Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member, Hopefully new 22 VLX

JeffC

14 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

Your spray date seems about right to me. I ordered mine at the beginning of January and it was finished this week. Between the beginning of January and February, I am sure there were a few boat show orders placed. 

Including mine... This all started when we fell in love with the 22 VLX at the Denver Boat show :biggrin:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JeffC said:

Including mine... This all started when we fell in love with the 22 VLX at the Denver Boat show :biggrin:

Wait until you get it out on the water!  The 22vlx is legit, great boat... you won't be disappointed!

• Like 2
On 2/23/2017 at 11:27 PM, 2THEL8K said:

I don't have any experience with a box anchor, but am reading good things about them.  Would you recommend a small or large for a 22/23ft boat?

Small..... maybe even baby.... I have the small and we anchor 3-4 boats at tie up with mine

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • 1 month later...

It is finally getting real.   Landed in Chicago on my way back from the UK, and found these in my in basket.   Now time is REALLY slowing down.   Not sure how much longer it will take now, but it is going to feel like a whole lot more than it is.

f5XBdKM.jpg

8H97KXf.jpg

Good for you, Jeff.  Any idea when you expecting to take delivery?  I have had a couple of hiccups with mine but overall very happy and excited to get all the gremlins out and on with the season. Have you been sent anymore pics?

40 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

Good for you, Jeff.  Any idea when you expecting to take delivery?  I have had a couple of hiccups with mine but overall very happy and excited to get all the gremlins out and on with the season. Have you been sent anymore pics?

Not really - If I were guessing they will finish it this week, then ship it here, then the dealer will need some prep time.   Probably BEST case is the weekend of the 6th, but who knows. 

What have you run into with yours?  Im prepared to have some bugs to wring out... hopefully nothing that will keep us off the water.    Whenever I take delivery, planning on a day of rigging, and another day or so of clean/wax/protect.  

No more pics, and not really expecting any, but I can say from what I have seen that Im pretty sure I am going to love the color.   Had a lot of second thoughts looking at the boat builder pics, but I love the look of the midnight blue in those pictures.   Cant wait to see it in the sun!

12 hours ago, JeffC said:

Not really - If I were guessing they will finish it this week, then ship it here, then the dealer will need some prep time.   Probably BEST case is the weekend of the 6th, but who knows. 

What have you run into with yours?  Im prepared to have some bugs to wring out... hopefully nothing that will keep us off the water.    Whenever I take delivery, planning on a day of rigging, and another day or so of clean/wax/protect.  

No more pics, and not really expecting any, but I can say from what I have seen that Im pretty sure I am going to love the color.   Had a lot of second thoughts looking at the boat builder pics, but I love the look of the midnight blue in those pictures.   Cant wait to see it in the sun!

I had the dealer add a surfpipe that turned out to be a source of a lot of water in the bilge.  It was leaking where it connected to the manifold.  

The only speakers that work in the boat are the port speakers.  

Had a bad seam in a seat.

The dealer has been great and it fixing everything as quickly as possible. 

29 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

I had the dealer add a surfpipe that turned out to be a source of a lot of water in the bilge.  It was leaking where it connected to the manifold.  

The only speakers that work in the boat are the port speakers.  

Had a bad seam in a seat.

The dealer has been great and it fixing everything as quickly as possible. 

I took delivery on my boat 2 months ago. There still is a bad seem. You would think QC would have caught it because it looks like it was cut with a knife. Also, my cabin speakers shut off when I go past the 50 percent mark. Still waiting on getting these fixed.

A sensor problem has been sending out a service warning signal that is very loud and my walk through window shattered in some rough water due to bow flex. Just a few of the wrinkles of owning a new boat.

7 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I took delivery on my boat 2 months ago. There still is a bad seem. You would think QC would have caught it because it looks like it was cut with a knife. Also, my cabin speakers shut off when I go past the 50 percent mark. Still waiting on getting these fixed.

A sensor problem has been sending out a service warning signal that is very loud and my walk through window shattered in some rough water due to bow flex. Just a few of the wrinkles of owning a new boat.

My port side speakers stopped working.. or are VERY quiet. Dealer is replacing the "brains" (small black box by Amps).

The windshield scares me, I thought it was determined that they do NOT break from hull flex???  According to my dealership, there was a service bulletin about windshield alignment but the 22 VLX was not included in the TSB.

My seat isn't that bad and will be fixed in the off season, which I am fine with. 

3 hours ago, Lees23 said:

My port side speakers stopped working.. or are VERY quiet. Dealer is replacing the "brains" (small black box by Amps).

The windshield scares me, I thought it was determined that they do NOT break from hull flex???  According to my dealership, there was a service bulletin about windshield alignment but the 22 VLX was not included in the TSB.

My seat isn't that bad and will be fixed in the off season, which I am fine with. 

I am more inclined to think my windshield shattered because of a very sharp piece of metal that is pushing up where the glass rests. They did a poor job of cutting the frame on the windshield and left a sharp piece of metal that was never smoothed out.

Edited by bbattiste247
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JeffC said:

The day I have been waiting for is almost here.   Boat is at the dealer... taking delivery Saturday morning.   Not sure if it is possible to be more excited, its like Christmas eve's eve, and I am like 4 years old.  

