Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will this wedge transom assembly work

MichaelB14

I don't see a reason it won't work if there was never a wedge or bracket previously installed.  The floating wedge came out in 07 and couldn't be retrofitted to the older bracket/mount for the fixed wedge.  That's probably why it's worded that way.  I believe @Nitrousbird put a floater on his pre 07 malibu.

1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

I don't see a reason it won't work if there was never a wedge or bracket previously installed.  The floating wedge came out in 07 and couldn't be retrofitted to the older bracket/mount for the fixed wedge.  That's probably why it's worded that way.  I believe @Nitrousbird put a floater on his pre 07 malibu.

Yes., I have a floater on my '01.  Requires a new bracket but the holes are in the same position, so it is an easy swap.

Don't rush into installing a wedge until you have ridden in boats with it and decide you like it first. IMO it really just is a gas hog and takes longer to plane. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, robbennett said:

Don't rush into installing a wedge until you have ridden in boats with it and decide you like it first. IMO it really just is a gas hog and takes longer to plane. 

I 100% disagree.  On the SV23 hull it is totally necessary for surfing as it gives you a ton of push. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I 100% disagree.  On the SV23 hull it is totally necessary for surfing as it gives you a ton of push. 

Which begs the questions, what exactly are you going to be doing with the boat, @MichaelB14?

3 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Which begs the questions, what exactly are you going to be doing with the boat, @MichaelB14?

Messing around with the kids.  I have a 37' Carver that I can't pull the kids wakeboarding or tubing (well I guess I could but not ideal and expensive).  I tried the jet skis last year and while it worked, not ideal either.  So, I got the '97 Sunsetter so when the kids want to tube, wakeboard or surf I can take them.  I know the wedge isn't going to be some miracle monster wake maker, just something to help a little.  Neither one of my kids can currently jump the wake at all, so it is just a start for me.  And I've read it will help with surfing, so there's that.

All that being said, I stopped by my local Malibu dealership at lunch and they gave me a price right at $400 for the transom assembly so I will go that route over ebay.

With all the costs and hassle involved to retrofit a wedge I still would go the fat sac route. Way cheaper and the wake is the same. (I had a Fly High in my rear locker and I couldn't tell a difference in wake size and shape between the sac & the wedge deployed.)

• 2 weeks later...

Michael, I am looking at retrofitting to my 07 Response as well. These brackets are hard to source in Australia. Could you please flick me the contact details of where you purchased yours. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has the plans/drawing for a wedge for a 2005 iride I am considering making one for my boat. The mounting plate is already installed just no wedge.

If your kids are beginners to intermediate wakeboarders then a wedge is great. It gives more ramp without sacrificing space and mess of a sac on the floor. Plus it's quick-easy to get set up.

worth it in my opinion. 

I would probably change my mind if surfing was your gig. Then I'd move right to the sacs and use your money for plumbing them in.