Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Importing a boat from the US to Canada

Killer

So I just won an auction on ebay for a 94 echelon. I was the only bidder above the reserve and had the high bid for 2 days; which leads me to believe that nobody wants this boat, but to me its a pretty nice unit...

Looks to be mint and a legit sale so I am going to pay the $250 deposit and pick it up in a week so I can test drive it, inspect it and pay for it.

has anyone imported a boat from the US before? what do I have to do or have to make it an easy crossing?

Also, what should I look for in this boat in terms of common problems or signs of abuse/damage, etc...?

here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

what do you think about the price guys?

any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW. the computron works "intermittently". I know the hour meter is on the computer so could this alter the hours if it doesn't work right? also how hard are they to fix?

thx

Biggrin.gif

Edited by Killercanukski

good luck,

I purchased a boat of ebay, have had great luck with it, but it was here in the states, and it did not look anything like the pictures condition wise when I went to retrieve it.

I am not certain, but I would be most worried about this being in a huricane or other storm, I think, but am not for certain that they ship these out of the nation, do the work and bring them back and there is no record of the accident.

Proceed cautiously, and good luck!

I know nothing about importing to canada - however, I sold a motorcycle to a guy in canada and he had it shipped there. He just sent me an email asking if I could help him get the following - you might want to see what you can find out about it...

"One thing I am without is a "proof of reacall clearance documentation, this can only be obtained directly from the manufacturer or their designated agent or dealership. The recall clearance must be printed on a document that contains the Manufacturers official corporate logo."

I sold a boat to guy in Edmonton.. it was tough getting the boat because it was winter. He hired a shipper who wanted to put it in an enclosed trailer, but those are only 98" wide and the boat/trailer would not fit. He ended up storing it here and had a friend tow it up in the spring.

Be careful for what you do with paper work when go through the border. Make sure everything matches up (ie. BOS should have a very close price to the insurance docs.)

Good luck

thanks for the quick replies.

The boat is close (250miles) so I can do a day trip to pick it up. So I will be able to take it out on the water and inspect it before I buy. I was even thinking of taking it to the local dealer in NOVI, MI. to have them do a quick check.

I'm worried about the computron the most. They acknowledge that it works "intermittently". I would like for it to work, but most importantly I want to be sure the hours are correct. I will disconnect it if possible if its a nuisannce.

thx,

K

thanks for the quick replies.

The boat is close (250miles) so I can do a day trip to pick it up. So I will be able to take it out on the water and inspect it before I buy. I was even thinking of taking it to the local dealer in NOVI, MI. to have them do a quick check.

I'm worried about the computron the most. They acknowledge that it works "intermittently". I would like for it to work, but most importantly I want to be sure the hours are correct. I will disconnect it if possible if its a nuisannce.

thx,

K

The computrom system was great in the day and I wish they would have continued on w/ it. However, there isn't any support for it and no parts for it either.

It is EFI therefore the true engine running hours are stored in the ECM and can be retreived by any Merc or Malibu dealer (I would call to make sure the dealer has the proper tool to read the hours)

Edited by 99response

thanks guys and gals. btw anybody know this boat by chance? I was hoping to pop by skiers pier and have them do a quick look at it. I haven't talked to the owner yet as the seller was his neighbor. I won't put my deposit on it until I speak with the owner and ask him normal questions one would have before purchasing a used boat.

also, anyone used this site to check out a boat's history? whatcha think about the service? http://www.boathistoryreport.com

thx,

K

Looks like a great price for that boat. I just had a guy offer me $25000 Cash for mine 390 hrs. I belive all of the registration can be done online But you will need recall notice sfor the trailer specifically (I have never done it but have done a little research) Talk to this guy He will let you know as he did it last year. LINK

Looks like a great price for that boat. I just had a guy offer me $25000 Cash for mine 390 hrs. I belive all of the registration can be done online But you will need recall notice sfor the trailer specifically (I have never done it but have done a little research) Talk to this guy He will let you know as he did it last year. LINK

who and where was this guy that offered you 25k? pm me please and thank you

K

Killer, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Quick profit potential here...

From the auction listing the boat looks good but pics are hard to go by. On the border crossing details, find a boat dealer or a car dealer on your side and find out what they do when they get vehicles from across the border. I'd be sure the seller writes up a bill of sale that shows both his and your names and addresses on it.

Be sure whatever type of payment you are planning to bring is acceptable to the seller. They will probably want a cashiers check in US dollars. Be sure they actually own the boat, I think Michigan has titles so that would be good proof, and be sure they sign and date it for you and be sure all the serial numbers match.

Look the underside of the boat over good while it is still up on the lift. Jump in the water and examine.

Killer, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Quick profit potential here...

From the auction listing the boat looks good but pics are hard to go by. On the border crossing details, find a boat dealer or a car dealer on your side and find out what they do when they get vehicles from across the border. I'd be sure the seller writes up a bill of sale that shows both his and your names and addresses on it.

