Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member, Hopefully new 22 VLX

JeffC

Jeff, I have a 22VLX and came from a Sea Ray that we used for footing and skiing. You will find a world of difference in how you boat. The I/O boats get up on top of the water as compared to wake boats tend to be tug boats. Not saying anything is wrong, but there will be a change on how you cruise. In my I/O we could kick it up to 50 mph to get from point to point. In the vlx we just cruise. I find that the wake is a bit high for aggressive skiing. Surfing has now become the major sport, and as an avid barefooter there is nothing wrong with 11mph falls when you surf. I have the pop up light and would not want the other, I would suggest the built in fire extinguisher. I have the transom ladder and the wife uses it all the time. I installed a battery charger on board and suggest this. You will love the space in these boats. I purchased an extra board rack and also use the Bimini storage as some riders bring a wake and surf board. One suggestion is look to Exile Audio and order a couple of their Black Ball fenders. They are huge to space mooring boats next to each other and you can deflate them to save room. An other suggestion is AOCooler as the tiny igloo is only big enough for a round of drinks. Additionally i added a large cooler at the walk thru and moved the lid hinges so it opens at the end instead of the side.  The VLX needs bow weight and a 150lb cooler will help the surf wake. You will get a lot of suggestions on how to spend money from the Bu Crew. SURFS UP

Well, if you want to read up on the stereo, see below.  The 2017 stuff is much improved whereas previously most would have advised to go aftermarket.  I personally would still like some knobs for zone control vs the sliders on the screen that comes from the factory now.  

16 hours ago, Bird said:

Jeff, I have a 22VLX and came from a Sea Ray that we used for footing and skiing. You will find a world of difference in how you boat. The I/O boats get up on top of the water as compared to wake boats tend to be tug boats. Not saying anything is wrong, but there will be a change on how you cruise. In my I/O we could kick it up to 50 mph to get from point to point. In the vlx we just cruise. I find that the wake is a bit high for aggressive skiing. Surfing has now become the major sport, and as an avid barefooter there is nothing wrong with 11mph falls when you surf. I have the pop up light and would not want the other, I would suggest the built in fire extinguisher. I have the transom ladder and the wife uses it all the time. I installed a battery charger on board and suggest this. You will love the space in these boats. I purchased an extra board rack and also use the Bimini storage as some riders bring a wake and surf board. One suggestion is look to Exile Audio and order a couple of their Black Ball fenders. They are huge to space mooring boats next to each other and you can deflate them to save room. An other suggestion is AOCooler as the tiny igloo is only big enough for a round of drinks. Additionally i added a large cooler at the walk thru and moved the lid hinges so it opens at the end instead of the side.  The VLX needs bow weight and a 150lb cooler will help the surf wake. You will get a lot of suggestions on how to spend money from the Bu Crew. SURFS UP

What is more fun than spending others money?  I love helping someone else buy a boat, car, house... all the fun, no commitment!

Is yours a diamond or wake hull?    I am expecting the loss of speed.   My 182 would do mid 40's on most water, I routinely pass wake boats at our lake if I am trying to get back to the ramp in a hurry.   But I really dont care... I am buying this boat for water sports, and hanging out.    I guess if I were to take it to Powell (which I would very much like to do), it will be a bit of an issue because I would be covering a whole lot more distance.  But at our local lake (7 miles) it just isnt that much of an issue.

I dont fully get the pop up light thing, but Im thinking of adding it based upon all the support for it here.  We did board over the bow when were were camping at the lake... I dont beach, and like to anchor a bit off and keep the prop safely in deeper water.  RE: the charger, I have a jump box I carry with me - I have never needed for my boat, but I have been known to get others running!   I did take the dual batteries.  

I am traveling on business this week... probably timely, as it is a good "cooling off" period.

18 hours ago, Fman said:

@JeffC, I have a brand new piece of Deckadence I never used in my 22VLX, it is the gray color with Malibu logo.

@FmanWas that a factory option, or did you cut/have it cut for you?    It does not snap in correct?   Opens up some interesting options.

