Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Batteries for new boat...

ConnollyCrew

The new boat (17' 23 LSV) was ordered with base audio pkg. I will be adding an SD6 to run inboats and an XS-12 in a ported enclosure. The 4 ch will be repurposed and Bridged to run 1 set of Rev 10's. So, I need to buy batteries for the boat and wanted to know what will be the best for my dollar. I was told that the AGM would be best, maybe group 27 or 31???

Thanks in advance,

Jerald

Its hard to beat a quality lead acid wet cell. For a cranking bank, a group 24 is likely fine, but a 27 offers a few more cranking A's. For a house bank, it really depends on how you are going to use the boat. AGM's do well also.  

• Like 1

Bang for your buck, it's hard to beat the interstate batteries. 
If you have an interstate battery store close you can get blems for around half off. 

AGM's are good but the cost is up there for the same AH rating.
Personally I think the optima's are quite a waste for their cost and lack of AH rating vs other brands. 

1 hour ago, cowwboy said:

Bang for your buck, it's hard to beat the interstate batteries. 
If you have an interstate battery store close you can get blems for around half off. 

AGM's are good but the cost is up there for the same AH rating.
Personally I think the optima's are quite a waste for their cost and lack of AH rating vs other brands. 

This may need to be fact checked but I got Duracell batteries from batteries plus.  The guy said in 2012 Interstate  was bought out and moved production.  The failure rate on the batteries increased dramatically and they are no longer the quality they once were.  It convinced me but did not look into that to see if it was a sales job.

I don't buy deep-cycle batteries because of the lousy (1 year?) warranty.  I just get low cost (Walmart) automotive batteries and if they go bad, they just get replaced  under warranty.  Much more cost effective.

8 hours ago, NHolladay said:

This may need to be fact checked but I got Duracell batteries from batteries plus.  The guy said in 2012 Interstate  was bought out and moved production.  The failure rate on the batteries increased dramatically and they are no longer the quality they once were.  It convinced me but did not look into that to see if it was a sales job.

They are all made by a hand full of companies. The interstate blem section has batteries from a bunch of different brands. My golf cart 6v batteries that were blems from interstate are actually costco's house brand.

This should be some overload but gives you an idea of how it all works. 

https://herehydro.weebly.com/uploads/9/3/9/1/93913/battery_manufacturers_and_brand_names_list.pdf

Good idea is to go by weight. In any acid based battery the lead plates/weight is the key to a good judge of it's capacity and quality. 

The lithium batteries are the exception to the rule. 

I got 2 12v golf cart batteries  from the local golf cart store. I have a Promariner  charger hooked to them.

Edited by OLDGUY

Walmart or Sam's Club group 29 deep cycle for under $100. Can't beat that. I've got 6 Walmart batteries in 4 boats. Take care of them and they last. Lead acid is pretty simple.

Edited by minnmarker
addition
11 hours ago, MadMan said:

I don't buy deep-cycle batteries because of the lousy (1 year?) warranty.  I just get low cost (Walmart) automotive batteries and if they go bad, they just get replaced  under warranty.  Much more cost effective.

Knock on wood, I put a couple of walmart cheapies in my '95 and they've worked great for more than 4 years now.

Steve B.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Walmart or Sam's Club group 29 deep cycle for under $100. Can't beat that. I've got 6 Walmart batteries in 4 boats. Take care of them and they last. Lead acid is pretty simple.

What ever I'm buying, I'm usually a best bang for the buck kind of guy, not the best one out there.

Where to you plant to put said batteries, as that makes a BIG difference on size/type to suggest.

I HATE wasting the very important observer compartment storage area with batteries.  I personally feel the best spot is under the observer seat - it is the most pain in the butt of all seats to move when using the boat (someone is always sitting there, it is big, have to lift the observer compartment door to remove it) meaning it is the storage area that will likely be accessed the least.  This means the best spot to put a battery.

