Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member, Hopefully new 22 VLX

JeffC

I agree with a different board, the landlock rides like a log and you will outgrow it way too fast.  I agree get something more versatile.  We really liked the ronix koal powertail.  The boards are super wide, so they are stable and fairly forgiving.  However it is also responsive enough you will not outgrow it nearly as fast.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:13 PM, JeffC said:

Im still putting together my list of stuff to buy before I take delivery, but so far I have on my list:

• Box anchor - I have a decent Danforth, but my stern anchor is a mushroom today, and it was useless on the 18' boat.  It doesnt stand a chance on the Malibu
  • Transom Pad - since I will be learning to surf.   Hoping we can get the group buy going again on those
  • 2 x fire extinguishers.   I have one on the Crownline, but will let it go with the boat, I want new ones anyway.  The rest of the standard safety gear I should be able to bring over from the old boat.
  • 2 x SeatSavers to protect the seats when people are boarding
  • WakeSurf board and rope. I am thinking something fairly tame to start with - Maybe a Hyperlite Landlock?
  • Might replace the igloo cooler with an AO 48 (low priority)
  • New fenders to mount with the Phender Pros.   I saw some nice big inflatable ones at the Tommy's pro shop.   Would be nice to deflate to store long term.
  • Additional PFDs (going to need more than the 8 I am bringing from old boat)
  • SpeakerSox
  • Registration Numbers
  • Trailer Guide Pads
  • GatorStep for the deck
  • Drysuit so I can start season a little early (depending on when I get the boat)
  • New toolset - Looking for the right thing, but something in a water resistant case with full set of wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.  The tools in the CL were pretty beat, and will leave them behind.
  • I didnt buy the backup camera, so thinking about seeing if I can run a cable to the glovebox from my go pro mounted on a suction cup.   Maybe can record, and be able to display the image on the dash?

As I look at that list, I think I see a little excitement/anticipation in there.

I don't have any experience with a box anchor, but am reading good things about them.  Would you recommend a small or large for a 22/23ft boat?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick stupid question : how long is it usually from order until you receive a spray date?   I ordered on Feb 4, have not heard anything yet.   Was at dealer a week and a half ago, he seemed to think we would hear any day, but still quiet.   I am not OVERLY concerned, but am considering a trip to TN to tour while it is being built, and I would love to be able to get a low price air fare. 

... ... ... ...

Hell, who am I kidding... I spend stupid amounts of time looking at 22 VLX pictures and videos now while time crawls like molasses in January.   I just want this beast to be here so I can get on the lake.    Boatless is a bad state of affairs :biggrin:

I did pick up a Hyperlite Broadcast as our "family" board.   The rest of my to-do list is still pretty much still to be done...

There's a link on Malibu's website to arrange a factory tour. Try emailing them through that and see if the person coordinating tours can find out for you. They were very responsive when I scheduled a last minute tour in the fall, and the factory is fairly small shop so the coordinator asking about it may be all it takes to get something set.

1 hour ago, JeffC said:

... ... ... ...

Hell, who am I kidding... I spend stupid amounts of time looking at 22 VLX pictures and videos now while time crawls like molasses in January.   I just want this beast to be here so I can get on the lake.    Boatless is a bad state of affairs :biggrin:

I did the same thing last winter.  I must have looked at every YouTube video 5 times and I couldn't seem to put the damn 2016 brochure down.  My kids would make fun of me...uh oh there goes dad again with his Malibu book!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, NWBU said:

There's a link on Malibu's website to arrange a factory tour. Try emailing them through that and see if the person coordinating tours can find out for you. They were very responsive when I scheduled a last minute tour in the fall, and the factory is fairly small shop so the coordinator asking about it may be all it takes to get something set.

That is a darn fine idea.   Ill try that.   If they can even give me an IDEA of when it might be, I can start the planning.  The idea is meet my son in VA, drive down, play some golf, tour Jack Daniels, tour Malibu. 

13 hours ago, ctvandy23 said:

I did the same thing last winter.  I must have looked at every YouTube video 5 times and I couldn't seem to put the damn 2016 brochure down.  My kids would make fun of me...uh oh there goes dad again with his Malibu book!

My family is making fun of me too... seems like every time my wife looks at my computer, I have another picture of a Malibu up.    I have been watching beginning surfing videos constantly to get pointers on how to learn.  I keep coming up with more stuff to buy, and I dont even have a spray date yet, let alone a boat.  Even I think its a bit over the top OCD.

Edited by JeffC
  • Like 2

One new VLX owner to another..  I didn't custom build but haven't actually seen my boat yet. A couple of questions for the experts please!!!

Does the "Gen II surf Bimini" have pockets for surf boards? 

What is "side pull surfing point, port and starboard"?  It is listed on tower options so I am assuming it's a location on each side of the tower to pull up a surfer.. I have never seen this, anyone have a picture of this?

Thx!!

Surf Bimini has straps.  I wish they were more like pockets but they get the job done. Our ZUP board is in them in the photo below.  

4BA92E0A-C6EB-4438-B957-935165D79D80_zps

Sorry, I don't have pics of the tower, but it is basically a knob that allows you to pull from the side of the tower vs the top, making it easier to get a rider to the side and in the pocket.   

21 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

One new VLX owner to another..  I didn't custom build but haven't actually seen my boat yet. A couple of questions for the experts please!!!

Does the "Gen II surf Bimini" have pockets for surf boards? 

What is "side pull surfing point, port and starboard"?  It is listed on tower options so I am assuming it's a location on each side of the tower to pull up a surfer.. I have never seen this, anyone have a picture of this?

