Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member, Hopefully new 22 VLX

JeffC

Hello from Colorado! 

Just joined as we are seriously considering a 2017 22 VLX.   If I can come to the right deal, we could have it on order by the end of the month, and hopefully wet by April.   Would love to hear any thoughts/guidance given the following:

We currently have a 1997 Crownline 182 (in sweet condition) which we have enjoyed a ton since picking it up in late summer 2014.   Unfortunately, way too small, and not even the best ski boat, but it helped me prove that boating was not a passing fad for us.   Im older (57), still love to slalom ski.  I am clearly not a competition level skier, but still like to get out and kick up some rooster tails.   I am looking to start to surf, which I think will be something I will do more and more of as time passes.  We have four kids, all out of the house, but all love to be out on the boat.  No grandkids yet, but I want a boat that I can share some good times with them if/when they come along.

In Malibu, we looked first at the 21 VLX, then the 22 VLX, had budget shock, looked at the 20 VTX, and seem to have settled back on the 22 VLX.   The room is a big deal to us, and I think with the diamond hull I am hoping that I can still put down a respectably flat wake for slalom (not as good as the 20 VTX), and a VERY good surf wake.

We have listed as minimum requirements:

• 6.2 450 motor.   I THINK I need this because we live at altitude.   The house is at 5210, and the lake is even higher.  I am a fairly big dude (>200llbs).  We expect to have 4-6, maybe 7 crew most of the time.
  • High Altitude/Torque 15 x 1425 -2249 - worried just a bit that I wont have much top end, but realistically, Im not sure if I care.   Im not buying this boat to scream around the lake.
  • Cover
  • CS Bimini Top and Boot w/Rope Storage (2 pockets)
  • Heater (3 outlet) and Shower (hoping to extend my season a little)
  • Sport Dash w/Rotary VDC 4 Way Joystick
  • Sound system with 1 set of tower speakers (I want to be able to have tunes while surfing, but Im not looking to entertain the entire lake)
  • Clamping racks
  • Ladder - Undermount Swimstep (better half has bad knees)
  • Ballast HI FLOW Bow Malibu Launch System
  • Ballast HI FLOW Rear PNP Plumbing
  • Surf Gate w/Malibu Surfband
  • Wedge - Power Wedge II

There are other features we would LIKE, but Im trying to keep the budget in check without crippling the boat.

Questions:

• Are there other options that I should consider must haves for my intended use?
  • Anything I don't need or would be better as aftermarket adds?
  • Comments on the color scheme below are very welcome.  I kind of know what I like when I see it, but I kinda suck at the design side of it.  I am trying to minimize color upcharges if I can.

Have been playing with endless color schemes, but this is the potential leader in the clubhouse.

Longmont%20Blue%20and%20Black_zpswvqnjry

Edited by JeffC
fix images
  • Like 3

Congratulations on the new boat, I had two seasons with a 22vlx and loved it!  I had the wake hull and just to be honest the slalom wake was not very good.  I have no experience with a diamond hull so hopefully it's better than the wake hull.

I have an lsv on order and I did spring for the adjustable seat and surf pipe.  Those are two other upgrades you might want to consider.

Your boat looks great! Welcome to the Malibu crew!

6 hours ago, JeffC said:

The room is a big deal to us, and I think with the diamond hull I am hoping that I can still put down a respectably flat wake for slalom (not as good as the 20 VTX), and a VERY good surf wake.

I don't know how much the diamond hull is goinig to help.  I had tried to order mine with the diamond hull, but because of the timing (got I believe the last 2015 made) got a wake.  I ended up concluding that at 4300 pounds, it wasn't going to make much of an even acceptable ski wake, no matter what I did.  My old A22 wasn't too bad, but it weighed 3500 pounds (it was like a wake hull).  It was still the right choice for us, the layout makes it a great family boat, and besides, the kids get almost all of the time behind it.  I've been talking up buying an old Pro Star or similar to keep for the occasional ski runs, but I would have the space to do that (we have a weekend place on teh lake, could keep a second boat int he garage).

I'd do a stereo delete and get it added afterwards.

Your gel scheme looks great!  If you really care about the slalom wake it's OK to have 2  boats.  An older closed bow DD is downright cheap compared to new boats.  Or find a friend with a slalom tug.  My club has a prostar and my father in law has a ski natique. My wife and I both ski and have a 23 lsv.  My ski friends thought I was crazy for buying it but really I'm brilliant.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Gavin17 said:

I'd do a stereo delete and get it added afterwards.

Your gel scheme looks great!  If you really care about the slalom wake it's OK to have 2  boats.  An older closed bow DD is downright cheap compared to new boats.  Or find a friend with a slalom tug.  My club has a prostar and my father in law has a ski natique. My wife and I both ski and have a 23 lsv.  My ski friends thought I was crazy for buying it but really I'm brilliant.

FWIW, the 2017's have a way, way better stock stereo then any other stock stereo Malibu has ever offered. The way he described his wants for the stereo, Malibu's will be more then enough for him. 

@JeffC That color scheme looks very nice! I think you are spot on with the 450 with your elevation. I think @CJAY could provide some good input for the engine as well.

• Like 2

You mentioned space as a concern. Have you considered a 23 LSV? Price difference in negligible in the grand scheme of things. I also came from a Crownline. I had a 2008 180 and went to a 23. Space was amazing! Either way 22 VLX or 23 LSV, you will have plenty of space compared to the Crownline. 

• Like 2

You may do a little research on the shower.  Some don't like the factory location/install.   Several members here have done it aftermarket and tucked it away in the back tray compartment, which folks seem to like.   As previously mentioned, I'd look hard at the surfpipe too.  Personally, I'd skip the adjustable seat even though it was also suggested above.   A 3rd set of cleats I would add - love them on the 23LSV and I could see them being useful even on the 22VLX.   

Lots of good info and opinions in this thread.  

At altitude with the high torque prop and new gear ratios I am very worried you won't get that mid 30's speed at anything but max rpm. You better test ride that. Anything less than 30mph and diamond hull is irrelevant. 

My '16 22VLX with surf pipe and high torque prop at 700' altitude was barely getting 40mph at max rpm. Going to a 2277 equivalent prop got me in the low 40s at max rpm and a comfortable rpm for slalom starting and steady runs. The diamond is nice here and makes it skiable. I'm at your level of skill and like it fine.

At your altitude my boat would not slalom easy or well. I'm not sure how to translate the new tranny ratio, prop angles, prop diameters. DEFINITELY put one in the water with either hull and see if it can hit that speed easily for slalom. 

If you're gonna slalom I'd consider skipping the pipe. Pretty sure the drag of that is prt of my problem. 

Thanks guys!

We have not looked SERIOUSLY at the 23 LSV, but I have been scanning the lightly used market for them.    Ronnie, that is one sharp boat you have for sale!  We would love the space!  I imagine that the bigger I go, the more compromise I make on the ski wake.  Not sure 1' would be noticeable, but figure there is a line somewhere.    I saw video at the show of the 21 VLX at the show, was very surprised how flat it was.   We went from looking a the 21VLX to the 22 VLX mostly because of the beam... gives seemingly a LOT more space (amazing what 4" did).

@Slurpee you have my attention, especially since you are running the 450.  I had briefly thought about going with the 410 to save some $$, but based upon your experience, that sounds like a bad idea.  I dont really want to be running close to WOT all the time to ski...   At least with the crownline, I run at 30-31.  At 57, I probably will not run a whole lot faster, my best trick last year was a double barrel roll with a half twist, it hurt enough at 30mph, and peeled back both eyelids.     I did ask the dealer to get out on the water in a similarly configured 22 VLX soon.   Weather should break at least once before the end of the month.

@Gavin17 What is better than one boat?  Two boats.   I would love it, but storage is already an issue for me.   This project is already acting like home improvement... if I am going to to do, X, then I might as well do Y.... Already, I have to find a new indoor storage location, a surfboard, new gear, etc etc.  So far it has not bled into a new truck, but Im not done yet.

@Sailvi767 Shoot me some info... If it were the right boat, I might consider coming to get it. 

Ill definitely look at the shower too... Perhaps I can get a better location and save a few $$ too?   Having said that, I would want it ready to go early in the season, not sure how difficult of an install it is.

Edited by JeffC

I have the 410. Do I have an error in my profile somewhere?

I'll find my rpm vs mph with various props post and link it for your edification. Again, '16 had a little different gearing and such compared to '17. Definitely want to water test it is my message. 

RPM vs MPH '16 VLX

Edited by Slurpee

As for the shower, check out the photos in that thread I linked to.  Your dealer should be able to do that before delivery to you so it is all still ready in time, if you choose that route.  

I love the 23LSV for the room and surfing, but if slalom means anything to you, which it seems to, it probably isn't a good choice.   

The two additional cleats are a good idea.  Tommy's added those for me plus my shower in just a couple hours.  Might be cheaper to have them do it than Malibu.

Depending on what cover you want, you might be able to get that aftermarket as well.   Call Ron at AutoWeave in Denver and have him give you a quote.  He can probably do it over the phone on Monday.

Glad you were able to get your account set up.

I'm very happy with the new stock wetsounds setup in my new 2017! 

If you trailer a lot I would get the transom trailer steps. Maybe even the step near the bow for easy access. 

Surpipe. It doesn't really make it quieter in the cabin but behind the boat. 

4 hours ago, JeffC said:

The pop up light is an option... but I did not include it.   Is it more than just cool (it is!)? 

I think the advantage would be when/if you are climbing in and out of the bow to get to shore or the trailer.  One less thing to catch your shorts on.

+1 on stereo delete, they definitely have made improvements with Wetsounds this year....  However, you will save quite a bit doing your own system and it sounds like you are looking to maximize your dollar.  You can also hand select your components if you do a stereo delete, totally customize the system to your liking.

I am going out on a limb here but I don't think there will be much of a difference between a 23 lsv and 22 vlx slalom wake.  The boats are within 300 lbs of eachother.  I have no real life experience on this just a hunch.  Maybe someone else can chime in about the 23 lsv vs 22 vlx slalom wake.

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

You may do a little research on the shower.  Some don't like the factory location/install.   Several members here have done it aftermarket and tucked it away in the back tray compartment, which folks seem to like.   As previously mentioned, I'd look hard at the surfpipe too.  Personally, I'd skip the adjustable seat even though it was also suggested above.   A 3rd set of cleats I would add - love them on the 23LSV and I could see them being useful even on the 22VLX.   

Lots of good info and opinions in this thread.  

@hethj7Great thread...  Lots of good info in there - was mobile last night, and did not have the time to peruse the whole thing, but got to it tonight.   From that, I think I am going to add the 3rd set of cleats, I really have little interest in drilling into a new boat (did it on my Crownline, but just hated putting a bit to the gel).   I need to have a meaty conversation with the dealer about the shower.   I am not clear on what the factory option install is like on the VLX, but I did like the install in the tub, that makes a TON of sense.   I did add the trailer step last night, and I also have the wakeview seating and transom remote on the list.    I am torn on the stereo.   Seems the factory option is obscenely expensive, but I do not have a lot of experience with Marine audio, so I do not have a good reference point.  I am waffling on the pop up bow light... I have caught me shorts on my current bow light, but it was never a big deal to me.  Like the idea tho.

I am making an assumption that I can do things like tower lights aftermarket without a ton of issues... although running wiring I suppose could be interesting.

Counter to the thread, I am considering taking the carpet out of the gate.   I do have the advantage of the dry Colorado climate, and it saves me a significant chunk of money now.   When the carpet gets worn, seems like it should be a fairly straightforward process to install Deckadence on the stock snaps.    Does that seem right?  Ultimately, I am thinking that is what I will want.  Soft on feet, easy clean, quick dry.  

What is the thinking on the best way to clean carpet?  Pull out, and power wash?  Pull out and clean with a household carpet cleaner?  I have a small machine I used on the Crownline, but never got it as clean as I wanted.  >>EDIT, found multiple threads on this...<<<

Edited by JeffC