Should be on the Lake Sunday... might be playing some hooky next week

Might be? I think you meant will be.

33 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I'll be at Horsetooth on Sunday.  Southbay for a fishing seminar.  I'll wave as you go by.

Have to get you to take a break, and join us!  Not sure what time I will get up there (not a question of when I am willing to get up, but it might be a question of when the admiral is willing to roll).   I wont be doing much but running out the 10 break in hours. But it is supposed to be an awesome day (at least last time I looked).

3 hours ago, MadMan said:

Might be? I think you meant will be.

Safe bet... but I do have some business travel to do next week, will be a little harder to play hooky from Boston.

3 hours ago, JeffC said:

The day I have been waiting for is almost here.   Boat is at the dealer... taking delivery Saturday morning.   Not sure if it is possible to be more excited, its like Christmas eve's eve, and I am like 4 years old.  

Should be on the Lake Sunday... might be playing some hooky next week. 

Congrats!!! I know that you have had a longer than expected wait time.

I am super stoked to hear that they got your 22VLX to you this quickly from your April 17 build date.  I have been in the same waiting place as you.  We ordered our 22VLX about 3 weeks after you (Feb 23).  The last week in March our dealer said they just received our build date of May 8.  I am super excited that it will be coming soon

12 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Have to get you to take a break, and join us!  Not sure what time I will get up there (not a question of when I am willing to get up, but it might be a question of when the admiral is willing to roll).   I wont be doing much but running out the 10 break in hours. But it is supposed to be an awesome day (at least last time I looked).

I think the morning will be the seminar.  We talked about taking a boat up to the lake and having my wife (and dogs) tool around while I am doing it, but I am not sure how that will work out.  I haven't had time to decontaminate the Malibu since going to Lake Powell, and she isn't a big fan of the Lund.  So we will see.

Let's touch base Saturday.

Just now, RyanB said:

I think the morning will be the seminar.  We talked about taking a boat up to the lake and having my wife (and dogs) tool around while I am doing it, but I am not sure how that will work out.  I haven't had time to decontaminate the Malibu since going to Lake Powell, and she isn't a big fan of the Lund.  So we will see.

Let's touch base Saturday.

Probably the best plan... we have an event Saturday night, so how far I get into rigging Saturday is still iffy.   If I dont get it done Saturday PM, Ill have to finish it Sunday morning.   In theory it wont take me long, as I have everything staged and ready, but who knows.   Not sure what the rangers will make me do - whether the will just inspect, or insist on a decon since I dont have a tag. 

23 minutes ago, BLSousa said:

Congrats!!! I know that you have had a longer than expected wait time.

I am super stoked to hear that they got your 22VLX to you this quickly from your April 17 build date.  I have been in the same waiting place as you.  We ordered our 22VLX about 3 weeks after you (Feb 23).  The last week in March our dealer said they just received our build date of May 8.  I am super excited that it will be coming soon

Im ok with the wait time... I was just impatient as the weather turned, and I wanted to be on the water.   Tommy's has been great so far, really pleasant to work with.   Getting the Build date is a big step... awesome it is Monday, things start happening faster now.  

Ya know, they say anticipation is actually a pretty good part...  Would have to say that has been true.   I have learned a lot since the day I put it on order, including a LOT from people here, which I really appreciate.  There are a lot of decisions that came as a direct result of comments on the Crew... Color Scheme, Clamping Racks, SeatSavers, Speakersox (actually haven't ordered yet, want to see boat before I order to choose color),   putting in the PNP ballast right away, Wakesurf board choice, Phender Pros, and lots more that I cant remember off the top of my head.  The thread on the torque curve for the 410 and 450 was HUGELY educational.   Hope those involved have had fun spending my money!  :lol:

Come on Saturday... time to get here!!!

• Like 2

@jeffC, are you not doing an on the water test with Tommy's?  I thought they did that on delivery?  We tested at their little lake off Federal.

If you don't have a tag, ask Tommy's to certify it.  They can get you a tag.  Decontamination for me usually takes around 45 minutes.  If the inspector knows what they are doing....

2 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I have learned a lot since the day I put it on order, including a LOT from people here, which I really appreciate.  There are a lot of decisions that came as a direct result of comments on the Crew

And I have to thank you for taking the time and initiative to ask all those questions.  Since we were buying the same model, I had the benefit of being able to read this thread and all of the advice without having to ask myself.  :thankyou:

23 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Im ok with the wait time... I was just impatient as the weather turned, and I wanted to be on the water.

I understand how you feel when the weather turns sunny and your hearing of all the fun your friends had at the lake last weekend.  For some reason the 22VLX is taking a little longer to deliver than the 21 VLX and LSVs that others here have ordered.  I have to admit that I have been keeping an eye out for a post from you to report that your ship had come in :) because I knew that it would be the best indication of when we might get ours. I am not expecting ours before Memorial weekend but I would be totally stoked if it happens.

2 hours ago, RyanB said:

@jeffC, are you not doing an on the water test with Tommy's?  I thought they did that on delivery?  We tested at their little lake off Federal.

If you don't have a tag, ask Tommy's to certify it.  They can get you a tag.  Decontamination for me usually takes around 45 minutes.  If the inspector knows what they are doing....

I sure am expecting a water test....  guess I should be specific about that.   Didnt know they could tag it.... that is a good thing