Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member, Hopefully new 22 VLX

JeffC

@ahopkinsTXiWow, that is a SHARP boat... I think it is interesting how much darker midnight blue looks in reality compared to the Malibu boat builder.   If that is the color that mine will be, then I am going to be VERY happy.  The Machine Silver Metallic really SHOULD pop against that.    I would love to take a pull behind that too... Ill never see a ski wake like the response, but Im too old and too big to do anything more than a recreational free ski anyway.

Thank for posting those up!

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, JeffC said:

@ahopkinsTXiWow, that is a SHARP boat... I think it is interesting how much darker midnight blue looks in reality compared to the Malibu boat builder.   If that is the color that mine will be, then I am going to be VERY happy.  The Machine Silver Metallic really SHOULD pop against that.    I would love to take a pull behind that too... Ill never see a ski wake like the response, but Im too old and too big to do anything more than a recreational free ski anyway.

Thank for posting those up!

No problem. It was a very sharp boat and very classic. She is home to some one in northern MI now. We have a much brighter color scheme in our TXi now, Machine Silver and Vapor Blue. Not as classic but I love it. The silver will look great next to the Midnight blue.

A wake from a response is even awesome for rec skiing ;).

7 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Speakers are white on his pics. The black is just the cone I think.  

To the OP, grab some speaker soxx for them and your racks.  I love mine.  

Im still putting together my list of stuff to buy before I take delivery, but so far I have on my list:

• Box anchor - I have a decent Danforth, but my stern anchor is a mushroom today, and it was useless on the 18' boat.  It doesnt stand a chance on the Malibu
  • Transom Pad - since I will be learning to surf.   Hoping we can get the group buy going again on those
  • 2 x fire extinguishers.   I have one on the Crownline, but will let it go with the boat, I want new ones anyway.  The rest of the standard safety gear I should be able to bring over from the old boat.
  • 2 x SeatSavers to protect the seats when people are boarding
  • WakeSurf board and rope. I am thinking something fairly tame to start with - Maybe a Hyperlite Landlock?
  • Might replace the igloo cooler with an AO 48 (low priority)
  • New fenders to mount with the Phender Pros.   I saw some nice big inflatable ones at the Tommy's pro shop.   Would be nice to deflate to store long term.
  • Additional PFDs (going to need more than the 8 I am bringing from old boat)
  • SpeakerSox
  • Registration Numbers
  • Trailer Guide Pads
  • GatorStep for the deck
  • Drysuit so I can start season a little early (depending on when I get the boat)
  • New toolset - Looking for the right thing, but something in a water resistant case with full set of wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.  The tools in the CL were pretty beat, and will leave them behind.
  • I didnt buy the backup camera, so thinking about seeing if I can run a cable to the glovebox from my go pro mounted on a suction cup.   Maybe can record, and be able to display the image on the dash?

As I look at that list, I think I see a little excitement/anticipation in there.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, JeffC said:

Im still putting together my list of stuff to buy before I take delivery, but so far I have on my list:

• Transom Pad - since I will be learning to surf.   Hoping we can get the group buy going again on those
  • GatorStep for the deck

I too will be planning on getting the gator step/seadeck for the deck.  When I order the kit I'm going to see if I can get a transom piece made like on the Nautiques (example below).  I like this idea much better then an aftermarket transom pad.  Looks much more factory to me, and will complement all of the other gator/seadeck on the boat.

334786_p_t_640x480_image09.jpg

10 hours ago, SCMike said:

I too will be planning on getting the gator step/seadeck for the deck.  When I order the kit I'm going to see if I can get a transom piece made like on the Nautiques (example below).  I like this idea much better then an aftermarket transom pad.  Looks much more factory to me, and will complement all of the other gator/seadeck on the boat.

334786_p_t_640x480_image09.jpg

Interesting!  It is a good look.   For me, I wonder if that is enough coverage until I figure out surfing.  I could see the board popping up out of the water, and hitting higher on the transom as I do my best imitation of a back flip.