Thx!!

The side pull points are great for beginners, it allows them to pull up outside the wave, so they don't get caught in prop wash.   

Interesting... I had asked about the GEN II when I ordered mine, and I THOUGHT he told me it had the pockets, but that was a whirlwind discussion of a LOT of things.   How do you get the boards up there?

The side pull surf points were recommended to me as a newbie surfer (and I will have a lot of newbies).   I would have sworn I saw a picture of them in the brochure, but for the life of me I cant find them now.

1 minute ago, JeffC said:

Stupid question... how to do you get the boards up on top of the bimini - is there access from underneath or do you have to climb up to secure them?

I stand on the rear bench and slide them in.

I had pockets sewn into my Bimini by Autoweave.  They work really well.

Did you get a build date yet?

Just now, RyanB said:

I stand on the rear bench and slide them in.

I had pockets sewn into my Bimini by Autoweave.  They work really well.

Did you get a build date yet?

Thanks Ryan,  appreciate it.    No build date yet... I have started to get a LITTLE concerned (not a lot yet).   As of the open house, they thought I would have a date within a week.  It's been 2 and a half weeks now, and I am starting to think I may be into May before I get the boat.   Not the end of the world, but Im gettin anxious.  Given that it is going to be 80 this weekend, I am going to have the bug BAD - even if it was just to be working on the boat.

Soooo... starting to wonder if there is a problem with my order.  

• Ordered Feb 4, thought we would have spray date within a couple weeks.   Found that the order included black speakers, had dealer change that to white a couple of days later.   Dealer said it went through without issue because the build had not been scheduled yet, but slight potential for impacting the spray date.
  • Went to dealer open house 3 weeks later, they checked, and there was no spray date yet.   Told me that should probably have one by the end of the week (would have been Friday the 3rd).
  • The following Thursday (March 9) sent email to Mailbu factory to try to set up a tour.  Within a couple of hours, received a very nice note back saying that they were at a show, and would get back to me Monday when they returned.   
  • Didnt hear back, so last night (Tuesday) sent a follow up email.   Received a reply this morning that was just a touch evasive, saying were not able to get the spray date yet, and would get back to me, but with no expectation on when.    I am a PM by trade, and I have seen a lot of stalling emails in my time.   Im not saying this one was, but it did pass the sniff test for trying to buy time.
  • Also have noticed that they have not listed my previous boat that I traded in... which they now have had for quite some time.   Not my issue, but an interesting data point.

Im not sure what to make of this.   I really dont want to be "that guy" that is a pest.   But we are starting to stare down the start of the season.  I will not be terribly happy if we get well into May without a boat, especially after choosing to spend significantly more to stay with this dealer, and order a custom 2017. 

Having never bought a Malibu in the past, and certainly not a custom order boat - is my expectation that I should at least know the spray date (nearly 6 weeks after ordering) by now unreasonable - or do I just need to cool my heels and be patient?

There were spray dates available before that. Dealers also insert build dates for showroom boats they can use for a custom boat as long as there is about 6 weeks of lead time. I suspect they took a bunch of show orders contingent on delivery dates and you got moved to the back of the line. 

Edited by Sailvi767
38 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I really dont want to be "that guy"

BE THAT GUY.  You are spending a ton of money and if you aren't "that guy", then everyone else will.  We are now getting late in the show season so it will be tougher to make memorial day.

I'd call and ask for details of what is happening Jeff.  Not sure what is happening, and it might not be anything, but you know the old saying.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

• Like 3

Talked to the dealer.  Looks like the "Slot Date" is April 17 which I understand to be the same as the spray date.     While I think Salvi767 may well be right, it probably is not the end of the world.    The prior boat I dunked the first time in the last week of April, and the next year in the 2nd week of May... all dependent on weather of course.   I would think the boat should be here EARLY May, at least I would hope so.

With some luck, if the weather is good before that, maybe I can find another kind soul in Colorado to help me get on the water before the VLX is delivered.  :whistle:  For crying out loud, it is supposed to be 80 here on Sunday.   I don't think my primary lake even opens its ramps until April 1. 

Things that can influence where you end up in a dealers pecking order for a spray date include what you paid. Higher margin sale will get priority. The type of sale is also a issue. If you did a trade in and the trade has decent value they often prefer to give themselves as much time as possible to market and sell the trade. If the purchase is contingent on the consignment sale of your old boat you might also slip down the list. The reason in both cases is the dealer does not want to pay flooring costs for the new boat or trade.

18 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

Things that can influence where you end up in a dealers pecking order for a spray date include what you paid. Higher margin sale will get priority. The type of sale is also a issue. If you did a trade in and the trade has decent value they often prefer to give themselves as much time as possible to market and sell the trade. If the purchase is contingent on the consignment sale of your old boat you might also slip down the list. The reason in both cases is the dealer does not want to pay flooring costs for the new boat or trade.

I believe the overall deal (both my purchase price and trade value) were decent.   That may well be influencing my position, and can understand the business realities that they face.   As long as the delivery date does not slip a bunch shortening an already short season, I wont be much of a pain.  It is VERY weird being boatless right now tho... With the weekend we have on tap, I would have DEFINITELY had the boat back at the house working on spring projects, and doing a little driveway boating.  A draw or three off the garage kegerator would have been in order.   I guess the good news is that when it does finally arrive, there will not be much to do before dunking it.

Your spray date seems about right to me. I ordered mine at the beginning of January and it was finished this week. Between the beginning of January and February, I am sure there were a few boat show orders placed.