Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Compression values indmar Monsoon 340

I'm looking into purchasing a 2004 Malibu 23 lsv with Monsoon 340, 530 hrs, we took it to the boat shop for a pre-purchase check. The compression values came back ranging from 155 to 130 when the engine was somewhat cold, which is about a 16% difference . The tech told me that they ideally should be within 10% of each other but he still gave it the thumbs-up based on how everything else under the hood looked. Should I be overly concerned about this and pass on the boat? Or is this reasonable given its usage and age, and that it seems to be very well maintained?

The current owner has owned the boat for a little over half of its life and he is a professional hydrofoil, air chair skier! Appears to have taken really good care of it. I am doing a lake test this weekend in Phoenix!

I'm thinking overall, hydrofoil usage would be less taxing than surfing of the same hours. Make sure you stop and start it a few times after it is warm. Let it rest a bit before starting. Check for smoke out the exhaust on warm start up. Find out his knowledge of maintenance history. How much experience do you have with used boat maintenance?

Depending on price, etc. I'm guessing it's a sweet ride.

Steve B.