Depending on the depth you have, this can really limit your batteries.  If using a lead acid battery, you need to use a battery box, which takes a lot of space.  An AGM won't require a box, which is a consideration.  Figure out where you want your batteries first and then start working on what will work to meet that goal.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Where to you plant to put said batteries, as that makes a BIG difference on size/type to suggest.

I HATE wasting the very important observer compartment storage area with batteries.  I personally feel the best spot is under the observer seat - it is the most pain in the butt of all seats to move when using the boat (someone is always sitting there, it is big, have to lift the observer compartment door to remove it) meaning it is the storage area that will likely be accessed the least.  This means the best spot to put a battery.

Depending on the depth you have, this can really limit your batteries.  If using a lead acid battery, you need to use a battery box, which takes a lot of space.  An AGM won't require a box, which is a consideration.  Figure out where you want your batteries first and then start working on what will work to meet that goal.

new malibus will all very easily take 2x group 29 lead acid batteries in boxes under the observers seat.

• Like 1

Jared, wherever you land on batteries, don't forget to budget for an on-board charger for them. 

We've used Stinger AGM batteries in our shop.  They're more expensive but they've worked well.  If not, they have a 3-year replacement warranty.  That means we send the date code in, get a credit, then buy a new battery with a new warranty.....

• Like 1
On 1/6/2017 at 4:08 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

The new boat (17' 23 LSV) was ordered with base audio pkg. I will be adding an SD6 to run inboats and an XS-12 in a ported enclosure. The 4 ch will be repurposed and Bridged to run 1 set of Rev 10's. So, I need to buy batteries for the boat and wanted to know what will be the best for my dollar. I was told that the AGM would be best, maybe group 27 or 31???

Thanks in advance,

Jerald

Whats wrong with the standard "generic" deep cycle batteries the dealer will install?  Never had one issue with any battery having a pro mariner plug in charger when not being used.  How many amps are you going to be running?  I had 3 in my last boat and there was never a problem.  Will be doing the same setup with my LSV.  Is your dealer going to give you the option to select any battery or will they be charging you extra for a specific "upgraded" battery you want?

I did the same thing...

My 15 came with two Optima starting batteries / sold them on CL and went and bought two Deka group 31's and doubled my amp hours....that's all that matters when it comes to stereos!

20 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

I did the same thing...

My 15 came with two Optima starting batteries / sold them on CL and went and bought two Deka group 31's and doubled my amp hours....that's all that matters when it comes to stereos!

How much more does this cost over a standard deep cycle?

2 minutes ago, Fman said:

How much more does this cost over a standard deep cycle?

I just bought the Group 27 boxes and gave them to my dealer.  Dealer moved the battery box cleats under the observer's seat and put Interstate group 29s in at no additional charge.  IIRC, retail the cost difference is about $20 per battery (between a Group 24 and Group 29).

These are the battery boxes I've used: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Deka/DW03189.html

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Fman said:

Whats wrong with the standard "generic" deep cycle batteries the dealer will install?

Nothing, but will the both be cranking? The Malibus I typically see, have 2 group-24 cranking. Just fine for someone that does not spend any measurable time on the hook. If someone needed an actual house bank, then a deepcycle is better, and more AH, a larger battery or more batteries may be needed above what the dealer/factory provide. 

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

new malibus will all very easily take 2x group 29 lead acid batteries in boxes under the observers seat.

This this is exactly what I would do.  I only did AGM's due to not having the space for a box under my observer seat.  If I did, I would have done box + lead acid. 

On 1/9/2017 at 9:41 AM, jonyb said:

Jared, wherever you land on batteries, don't forget to budget for an on-board charger for them. 

We've used Stinger AGM batteries in our shop.  They're more expensive but they've worked well.  If not, they have a 3-year replacement warranty.  That means we send the date code in, get a credit, then buy a new battery with a new warranty.....

Boat was ordered with charger.