Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shout out to exile from former wetsounds customer

wheelman

I too am part of the exile family. My situation was totally different but the outcome the same. I had some engine noise after my personal (probably hack job) install. After being unable to trace down the noise I took it to a local stereo shop. They tuned everything to get max output while keeping my equipment safe. They also added a choke (bass knob) to my front 4 cabin speakers so I can essentially fade front to back.  Anyways, I was having some issues with the stereo shop telling me they were unable to isolate the noise and pointed to the Exile ZLD as the culprit. I had just purchased the equipment mid summer and the noise had been there since my original install so I wasn't buying it. I contacted Donovan and he talked with the shop that was tuning my system. He had me send the eq in for testing and offered me a recommendation for another shop to help with the tune. Turns out the EQ was a bit defective and a new one (or my old repaired one) was sent back right away. Donovan was always helpful and took the time to return my calls and emails right away. Really can't ask for better service. Oh, and my system rocks. Couldn't be happier. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the Exile family @wheelman!!

I am about to order Exile system #6 for me!  I wasn't always in the family. In fact, I used to stubbornly resist it. Whenever I'd have a stereo issue with other brands my local boat friends used to tell me, "Just call Brian, he will help!"  But I ignored them for years. The circumstances that ultimately made me cave were similar to yours. I look back now and just chuckle... what was I so scared of?  Lol

Brian is a truly a stand up person who genuinely wants to help people. And Donovan is one of the happiest guys I've ever met. It's so cool to read when other people have the same experiences I have. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Welcome to the Exile family @wheelman!!

I am about to order Exile system #6 for me!  I wasn't always in the family. In fact, I used to stubbornly resist it. Whenever I'd have a stereo issue with other brands my local boat friends used to tell me, "Just call Brian, he will help!"  But I ignored them for years. The circumstances that ultimately made me cave were similar to yours. I look back now and just chuckle... what was I so scared of?  Lol

Brian is a truly a stand up person who genuinely wants to help people. And Donovan is one of the happiest guys I've ever met. It's so cool to read when other people have the same experiences I have. 

Totally agree.  Exile has been really good to me and always ready to help!

• Like 2

I'll add to this as well! Exile (Brian/Donovan) have gone above and beyond a couple times for me. I was having an amp issue the day before leaving for vacation at norris lake. Contacted Brian and he said he would expedite the replacement amp to the marina I was staying at. The amp arrived the next day at the marina and I was up and rocking!! Can't say enough about this company! Thanks Exile!

• Like 2

Update to this thread. I just received a call from Simon at wetsounds after he saw and read this thread. He phoned me to apologize there was nothing he could do to get me the same price again as things have changed with their Canadian distribution. He wanted me to understand if he could have done something he definitely would have but it was beyond his control and I did believe this from the start. As I started in my post this was never to say anything bad about wetsounds. Just thought it was pretty classy and still shows they have great customer service for him to phone me personally. So at the end of this ordeal I believe both exile and wetsounds will give great customer service to everyone. 

Thanks to both companies! 

Edited by wheelman
  • Like 3

So this thread got me looking at them, I was all set to go with JL 8.8 for tower speakers in the spring. We only surf with the occasional wakeboard, so I don't want a horn like WS.

How do the exile compare to the JL 8.8, I certainly like the price better. Also, looking at the surf pack 3 with the 4 tower 9s and amp, does that deliver pretty good sound?

Certainly don't wanna hijack your thread, but seems kinda in line, and they may be getting another customer. Thanks for any reply.

Also, was pretty cool of WS to contact you after the fact!

I will let you know, I'm running 4 surf 9s this time around with two xm30.2 amps  for power, one for each pair.  IXFE ran this setup last year and he said it sounded amazing with plenty of range for wakeboarding and a little less harsh on the ears than the hlcd's.  I think having enough power is the key.

• Like 3

That's exactly how I powered them I my 247. All speakers ran at 4 ohms with a single 300.2 powering 2 speakers. 

Plenty of good clean power . Make sure you tune them slightly conservatively.

