Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Honest opinions on my boat wrap

Andrew999

So in my other post http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/59631-89-sunsetter-project-getting-started/

I bought an 89 sunsetter and have been completely restoring it  small things have been done but nothing major since it's been a wrap shop for what was supposed to be 3 days and turned into 7 weeks. Everything on a boat takes forever. It's a reputable shop that has done many boats but I guess never a Direct drive since they had trouble moving it around on the trailer to install the wrap. I know how I would have done it but they are the professionals.

I personally buffed and polished the hull back to life and liked it but it's a shared boat between my sister and she's more the manager of the looks department and she vetoed it. We wanted something retro keeping with the age but updated since it's basically a brand new boat. After weeks of discussion on what to do this is what we could agree on. 

Like this but instead of orange a retro teal color you don't see too often on boats.

IMG_2885_zpsglrhhdvs.jpg

Here is what they have so far. Just putting on the Malibu logo left. following the same theme. Ehh kinda  

IMG_1744_zps5nh7uiav.jpg

IMG_1743_zpsyenbxtkk.jpg

IMG_1742_zpsiuebe0qs.jpg

My sisters says the mistake was talking to them and giving them instruction after we agreed on a design but it was basic stuff. 

Here is my opinion and I'd like to know what you guys think / did we commit a sin?

It's done, I like the colors even though unconventional, I wish the slope wasn't as great near the front half  and more straight like a pinstripe or a Euro f3. Good news is it's a wrap and can get ripped off but that $2,000 ish dollars I wanted to get some life out of it. The interior all matches and is the same colors FYI. 

Thanks for the input  

Edited by Andrew999
Fixing pics

IMG_1743_zpsyenbxtkk.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit

Your links don't work but I used the Google machine.  I think the wrap looks fine but it's a small photo.  I was expecting way worse based on your post.  Why was your sis unhappy with the blue gel? Was it damaged? it looks like you got it shining bright but the photos I found are small.

image_zpshw5enpcu.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=c

2 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

IMG_1743_zpsyenbxtkk.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit

Your links don't work but I used the Google machine.  I think the wrap looks fine but it's a small photo.  I was expecting way worse based on your post.  Why was your sis unhappy with the blue gel? Was it damaged? it looks like you got it shining bright but the photos I found are small.

image_zpshw5enpcu.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=c

Thanks Gavin, 

photobucket is flat out awful so I'm going to join and pay so I can post off my phone. It gives me the wrong links when I'm copying the link while I'm on the picture I want and it posts a different one. It's draining my patience. 

No the gel looked great! some baby spider cracks in it from dings along the way but you have to put your face up to it I found them because I went over every inch while polishing. She just didn't like the color and the plan was to change the color. Problem is I got the seats made early because I thought everything else would be done in a reasonable time except them. In the end I was backwards they got it done fast and everything else took forever. So now have to match outside to interior. I was fine with leaving it mismatched and getting the interior redone in a few years the exact nice and updated way I would like instead of a copy of the original stuff. 

If I was to do it again I would do the interior in a generic or neutral colors like whites black grey or tan. Then you can change the wrap every 3 years and not be pigeon holes into certain colors. 

I'll get these pics fixed up 

The wrap is gorgeous, very nicely done.  I would have kept the original gel scheme too, but the wrap took it up a notch.  I'd be really happy with that.

Edit: Those Sunsetters are kind of angular and the curve in the wrap really helps modernize the lines.

Edited by Michigan boarder
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Stevo said:

FYI , the file size limits for posting from your phone is pretty small, and most phone photos are too large. In my experience 

On Photobucket You want to make sure to use the "direct link" option

2496BDBC-3797-4C14-94BA-DECDA193AD6C_zps

Thanks Stevo got the pics fixed up in the post  did that change recently? I could have swore I was doing the bottom choice for forums. Works now so let me know what y'all think 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I like the classic look if it was in good shape, as it is instantly identifiable as a Malibu.  But looks decent in the Teal too - really only matters if you like it.  What are you going to do for interior colors?

Interior is the exact same colors as the exterior. 

Gelcoat will be way tougher. Wraps tend to tear rather than just get a little dock rash. Tears will be very obvious due to the color difference. They can be repaired pretty easily though. Dock rash on gelcoat is usually something you wipe off with a little acetone. DO NOT use acetone on vinyl.

The colors look fine to me. I think brighter colors look best on the water. On the trailer, I like colors that compliment the truck. A similar wrap on your truck might be the hot ticket.

As for Photobucket, I use the IMG link, pasted right in the body. Works great, no matter if I'm posting from the phone, tablet, or PC.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
30 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Gelcoat will be way tougher. Wraps tend to tear rather than just get a little dock rash. Tears will be very obvious due to the color difference. They can be repaired pretty easily though. Dock rash on gelcoat is usually something you wipe off with a little acetone. DO NOT use acetone on vinyl.

The colors look fine to me. I think brighter colors look best on the water. On the trailer, I like colors that compliment the truck. A similar wrap on your truck might be the hot ticket.

As for Photobucket, I use the IMG link, pasted right in the body. Works great, no matter if I'm posting from the phone, tablet, or PC.

The wrap thing is more of a temporary(read as 3 year) until some more cash gets saved up to deck out the interior. I'm hoping with religious fender use I can keep it rash free. Anybody have experience or tips with the wrap and keeping it out of trouble besides the obvious?

You know Bill the IMG link always worked for me too and as I'm writing this it worked until I updated my IPhone and now the direct link works and the IMG doesn't. All I can say is I wish there was an easy way with high quality pics.   

My brother has a partial wrap.....or a really big decal. He uses bumpers, but things happen. He's completely replaced the decal twice over the years.

Using the IMG link from a tablet here:

JakesBoat.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
ahopkins22LSV

I think the wrap looks quite good! It will look even better as you get the rest of the boat back together.

For pictures yes, from an iphone you post the direct link and on a computer you still use the img code. FWIW...

Are they wrapping under the bottom of the hull where the bunk contact?  I can't imagine vinyl will hold up for more than a few launches rubbing on the bunks.  The color looks good to me, although I have a sweet spot for retro gel schemes. :) 

15 hours ago, Andrew999 said:

You know Bill the IMG link always worked for me too and as I'm writing this it worked until I updated my IPhone and now the direct link works and the IMG doesn't. All I can say is I wish there was an easy way with high quality pics.   

Same here. IMG link still works when posting from my droid, but ever since switching to iPhone, I have had to change which tag I use. 

2 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Are they wrapping under the bottom of the hull where the bunk contact?  I can't imagine vinyl will hold up for more than a few launches rubbing on the bunks.  The color looks good to me, although I have a sweet spot for retro gel schemes. :) 

Ohh no it would be toast if they did the bottom. 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

The old exterior or the wrap?

The new interior matches the wrap. The story is my sister hates the blue I like the retro gel scheme and color but compromise needed to happen and I was able to do the stringers and floor with the gelcoat and all that way above and beyond so she gets the colors. Well we wanted to do it like the sunsetter in the 89 brochure. That nice green color. Well we get the interior done with this shop my buddy has used and I think the old man that ran the shop between when he got his stuff done nice and when I got my stuff done the guy had a stroke. So essentially he just didn't do anything right including the color so here I am with this teal trying to tie it all together. It was cheap though! But that's what yah get.