6 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Interesting!  It is a good look.   For me, I wonder if that is enough coverage until I figure out surfing.  I could see the board popping up out of the water, and hitting higher on the transom as I do my best imitation of a back flip.

I've always considered the transom protector to be more of a need for protection when you're wakeboarding, particularly for beginners as they wrestle with getting strapped in and ding the board against the transom. I can't recall a time in the last few years with our boat where a surf board hit it, and my family is/were beginners and have taught quite a few others since too. The board usually spits out to the side when surfing.

26 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I've always considered the transom protector to be more of a need for protection when you're wakeboarding, particularly for beginners as they wrestle with getting strapped in and ding the board against the transom. I can't recall a time in the last few years with our boat where a surf board hit it, and my family is/were beginners and have taught quite a few others since too. The board usually spits out to the side when surfing.

I have a transom pad that I bring out and use only when I am taking out a group of beginners wakeboarding.  This is usually with either high school and middle school groups from our church or during our annual unit picnic on the river.  During that one I take lots of the kids, and some adults, out and teach them how to board.  For my usual crew, it is not an issue and I leave the pad at home.

31 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Disagree.  I run mine always on.  Has saved the back a couple times from a board hitting it, beginners or not.  I ended up missing the coverage on mine and put a minor scratch on the boat last year with a failed trick (was approaching the boat fast and lost it).

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

I agree here.  I've never come close to hitting the transom surfing, but it's very likely to get hit while putting on your wakeboard.  For that, the seadeck style transom pad is perfect.  I personally don't see the need for a larger bulkier pad.  

Agreed with the others.  We have done quite a bit of surfing over the last several years.  Never had the board hit the boat.  

That said, I would likely be in for a transom protector as people flailing on the platform trying to don their wakeboard creates a danger for dings.

30 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Agreed with the others.  We have done quite a bit of surfing over the last several years.  Never had the board hit the boat.  

That said, I would likely be in for a transom protector as people flailing on the platform trying to don their wakeboard creates a danger for dings.

At least within my family, outright fear of the old mans wrath would probably be a pretty good deterrent to flailing on the platform.  :-)    In all seriousness, a good point.   I had a ski hit the side of the crownline this season, fortunately slow enough it didnt do anything, but it can happen.

I am looking forward to the ability to put on the slalom on the platform too, and hop off.   Life will be easier (and warmer).

@JeffC, it usually isn't family members I am worried about with the boat (with the possible exception of brain dead teenage nieces/nephews).  It is the friends who come along that are the biggest dangers....

On 2/4/2017 at 5:57 PM, JeffC said:

Well, it is done.   I will be the happy owner of a new Mailibu 22 VLX by the time spring breaks.    It has been a long road, and a ton of change, and no small amount of gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.  In the end, CFO was actually encouraging me to option it up a bit, I think because she doesn't ever want to hear me complaining that I didn't include something I wanted. I also think she really wanted the custom boat, wanting the colors SHE wanted, not what was in stock, even if it saved us a little.    It will be a 2017 22 VLX, with:

• Monsoon 6.2L 410 HO 410HP
  • High Altitude/Torque Prop 15 x 1425 -2249
  • Boat Cover w/Black Zip Cleat and Fuel Fill Pockets
  • SS Ratchet W/Retractable Straps
  • Bimini Top and Boot w/Rope and Wakesurf Storage
  • Illusion G3.5 Tower (white)
  • Rack - PTM Clamping Spinner slide off
  • Rack - PTM Clamping Spinner slide off
  • Phender Pro - Quick Release Pin & Receiver
  • Pull up cleats - 2 pair
  • Docking Lights (Pair, 6 LEDs ea)
  • Wake View Seating
  • Ladder - Undermount Swimstep
  • Hot water Shower
  • Heater, 3 outlet, V Drives
  • Dual Batteries