Be sure whatever type of payment you are planning to bring is acceptable to the seller. They will probably want a cashiers check in US dollars. Be sure they actually own the boat, I think Michigan has titles so that would be good proof, and be sure they sign and date it for you and be sure all the serial numbers match.

Look the underside of the boat over good while it is still up on the lift. Jump in the water and examine.

I'm thinking quick flip for sure although I'd love the boat if I can flip it and make some coin I will try and find that sportster lx in the US that I always wanted...

I spoke with the owner and he's basically run through the whole boat and told me about any little detail it has including the popped seems in the seats and 1 gunnel light is burnt out. The computron works sometimes but then it doesn't. No problem with the audible alarm, but the air/water temp and depth gauge don't work. Big deal, I've never even had a boat with them before... the hour meter was reset, but he assured me that it has 460 hours; he has all the maintenance records and both him and the previous owner serviced it at skiers pier. I am getting the HIV and run a check on it. i will also call skiers pier. If need be I will run it up there for them to look it over, and check the hours but a test run may be all that I need. the guy is moving to China and its his neighbor that is listing the boat because she does a lot of biz on ebay, and he's been flying back and forth to China setting up. The pics are recent and he waxes and washed the boat religiously. it looks and sounds like the real deal. in any light its not a scam, but you never know when you buy something used what has it gone through in its life.

the canadian border looks at the trailer more than anything I'm told also, but if anyone knows more I'd love to hear it.

thx,

K

Just the fact that you are picking it up at the guys house, on the lift makes the sale seem pretty legit. Sounds like he is being up front with you too by telling you what is wrong along with the good aspects of the boat. Really, the only down side I see is that it looks just a little clunky but that's just the vintage it is from. It should make a nice footin boat for you. Depth guage is kind of important, to me anyway, on an inboard so I'd think of geting that fixed over the winter.

Looks like a great price for that boat. I just had a guy offer me $25000 Cash for mine 390 hrs.

Tell me you said yes? That's about 10 grand over what its worth

Looks like a great price for that boat. I just had a guy offer me $25000 Cash for mine 390 hrs.

the blue book on the 94 echelon is over $12k USD for the boat alone + trailer at $1500. The canadian inboard market is higher because the price of new boats hasn't come down with the dollar.

I like the sv23 hull because its great for footing. the diamond hull I don't like as much for footing, but I'm being picky I had a bid on a 95 response closed bow, but it was $2g's more. Plus its probably worth more like $17,000-$18,000 CAD IMO and that is a good deal for someone here. If someone wants a good ski boat than this is a good option. someone doesn't go out looking for a new malibu response and settle for a 94echelon... I will put it up for sale and use it until I sell either my nautique or this boat. The 90 nautique is for sale for $13 CAD on a new trailer. its got tons of new gear in it, but needs some tlc.

you tell yourself you want a ski boat and what your price range is. the 15-20k market isn't that deep, but is probably the best place to be for a used ski boat. You can't buy a new 18ft 115hp outboard for 18k on a trailer here. There is a big difference between an inboard you would pay 15 for and 18 for in ontario (CAD). At 15k you will get an early 90s wood hull/stringers with higher hours. but its only 3 grand... Just saw a 96 supra comp sell for $19 on a trailer. around 400hrs I believe. also saw a 96 MC190 sell for $20k. There is also a 91mc190 with a tower and rebuilt motor for sale for $22500 - it was a ski school boat and is beat up pretty bad. When a new reasponse is nearly $50k or MC190 at $55 on a trailer - 18k for a boat with 460 hrs aint bad. We all know that they will ski very similar.

thanks for the replies. keep em coming

Just the fact that you are picking it up at the guys house, on the lift makes the sale seem pretty legit. Sounds like he is being up front with you too by telling you what is wrong along with the good aspects of the boat. Really, the only down side I see is that it looks just a little clunky but that's just the vintage it is from. It should make a nice footin boat for you. Depth guage is kind of important, to me anyway, on an inboard so I'd think of geting that fixed over the winter.

my lake is over 250feet deep!!!!! glacier lake. you can run the same impeller for 5 years and not notice it was used the water is so clean and deep. no weeds or sand. if I'm in water that's too shallow my problems are a lot more severe than a depth sounder can help!!!! SHOAL!!!!!!

never had a depthsounder or gauge on any boat, never needed it, but it would be nice if I could fix the computer.

it does work but just not all the time. I read that pulling the card or the motherboard and having someone look for problems on the board could help??? maybe its just corroded???

Contact doughickey. As I recall he did this very thing with his boat & knows the process.

Good luck & congrats on the boat. :)

thanks wakegirl, I sent doughickey my compatriate, an email. hope he gets back to me. I checked some of his posts to see if there is anything in them on importing and noticed he had trouble registering his elete trailer. That is the same trailer with this boat and they don't make them anymore.

could I contact a malibu dealer to get the clearance letter and other needed info?