2 hours ago, JeffC said:

@FmanWas that a factory option, or did you cut/have it cut for you?    It does not snap in correct?   Opens up some interesting options.

@JeffCIt was specifically ordered for the 22 VLX, it just lays on top of the floor, requires no snaps.  It has ribbot backing that grips the fiberglass floor.  I will be using this in my LSV, it is the best flooring I have ever used in a boat.  We really enjoyed it and after two seasons and 195 hours of use there was literally no wear.  The piece I am selling is brand new, never used before.

Jeff, I have the diamond hull. My trailer was made locally and I have brakes on all wheels and suggest the same, I don't know how the Malibu is set up. I also have back up lights and LEDs along the frame rails for loading at night.

The plot is thickening a little bit.   Have not been able to get a custom order 2017 quite where I need it price wise, so broadened my search to lightly used 2015+ boats, and also had relaxed my Diamond hull requirement a little.

This morning however, have located a new 2016 diamond hull 22 VLX.   Options are pretty close to what I had listed, but it is the 410.    Just read through this thread, which led me to believe that it wont make a lot of difference at the lower RPM range (<3800).

But... having no experience with inboards, I dont know if that is going to be an issue for me at altitude.   When we put together the build list for the 2017, we were assuming the High Altitude/Torque 15 x 1425 - 2249 would be the choice.    So, if I took this 2016 with the Monsoon 410 and re-propped it, should I be ok for surf, and for ski at 28-31 mph without beating the crap out of it?

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions...

Jeff

Edited by JeffC

Is there a way for you to demo the boat on the lake you will be riding on?  I have heard the 450 is a re-tune and not really much better than the 410, but I have no experience comparing them on the water so take that lightly.  You really need to take the boat out on the water how you want to use it, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum BUT its a lot of your $ at risk and the last thing you want is to either over pay for an engine upgrade you did not need or have an engine with not enough power.  Real world hands on demo that is what you need imo.

Best I can do is probably in south Colorado (Pueblo which is at 4600 feet).   Pretty sure everything up here is frozen over.   In my current condition, even if I had a drysuit, Im not sure I trust what I might learn... the holidays have been... how shall I say this... ROUGH on my waistline.   Too much craft beer and good food.   Probably rip the transom off :-)

I looked at the HP and torque curves, and it really does look like there is not much difference up to 3800 rpm... but that is a chart.   The real world may well turn out to be a lot different.

All this serves to confuse my decision making, but have to say it is always fun thinking about a boat. 

20 hours ago, Fman said:

Is there a way for you to demo the boat on the lake you will be riding on?  I have heard the 450 is a re-tune and not really much better than the 410, but I have no experience comparing them on the water so take that lightly.  You really need to take the boat out on the water how you want to use it, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum BUT its a lot of your $ at risk and the last thing you want is to either over pay for an engine upgrade you did not need or have an engine with not enough power.  Real world hands on demo that is what you need imo.

Correct, the 450 is just a flash. The torque ratings are identical up to 3800 rpm.

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JeffC said:

Well, it is done.   I will be the happy owner of a new Mailibu 22 VLX by the time spring breaks.    It has been a long road, and a ton of change, and no small amount of gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.  In the end, CFO was actually encouraging me to option it up a bit, I think because she doesn't ever want to hear me complaining that I didn't include something I wanted. I also think she really wanted the custom boat, wanting the colors SHE wanted, not what was in stock, even if it saved us a little.    It will be a 2017 22 VLX, with:

• Monsoon 6.2L 410 HO 410HP
  • High Altitude/Torque Prop 15 x 1425 -2249
  • Boat Cover w/Black Zip Cleat and Fuel Fill Pockets
  • SS Ratchet W/Retractable Straps
  • Bimini Top and Boot w/Rope and Wakesurf Storage
  • Illusion G3.5 Tower (white)
  • Rack - PTM Clamping Spinner slide off
  • Rack - PTM Clamping Spinner slide off
  • Phender Pro - Quick Release Pin & Receiver
  • Pull up cleats - 2 pair
  • Docking Lights (Pair, 6 LEDs ea)
  • Wake View Seating
  • Ladder - Undermount Swimstep
  • Hot water Shower
  • Heater, 3 outlet, V Drives
  • Dual Batteries