• Sound System - Wake VLX Pack (6 in spkrs)
  • Subwoofer - 12 in subwoofer (w/amp)
  • Tower Amp - 500w
  • Speakers - Wet sounds Icon 8 - Black
  • Transom Remote

• Sport Dash w/Rotary VDC 4 Way Joystick
  • Side Pull Surfing Point - Port and Stbd
  • Ballast HI FLOW Bow Malibu Launch System
  • Ballast HI FLOW Rear PNP Plumbing
  • Surf Gate w/Malibu Surfband
  • Wedge - Power Wedge II
  • 14 in Alloy
  • 14 in Alloy Spare w/Side Carrier
  • Transom Step w/Slimline LED

This is the final look. Cant wait to see her live.

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20Side_zpscwdmvrko.png

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20Bow_zpsmxxh5dza.png

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20stern_zps6v1gjru5.png

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20interior_zpsc1yhnzrw.

Very nice!

Did your pen miss any of the option boxes? ;)

Edited by teamerickson
1 hour ago, teamerickson said:

Very nice!

Did your pen miss any of the option boxes? ;)

It is pretty well optioned but I missed quite a few.   The only one I worry much about is the big motor, since I boat at over 5000 feet.   Having said that there seems to be very little difference between the 410 and the 450 until you get over 3800 rpm.   Couldn't convince myself that I needed to spend over 6k for that.   Most everything else was either big $$ or things I felt I could  do aftermarket if I decided I wanted it.

Beautiful boat...small detail, not sure if this was intentional.  Your boat build picture shows white speaker housings, your description shows black.  Since both are available (white is a small upcharge), thought I'd at least call it out so you are getting exactly what you want.  I've been building quite a bit lately myself and have been toying with some of these colors/options

@2THEL8K Wow, good catch.  It was mentioned before, and I just attributed it to the way boat builder displayed it... but because it was in the option list, I went to look at the sales order (which I cut/pasted into my spreadsheet), and sure enough it shows black.  Sending a note to sales manager now...    Thanks for calling it out again.

On 1/14/2017 at 5:18 AM, Gavin17 said:

I'd do a stereo delete and get it added afterwards.

Your gel scheme looks great!  If you really care about the slalom wake it's OK to have 2  boats.  An older closed bow DD is downright cheap compared to new boats.  Or find a friend with a slalom tug.  My club has a prostar and my father in law has a ski natique. My wife and I both ski and have a 23 lsv.  My ski friends thought I was crazy for buying it but really I'm brilliant.

Hi Gavin17, do you do much skiing behind your LSV?  Sounds like you have the ideal options avail to you (true slalom boat).  I've been debating the 22 vs 23 and am not leaning towards the 23 as more room would be nice, and not sure the 14" will make enough of a difference on the ski wake (with a diamond hull) to warrant the smaller boat.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:13 PM, JeffC said:

• Box anchor - I have a decent Danforth, but my stern anchor is a mushroom today, and it was useless on the 18' boat.  It doesnt stand a chance on the Malibu
  • 2 x fire extinguishers.   I have one on the Crownline, but will let it go with the boat, I want new ones anyway.  The rest of the standard safety gear I should be able to bring over from the old boat.
  • 2 x SeatSavers to protect the seats when people are boarding
  • WakeSurf board and rope. I am thinking something fairly tame to start with - Maybe a Hyperlite Landlock?
  • Might replace the igloo cooler with an AO 48 (low priority)
  • New fenders to mount with the Phender Pros.   I saw some nice big inflatable ones at the Tommy's pro shop.   Would be nice to deflate to store long term.
  • Additional PFDs (going to need more than the 8 I am bringing from old boat)
  • SpeakerSox
  • Registration Numbers
  • Trailer Guide Pads
  • GatorStep for the deck
  • Drysuit so I can start season a little early (depending on when I get the boat)
  • New toolset - Looking for the right thing, but something in a water resistant case with full set of wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.  The tools in the CL were pretty beat, and will leave them behind.
  • I didnt buy the backup camera, so thinking about seeing if I can run a cable to the glovebox from my go pro mounted on a suction cup.   Maybe can record, and be able to display the image on the dash?