Good post. I'm all about NOT bashing companies. That's a good read right there. +1 to you and exile. There is a local guy down here and can be looked up on FB @ lakesidesports in Cullman Al. Scott Hanna. He builds tower systems that I have heard that will smoke a properly tuned WS AND EXILE. For about the same $$$ I just want some folks to at least check him out. He has started a shop locally and he and his wife have poured their hearts into this place. I had a sound guy for a long time, but this guys just "gets it".

sorry for being long winded but I just had to get that out on a good non bashing post. 

Btw when I can afford his tower setup that's the direction I'm going. 

??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, skylerchamblee said:

Good post. I'm all about NOT bashing companies. That's a good read right there. +1 to you and exile. There is a local guy down here and can be looked up on FB @ lakesidesports in Cullman Al. Scott Hanna. He builds tower systems that I have heard that will smoke a properly tuned WS AND EXILE. For about the same $$$ I just want some folks to at least check him out. He has started a shop locally and he and his wife have poured their hearts into this place. I had a sound guy for a long time, but this guys just "gets it".

sorry for being long winded but I just had to get that out on a good non bashing post. 

Btw when I can afford his tower setup that's the direction I'm going. 

??

Subtle... sounds like your post is completely "fair & balanced".

On 2017-01-28 at 8:52 AM, Fman said:

I will let you know, I'm running 4 surf 9s this time around with two xm30.2 amps  for power, one for each pair.  IXFE ran this setup last year and he said it sounded amazing with plenty of range for wakeboarding and a little less harsh on the ears than the hlcd's.  I think having enough power is the key.

I will be running the exact same tower set up,can't wait to hear them. Hope they keep up with 3 12's.  Have to wait for the new boat to get here first. 

On 2017-01-29 at 0:07 PM, Bawshogg said:

That's exactly how I powered them I my 247. All speakers ran at 4 ohms with a single 300.2 powering 2 speakers. 

Plenty of good clean power . Make sure you tune them slightly conservatively.

@Bawshogg what frequency did you tune the towers to?

9 hours ago, Stevo said:

Subtle... sounds like your post is completely "fair & balanced".

If having to be fair & balanced was a requirement for posting here then a lot of the posts would disappear.  There are certainly more flagrant floggers on TMC - especially for stereo gear.

10 hours ago, wheelman said:

@Bawshogg what frequency did you tune the towers to?

On the XM30.2 I believe the lowest on the high pass filter you can go is 80HZ. That's about where I ended up. I went back and fourth between full range and using the HPF. I think you can get more overall volume out of them running the HPF.

12 hours ago, minnmarker said:

If having to be fair & balanced was a requirement for posting here then a lot of the posts would disappear.  There are certainly more flagrant floggers on TMC - especially for stereo gear.

Oh don't get me wrong , my post was pure sarcasm. I was not saying all posts need to be fair an balanced, 

i was merely taking issue with a post that claimed this...

On 1/31/2017 at 6:58 PM, skylerchamblee said:

He builds tower systems that I have heard that will smoke a properly tuned WS AND EXILE.

Seems like a bit of a strech (meaning NFW) for a "guy" with a Facebook page and a broken link to a domain that isn't registered https://m.facebook.com/lakesidesportsrec/

but im sure whatever he is doing just destroys any wetsounds or exile tower set up out there.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:42 PM, Bawshogg said:

Nice Troll. 

Ummm, his towers dominate..... I ran two pair of rev8's last year powered by an SD2 and his MasterPro Audio speakers dominate mine. Scott is an acoustical engineer by trade and owns the rights to his speakers.

His tower speakers make you feel as if you are INSIDE an imax theater on he water. No troll, his stuff is the best....Buuut he is a new company and you won't beleive how it sounds until you experience it for yourself. If anyone wants a demo you are always welcome to hop on my boat for a day. Also ask @ibelonginprison. Not trying to encourage a troll, just attempting to validate that there are products that will be new to the market very soon that are much more dynamic..

And yes, I did jump in on the troll! ??

Edited by ConnollyCrew