair of XS-650 and one pair xs-808 is $565, and now absolutely need a new amp, so another 599 for an exile javeline

now here is where i go back to the original purpose, we ONLY slalom ski behind this boat, i keep less than 10 gal of gas in it (put in a jug after each morning), we dont bring a spotter unless we have a 3rd skiers (skier 4 waits on the dock for their turn) and we don't cruise, the course is directly in front of the house.  I may be wrong, and let loose if i am, but seems the wetsounds are built to be outside, while many other brands are modified from a traditional automobile style speaker, hence the original question.

You are incorrect.  The Polk, RF, Kicker, and WS marine speakers are all built to be outside.  You can do it for $400 or you can do it for $1200.  In the end, with a setup like you're talking about you won't hear much, if any, difference.  Kicker and RF are available in black or dark gray.  Don't know about WS.

Now if you go with a sub woofer, tower speakers, etc. then you're talking a different story.

44 minutes ago, asnowman said:

You absolutely do not need a new amp, nor do you need a $600 5 chnl to drive 2 pair of in-boats. Your current 4 chnl amp will do fine.

Check the availability of the Wet Sounds SW-650 and SW-808, both available in black louvered grill.