As I look at that list, I think I see a little excitement/anticipation in there.

Good list. I have a few notes for you.

1. I believe the 2017s have a fire suppression system built in.  

2. Fenders - This is what I have and theyre awesome. http://stowawayboatfenders.com/

3. If you do tie-ups at all get yourself so Hippityhops or the exile balls.  They make life 100x easier. http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/exile-buoy-ball-fender.html

4. Domed numbers for registration. http://shop.domednumbers.com/

5. Drysuit - While theyre nice, some of the newer wetsuits are nice enough that you wouldnt need a dry suit. Id consider spending top $ to get a good wetsuit over a dry suit. My dry suit is really half wet, half dry and both halves generally stay dry, but I fint the top half being a dry suit gets pretty cold if I dont wear something under. Add gloves to your list though. 

6. Wakesurf board - I like the Ronix Koal Thruster or something like it.  Itll be easy enough to teach people on but still fun enough.  I feel like with a landlock you might just get bored fast. 

21 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Good list. I have a few notes for you.

1. I believe the 2017s have a fire suppression system built in.  

2. Fenders - This is what I have and theyre awesome. http://stowawayboatfenders.com/

3. If you do tie-ups at all get yourself so Hippityhops or the exile balls.  They make life 100x easier. http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/exile-buoy-ball-fender.html

4. Domed numbers for registration. http://shop.domednumbers.com/

5. Drysuit - While theyre nice, some of the newer wetsuits are nice enough that you wouldnt need a dry suit. Id consider spending top $ to get a good wetsuit over a dry suit. My dry suit is really half wet, half dry and both halves generally stay dry, but I fint the top half being a dry suit gets pretty cold if I dont wear something under. Add gloves to your list though. 

6. Wakesurf board - I like the Ronix Koal Thruster or something like it.  Itll be easy enough to teach people on but still fun enough.  I feel like with a landlock you might just get bored fast. 

@05hammerheadIt is offered, but was an expensive option (I forget how much, but it put me off).   Have looked at an aftermarket FireBoy, and may add that at some point.   I like the idea of something automate in the engine compartment.   If there was ever a fire, then opening the covers would feed oxygen to the fire, and could be ugly.    

We did a lot of tie ups with the old boat, not sure there will be as much opportunity with this one as I expect to be spending a LOT more time on watersports (surfing).    But I like the inflatable fenders... what valve is used on that?    

Domed numbers site bookmarked!   Those are very sharp. 

The wakesurf board is a mystery to me... having only ever tried once, and that was on a skim board, I really dont know what is best.   Im fairly large (5'11, 220).   Looked a the Thruster based upon your suggestion.    Probably will go with something like that... when I got up on the slalom ski for the first time in 30 years, I quickly became bored, and went out to get a more aggressive ski after about a half dozen pulls.

38 minutes ago, mniba1 said:

A similar look to my Midnight Blue, you'll love it!NuBu.jpg

@mniba1 Thanks!   I have been looking for something similar, had not found much.   The boat builder pictures really do not do the pictures of a real boat much justice, and I betting that even the real pictures do not do much justice to how it looks live.   Needless to say, I love your color scheme!   What is your ski rack?  I was looking at those yesterday, didnt find much the mounts to the G3.5 tower.   Does it swivel?

Not bad at all @teamerickson.  We almost did a very similar blue boat last year, but in the end went Aggie Maroon (aka Reuben) like always.  Delivery day is like every Christmas morning ever wrapped up into one moment.  We're excited for you!

