Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shout out to exile from former wetsounds customer

wheelman

If anyone is looking for a surf only speaker setup that will not blast the cabin here's an option.  These are 6.5" Polks.  I made up a new set with 8" Kickers so the 6.5" is for sale.  Surfer and cabin volume are totally independent.

0911161626.r.jpg

13 minutes ago, Fman said:

Pics or it didn't happen! :) I find it hard to believe there is a better speaker out than Wetsounds or Exile.  Maybe comparable, but dominates them both?????

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that a better speaker can be built beyond today's choices. There is available technology that is not being used. But it would be expensive enough that a company like Wetsounds or JL Audio would have trouble bringing it to market at a successful price.  

Which is great and I look forward to checking them out someday , honesty. I hope they wake Jesus and the dead. @ConnollyCrew

Doesn't change the fact that homeboy lacks forum etiquette 'round here and needs to post his "fanboy" IISH in his OWN thread/post..... Its dirty tactics like THAT that always ramp these stereo... "MY IISH IS BETTER THAN YOUR'S!!!"  threads up and gets peeps heated around here . THAT is the EXACT definition of a TROLL in web speak.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, David said:

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that a better speaker can be built beyond today's choices. There is available technology that is not being used. But it would be expensive enough that a company like Wetsounds or JL Audio would have trouble bringing it to market at a successful price.  

^^^^ That. All of it. 

To the OP's point, I know that Exile has a serious reputation for being a down to earth, helpful, awesome company with some great sounding stuff. I'm always happy to see people backing a company like that! Glad you took the time to post about it.

Edited by ibelonginprison

I would like to see smaller speakers with equal or better performance.  Not sure if that is even possible but it would be nice to have smaller speakers on that tower.

Edited by Fman

Hate if I got off track from the OP, certainly was not my goal or even "trolling". Me and my 5 year old were just checking the forums and he seen ws and exile and said "dad let's read that one"..... 

??

46 minutes ago, Fman said:

would like to see smaller speakers with equal or better performance.

The two things that go against you, is a smaller pod and smaller driver. either or both, take you in the opposite direction. Can a smaller speaker sound good and perform good, sure. But is a smaller speaker in a smaller pod going to outperform a larger speaker? Thats a tall order. 

27 minutes ago, skylerchamblee said:

Hate if I got off track from the OP, certainly was not my goal or even "trolling". Me and my 5 year old were just checking the forums and he seen ws and exile and said "dad let's read that one"..... 

??

Don't bring your kids into this .

• Like 2
Just now, MLA said:

The two things that go against you, is a smaller pod and smaller driver. either or both, take you in the opposite direction. Can a smaller speaker sound good and perform good, sure. But is a smaller speaker in a smaller pod going to outperform a larger speaker? Thats a tall order. 

There's no replacement for displacement - except proximity.  If they're closer, smaller can be just as good as larger.  Some waterproof blue tooth headphones would be the extreme.  Speakers on the transom perhaps?  There are a few threads on that.

I think a lot of people are drawn to the bling factor of tower (wake board) speakers, but they really don't need them (in fact may be better off without them) if all they want is sound for in-boat and surfer.  That being said, bling does have value.

Just now, minnmarker said:

There's no replacement for displacement - except proximity.

Volume maybe, not necessarily SQ. Stand 3 ft in front of a pair of 8" and a pair of 4" speaker blindfold No question which is the larger speaker, even when the same distance way. 

1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

Speakers on the transom perhaps?

Look how many wake tow boats have adopted some form of a surf apparatus. Even the I/O builders use them. Then, look at how many boat manufacturers have adopted the Epic transom speaker approach. The concept is great on paper, but to build a boat to accommodate transom speakers, not sure 'bout that.

For the party cove or surfing, I think transom speaker might have the edge if you do not want volume filtering into the cabin. However, I don think transom speakers have much of edge over tower speakers for delivering music to a surfer or party cove scene. 

Just now, MLA said:

Volume maybe, not necessarily SQ. Stand 3 ft in front of a pair of 8" and a pair of 4" speaker blindfold No question which is the larger speaker, even when the same distance way. 

Look how many wake tow boats have adopted some form of a surf apparatus. Even the I/O builders use them. Then, look at how many boat manufacturers have adopted the Epic transom speaker approach. The concept is great on paper, but to build a boat to accommodate transom speakers, not sure 'bout that.

For the party cove or surfing, I think transom speaker might have the edge if you do not want volume filtering into the cabin. However, I don think transom speakers have much of edge over tower speakers for delivering music to a surfer or party cove scene. 

Pretty much agree on all of that but think there is room for innovation.  Can you imagine a Magneplanar type speaker built into the transom that could be focused?  Maybe someday.

When it comes to acoustic principles, especially as applied to tower speakers, nothing is more apt than Hoffman's Iron Law. It states that you can design a speaker with outstanding results in only two of three performance parameters; compact enclosure displacement, low end extension, and high sensitivity. Any extreme focus and improvement in one creates a performance deficit in another, or others. So right off the bat on a tower speaker you are definitely limited in pod size. Between sensitivity and low end extension, you have to make a balanced compromise among the two. However, you certainly can have it all with a couple of 50 gallon drums on the tower. Transom speakers have the potential to resolve the Hoffman Iron Law, and place the speakers lower to the ground/water plane, which is an advantage for near field. But transom speakers have real serious cost and reliability implications.  

HLCDs have been around for 85 years now, with refinements by the likes of Selenium, JBL, Altec Lansing, and ElectroVoice, to name a few. That technology is pretty much established by now. To make a substantial improvement in tower speakers it will be cost-prohibitive. For example, does Wetsounds know exactly what they could do to make an insane tower speaker beyond a Rev10 or Rev410? Sure. But they might only sell 10 per year at a price that reflected the R&D, tooling and build cost. So it would hardly be a responsible decision.   

26 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Pretty much agree on all of that but think there is room for innovation.  Can you imagine a Magneplanar type speaker built into the transom that could be focused?  Maybe someday.

No I couldn't, because a planar speaker is hideously insensitive.

4 hours ago, Bawshogg said:

Which is great and I look forward to checking them out someday , honesty. I hope they wake Jesus and the dead. @ConnollyCrew

Doesn't change the fact that homeboy lacks forum etiquette 'round here and needs to post his "fanboy" IISH in his OWN thread/post..... Its dirty tactics like THAT that always ramp these stereo... "MY IISH IS BETTER THAN YOUR'S!!!"  threads up and gets peeps heated around here . THAT is the EXACT definition of a TROLL in web speak.

Come on down. Us bama folk would really like to hear your setup..... and then let you hear that music that Jesus dances to.... HE IS ALIVE my fellow TMC member.

let me be clear. Most, if not all of these performance sound systems has more power than my boat has HP. If I'm gonna be called trolling and not even do it purposely.... then I guess I'll have to troll a little. My original post was to;

A- like a good read

B- learn a little something (which I did)

C- give a little props to a local sound        genius 

Edited by skylerchamblee
2 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Jesus doesn't dance to the music I blast. 

Well, maybe some old school hip hop. I think Jesus is down with Wu Tang.

I know right.... who's not with Wu Tang

2 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

Jesus doesn't dance to the music I blast. 

Well, maybe some old school hip hop. I think Jesus is down with Wu Tang.

I know who you are now man.  Met you last year. I've got the 08 with no see thru windows. I was looking at your leds on you tower badge.

He did. Do you remember me. We talked just for a few min. I need to take a look at your ballast setup and do it to our boat. 

Edited by skylerchamblee