• Sound System - Wake VLX Pack (6 in spkrs)
  • Subwoofer - 12 in subwoofer (w/amp)
  • Tower Amp - 500w
  • Speakers - Wet sounds Icon 8 - Black
  • Transom Remote

• Sport Dash w/Rotary VDC 4 Way Joystick
  • Side Pull Surfing Point - Port and Stbd
  • Ballast HI FLOW Bow Malibu Launch System
  • Ballast HI FLOW Rear PNP Plumbing
  • Surf Gate w/Malibu Surfband
  • Wedge - Power Wedge II
  • 14 in Alloy
  • 14 in Alloy Spare w/Side Carrier
  • Transom Step w/Slimline LED

This is the final look. Cant wait to see her live.

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20Side_zpscwdmvrko.png

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20Bow_zpsmxxh5dza.png

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20stern_zps6v1gjru5.png

22%20VLX%20FINAL%20interior_zpsc1yhnzrw.

Congrats!  She's purrrdy 

2 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Congrats!  She's purrrdy 

I think so (and hope so!).   I did find a picture of a midnight blue/white 20 VTX on the water online... and it looked VERY sharp.   I dont think boat builder comes close to doing the color schemes justice.   The machine silver metallic deck panel was new to the final scheme... I do think that will set the midnight blue off nicely.   I also fell off the money band wagon in a moment of weakness and added the clamping racks at the last minute, as well as the docking lights and phender pros (I dont want to cut into the gel myself on a brand new boat).  

Just now, JeffC said:

(I dont want to cut into the gel myself on a brand new boat).  

I'm with you there.  I ordered a 21vlx and you can't option if up really at all.  I would have liked to add some transom lights and a 3rd set of cleats.  I'm a bit nurvious to cut into the boat for a diy install. 

22VLX is a fantastic boat!  :thumbup:Congratulations, you are in for a great summer!!!  good move on going with PTM racks, definitely a nice upgrade from the bunji style.

Looking forward to seeing the delivery pics, when does it spray?

26 minutes ago, Fman said:

22VLX is a fantastic boat!  :thumbup:Congratulations, you are in for a great summer!!!  good move on going with PTM racks, definitely a nice upgrade from the bunji style.

Looking forward to seeing the delivery pics, when does it spray?

Dont know yet, they are telling me it will be a week or so before I get the date.   They are setting expectations that I am probably 10-12 weeks out.   That time is going to CRAWL by... doubly slow now because I am completely boatless.  

Jeff, nice job on the custom build! I was too cheap to not get the holdover 2016 22 VLX. I just picked mine up Tuesday. Can't wait for a warm spring to arrive but I did order a wet suit this week. 

ahopkins22LSV

I really like your design. Blue is so classic, and looks great. But you used it in a slightly different way IMO with the main color being a non-flake blue with white and silver flake accents. Will look great. Our first boat was that color blue and it looked awesome. You won't be disappointed. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I really like your design. Blue is so classic, and looks great. But you used it in a slightly different way IMO with the main color being a non-flake blue with white and silver flake accents. Will look great. Our first boat was that color blue and it looked awesome. You won't be disappointed. 

@ahopkinsTXi Thanks!   I was going for a classic look that had just a little flash to it.    I would LOVE to see some pictures of your first boat if you have them.   I have not had a lot of success finding pictures of midnight blue... I thought it was hard to visualize with what the boat builder gives you.

ahopkins22LSV
36 minutes ago, JeffC said:

@ahopkinsTXi Thanks!   I was going for a classic look that had just a little flash to it.    I would LOVE to see some pictures of your first boat if you have them.   I have not had a lot of success finding pictures of midnight blue... I thought it was hard to visualize with what the boat builder gives you.

Here ya go!

image-13.jpg

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg