Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fishing from your Malibu?

sounddude03

Did anyone else see Malibu's recent Facebook / Instagram post about the 25lsv?  They show a "typical day" on the lsv and it shows someone fishing off the bow. I personally don't think that would EVER happen. 

Anyone disagree?  Have any of you ever fished off your Malibu?  If so, how do you keep from getting fish slime and blood all over the interior?

IMG_6895_zpseahwldaj.png

• Like 2

I do quite often. Usually from the swim platform. I will fish from the bow too on occasion. Just gotta be careful not to slime anything up.  I'm not a real good fisherman so I don't usually catch anything but  I have caught a few bass and trout.  I don't go spend a day fishing but I keep a couple mini poles in the slot in the bottom driver side gunnel. To me it's all just part of the lake life. 

• Like 2

Yeah..... no fishing on my boat. Think of it this way, if you don't allow shoes are you going to bring bloody fish along?

The closet thing to fishing we have done on the boat is finding a dead fish on the platform. 

ahopkins22LSV
50 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Yeah..... no fishing on my boat. Think of it this way, if you don't allow shoes are you going to bring bloody fish along?

The closet thing to fishing we have done on the boat is finding a dead fish on the platform. 

You do know that you can catch and release right? Never have to have the fish in the boat or keep it in the boat...

I fish off my SUP now but, used to fish out of my dad's boat all the time.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I fish off mine, usually off the bow like that or off the swim platform. I have never actually caught anything, but the plan is to keep it on the swim platform. My ski racks double as great fishing pole holders!

We fish off ours.  Of course we boat on one of the better walleye lakes in the country.  The kids love catch and release.  Nothing better than pulling into a group of 5-10 walleye boats with the Malibu and starting to jig.  Have caught Northern, perch, walleye, and even a muski.  I will say they suck for trolling :rofl:

12 minutes ago, RTS said:

Even if you catch and release, you're still going to have fish smell on your hands.  If you use gloves, you're going to have fish smelling gloves.  Either way, your boat is going to smell like fish.

Totally agree. If you want to fish go off the dock or SUP. 

9 hours ago, MadMan said:

The previous owner of my Malibu obviously fished, there was a lot of fishing gear left on board.

Same with my boat. It turned into a fishing boat for the last two years he owned it. Never smelled like fish because they cleaned it after using it. Thinking about getting some gear to throw in my boat in case the water is too rough to ride. Caught a fish off my buddys Moomba once but they really aren't the right boat for a hardcore fisherman because the tower gets in the way. 

• Like 2

My wife says no fishing from either Malibu, take out a kayak, sup, canoe, pool float or the hydrasport. But then again, i'm usually too busy pulling her through the course to fish.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, robbennett said:

Same with my boat. It turned into a fishing boat for the last two years he owned it. Never smelled like fish because they cleaned it after using it. Thinking about getting some gear to throw in my boat in case the water is too rough to ride. Caught a fish off my buddys Moomba once but they really aren't the right boat for a hardcore fisherman because the tower gets in the way. 

A while back I considered getting some fishing gear to let my daughters try fishing since they never have. Then I remembered you need a fishing license and never really pursued it.   I haven't fished in 50 years. 

I would carry a 6' rod in the ski locker with a top water 'just in case'.  We had more than a few occasions where the fish were busting the surface where we were skiing, boarding, or just hanging.  It'd never keep a fish that I caught in the ski boat...but no harm catching a few from the ski platform

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

A while back I considered getting some fishing gear to let my daughters try fishing since they never have. Then I remembered you need a fishing license and never really pursued it.   I haven't fished in 50 years. 

Not sure what your loca laws are but kids under 16 are allowed to fish without a license in California. 

7 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Not sure what your loca laws are but kids under 16 are allowed to fish without a license in California. 

Same in Wisconsin, but if you even help your kids cast... the DNR will bust ya for a ticket. Also if they see lines in the water they will probably come check for your license regardless if you are holding a pole or not.  Some lakes are more strict than others, especially around holidays. 

I fish off my MC X2 on occasion. Put it this way, when you go out on the lake all day with kids sometimes they want to fish. I have a bass boat we fish out of which is really set up for fishing, and the MC doesn't fish well. No trolling motors, heavy, etc... but it can be done. I worry more about a hook in the seat than a fish in the boat.