32519286540_bdc8e2ca0e_b.jpg

24746032444_60d3b933bc_b.jpg

Edited by Slurpee
51 minutes ago, JeffC said:

@05hammerheadIt is offered, but was an expensive option (I forget how much, but it put me off).   Have looked at an aftermarket FireBoy, and may add that at some point.   I like the idea of something automate in the engine compartment.   If there was ever a fire, then opening the covers would feed oxygen to the fire, and could be ugly.    

We did a lot of tie ups with the old boat, not sure there will be as much opportunity with this one as I expect to be spending a LOT more time on watersports (surfing).    But I like the inflatable fenders... what valve is used on that?    

Domed numbers site bookmarked!   Those are very sharp. 

The wakesurf board is a mystery to me... having only ever tried once, and that was on a skim board, I really dont know what is best.   Im fairly large (5'11, 220).   Looked a the Thruster based upon your suggestion.    Probably will go with something like that... when I got up on the slalom ski for the first time in 30 years, I quickly became bored, and went out to get a more aggressive ski after about a half dozen pulls.

@mniba1 Thanks!   I have been looking for something similar, had not found much.   The boat builder pictures really do not do the pictures of a real boat much justice, and I betting that even the real pictures do not do much justice to how it looks live.   Needless to say, I love your color scheme!   What is your ski rack?  I was looking at those yesterday, didnt find much the mounts to the G3.5 tower.   Does it swivel?

Oh, I thought the fire thing was a standard thing.  Id probably save the cash.  As for tie-ups, buy two of those balls and leave them deflated just in case.  Its an easy $40 that will save you a ton of stress hoping another boat isnt banging into yours.  The inflatable fenders have two valves fitted together, one for fill(One way) and one for empty, making them super easy to just blow em up with your lungs.  The exile balls you could blow up with lungs in a pinch but if you did it a lot youll want a pump.  I bought mine on amazon for $20 with cigarette adapter. 

Youre going to own more surf boards than you want to, but youll for sure want one that will be used for any and everyone, that thruster is a pretty good option for that.  Youll eventually buy yourself something ridiculously expensive and made of carbon fiber and refuse to share it with others.  Ask me how I know.  Then your wife will want a board thats her size so she can start killin the tricks as well.  Again, ask me how I know.  I currently own 5 wakeboards(Mine, wifes, guest kids, guest small feet, guest big feet) 4 surfers(Mine(Phase 5 Hammerhead), wifes(Phase 5 oogle), get everyone up board(Ronix Koal Thruster), and a surf style that one of my friends convinced me I needed but I dont like(P5 Swell)), 1 wakeskate, 1 tube(used for lounging not actual tubing) and a pair of skis.  The wife will likely be getting a carbon board this year in her size, and of course she gets a new vest every year cause she wants a new color scheme...guess I know why I cant afford a newer boat.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:33 AM, JeffC said:

Best I can do is probably in south Colorado (Pueblo which is at 4600 feet).   Pretty sure everything up here is frozen over.   In my current condition, even if I had a drysuit, Im not sure I trust what I might learn... the holidays have been... how shall I say this... ROUGH on my waistline.   Too much craft beer and good food.   Probably rip the transom off :-)

I looked at the HP and torque curves, and it really does look like there is not much difference up to 3800 rpm... but that is a chart.   The real world may well turn out to be a lot different.

All this serves to confuse my decision making, but have to say it is always fun thinking about a boat. 

Up to 3800 rpm they are identical, F-man is correct, the 450 is nothing more than a tune...... 

Keep in mind that when you accelerate a boat the rpm jumps rapidly above what you sustain once the boat is at the desired speed. The rpm the boat is at under acceleration is where you want the most torque. That's probably in the 4500 RPM range. I have the 450 in a 22VLX and using the 2277 prop can easily accelerate the boat with full factory ballast, wedge, 1600 lbs of PNP and a 650lb bow sack while still having a 42MPH top speed. Switching to a 2017 LSV with the same engine. I am going to put the 2277 on that boat but purchased a 2401 as a backup. It will be interesting to see what the boat is capable of with the 2401.