Biggrin.gif

go here: Registrar of Imported Vehicles Canada

the trailer is the only thing you will need extra information on. you will pay taxes at the border, gst and pst (not AB). the border guards looked up the flipsell ad when i brought mine in.

I'm trying to get a clearance letter from eastcoast flightcraft for the trailer because they aren't in biz anymore.

how did they know you bought it off the web? and to go to flip sell?

So I just spoke to US customs at port huron. He informed me the exact opposite of what I've been told by everyone else -> they don't care about the trailer; they care about the boat because its motorized. I need to fax the title of the boat, not the trailer. Also its my understanding that there isn't title for a trailer in MI, but I do have the registration already.

I bought my Response in Michigan about 3 years ago and went through the same thing you are contemplating right now. Based on what I have read so far, here is what I can offer: I seem to recall that MI has titles for both the boat and the trailer. You will indeed need a letter from the trailer manufacturer for when you go to register the trailer in Ontario. Eastcoast or the local dealer should be able to provide this for you. I don't recall needing the letter to cross the border, it was just for when I went to get the trailer safetied here in Canada. One note about license plates - when I bought mine, the owner took his MI plates off the trailer when I picked it up. I ended up towing the trailer all the way to the border with no plates. Once there, the US and CAN border officials told me that the original owner should have left the plates on the trailer as they belong to the vehicle, not the owner (as they do in Ontario).

The most helpful call I made was to the Canadian Customs Office. They told me exactly what paperwork (titles, sales agreement, etc.) I would need to present at the border and how to calculate out the taxes I would be paying that day. With this information in hand, my trip through the customs office was completely painless (15-20mins start to finish).

I don't recall having any issues with the US border office, I don't even think they asked to see any paperwork. It's the Canadian side that's interested, because they want their tax dollars.

One note about payment - the financial institutions in the states are different than here in Canada (more independently operated). As such, make sure you agree with the seller on exactly how you may be paying for the boat. I even went so far as to have the seller contact his bank to see what options were available. Although I can't recall the exact problem at this time, we encountered some issue with the use of Canadian bank drafts or something and had to go another route.

As for the legitimacy of the seller, from what you've written, he sounds fairly legitimate to me. Ask him to fax or pdf you over copies of the titles (boat and tailer). You will need the VIN and Hull numbers anyway to put insurance on the rig prior to picking it up.

the trailer is the only thing you will need extra information on. you will pay taxes at the border, gst and pst (not AB). the border guards looked up the flipsell ad when i brought mine in.

I'm trying to get a clearance letter from eastcoast flightcraft for the trailer because they aren't in biz anymore.

They asked where and how I bought the boat. I told them. It is not worth trying to save a couple of hundred dollars tax and possibly having trouble everytime you cross the border.

So I just spoke to US customs at port huron. He informed me the exact opposite of what I've been told by everyone else -> they don't care about the trailer; they care about the boat because its motorized. I need to fax the title of the boat, not the trailer. Also its my understanding that there isn't title for a trailer in MI, but I do have the registration already.

You have to go out of your way to stop at US customs on the way back. the only time I had to give US Customs 72 hours notice was when bringing a vehicle across. They simply wanted to make sure it was not stolen and being taken out of the country. Canada Customs will ask to see the US clearance paperwork for a vehicle but not for a boat.

They asked where and how I bought the boat. I told them. It is not worth trying to save a couple of hundred dollars tax and possibly having trouble everytime you cross the border.

You have to go out of your way to stop at US customs on the way back. the only time I had to give US Customs 72 hours notice was when bringing a vehicle across. They simply wanted to make sure it was not stolen and being taken out of the country. Canada Customs will ask to see the US clearance paperwork for a vehicle but not for a boat.

That's great that they checked the web. I don't think I'm going to alter the BOS from the purchase price. I don't want to screw with my insurance and if I ever want recourse I'm screwed.

I faxed US customs so I should be okay to cross. I called and the 1 guy said as long as I have the fax confirmation they don't check. so I guess they run the vins in the next few days and unless there's a problem they just make sure I sent them.

I talked to eastcoastflightcraft and he said he'd be happy to draft a letter, but because they're out of business there is no way to say there are outstanding recalls. He can only write "to the best of my knowledge" I also contacted the pier where the boat has been serviced so I hope to hear back from them.

It may be ten grand over what it is worth in The USA but it is a different story here in Alberta where there is a shortage of nice used Ski boats for sale. I put it out on the highway with a for sale sign in it (I Didn't even clean it) and with in 3 hours there were about 15 Calls and like I say the one guy was ready to pay for half now and give me the other half in 2 weeks and I told him I will still be using the boat while I still have it. I am the one that backed out of the deal because I didn't want to fork out 50-60K for a new one. Everything on mine works (computron) and I have a tower, racks and double axle trailer. The engine is still like brand new looking and I keep the boat pretty clean on a bad day.

My next one will be out of the US. So maybe I can also make a little cash out of the deal.