Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm so overwhelmed

mxfever090

Stupid question here. With one of the mini exile head units or even a wet sounds Bluetooth adapter, can you skip tracks on a iPhone? Right now we play music through USB and on the driver side dash we have a clarion remote that we can skip tracks, not sure if Bluetooth allows that. 

28 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Stupid question here. With one of the mini exile head units or even a wet sounds Bluetooth adapter, can you skip tracks on a iPhone? Right now we play music through USB and on the driver side dash we have a clarion remote that we can skip tracks, not sure if Bluetooth allows that. 

Yes you can..

3 hours ago, r33pwrd said:

This is the first prototype of what my dash will look like..  this is off a 3d printer so the final one will not be white and will be carbon fiber :)

15625682_10154872588354264_517464082498549880_o[1].jpg

Impressed.  I like the concept and am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

28 minutes ago, tjklein said:

Impressed.  I like the concept and am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks I have done about 3 more since this one and It looks much better.  Hopefully have a completed part in the next 2 weeks.

The custom 3D printed panel is super cool!  Very nice work.  Now, who wants to develop a baseline file I can use to print a mount for a WS420? :)

Edited by hethj7
55 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

The custom 3D printed panel is super cool!  Very nice work.  Now, who wants to develop a baseline file I can use to print a mount for a WS420? :)

Sure once I'm done with mine.. I hope to send it off to hydro dipping this week but might be next. I love playing with the 3d printer :)

• Like 2

Another head unit with Bluetooth and wired remote capability is the Rockford Fosgate PMX2 and PMX5.  We've been using them for a year or so and had a lot of luck with them.

On 1/7/2017 at 1:34 PM, r33pwrd said:

This is the first prototype of what my dash will look like..  this is off a 3d printer so the final one will not be white and will be carbon fiber :)

15625682_10154872588354264_517464082498549880_o[1].jpg

Hear me out.  Could the zone controller be used as the head unit?  Us a rocker switch to supply remote power to the controller and amps, then plug my phone into the aux input?

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

Hear me out.  Could the zone controller be used as the head unit?  Us a rocker switch to supply remote power to the controller and amps, then plug my phone into the aux input?

Yep, no HU.  It's that simple with all the new source gadgets.  You don't even need an EQ with zone controls if your main need, as mine was, is EASY access to volume control for 3 zones (boat, tower, sub).  You do give up the EQ function but can manage some of that on the amps.

I went with a JL variable line driver (JL Audio CL-RLC) for a master volume feeding into (through RCA splitters) 3 level controls for boat, tower, and sub control.  These:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Amplifier-Bass-RCA-Level-Volume-Control-Knob-AALC-LC-1-Premium-SC5-/231677876472?hash=item35f113d8f8

Four knobs to rule the amps...    Just mounted them on a piece of 1/8" HDPE.  Use whatever pattern works for you and put it wherever makes sense.  I put them below the right rocker switches.  The XM radio - or whatever gets plugged in - feeds the system.

1218161342_HDR.r.jpg

1 hour ago, mxfever090 said:

YES that is all I used last year... I added the Media center (the round thing) simply so I can play, pause, skip songs without my phone... It works very well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things are starting to come together.  The question I have for today is what wire gauge should I be using for the following;

4 XS-650 interior

2 REV-10 on the tower

12" 800watt sub

43 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

The question I have for today is what wire gauge should I be using for the following;

4 XS-650 interior

2 REV-10 on the tower

12" 800watt sub

When you get down to the nitty gritty details if the install, I like to suggest consulting your equipment retailer with whom you purchased through. They should be your first go-to for assistance with the install and setup. 

• Like 2

As far as conductor size and type, I'd first check out the size of the connectors you are attaching to. You dont want to try to cram too big of a conductor into too small a connector. Personally, I look for the most strands I can find in a size. Then again, some folks like using flat wire. Also, some installations will force a smaller cable. Such as, entrance into a tower. Mines's a bit limited.

Steve B.

Here is my attempt to delete the head unit and control everything from my ZLD. This panel mounts where the RF head unit mounted in my vintage VLX. Need to work on the vinyl work but I'm super happy with how it turned out. I don't track very often but I have a phone holder on my right side windshield which is easily accessible. 

IMG_2884.jpg

^^^ that's awesome!

wetsounds has a neat zone controller also with a mic.  I think that would be a cool feature to communicate with the riders.

58 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

The mic is nice but the cord seems to get in the way and would bother me. 

59 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

^^^ that's awesome!

wetsounds has a neat zone controller also with a mic.  I think that would be a cool feature to communicate with the riders.

I have the mic, it's meh, 

im on my 2nd one, 1st was defective and was replaced, current one is doing the same thing, (works intermittently) i over year on it and I'd rather not bother with it than try (or pay) to replace it. + the kids always want to mess with it , and are most likely my suspects as to why it doesn't work properly.

• Like 3

The MIC cable can be extended if needed, and then routed out of the way rather than dangle right in the helm leg room.

For those that dont need/want a MIC, check out Wet Sounds new 4-zone controller. Master volume plus 4 zones, no EQ but BT is integrated. Has large than typical half DIN face, so flush mounting is a breeze, or get their billet underdash mount on black or silver. Very clean look without cutting a large slot on a helm. 

11 hours ago, mxfever090 said:

Things are starting to come together.  The question I have for today is what wire gauge should I be using for the following;

4 XS-650 interior

2 REV-10 on the tower

12" 800watt sub

12 gauge multi strand copper for sub and tower.  14 gauge for the cabin. You can go larger but not really necessary. Connectors and connections also important.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, MLA said:

When you get down to the nitty gritty details if the install, I like to suggest consulting your equipment retailer with whom you purchased through. They should be your first go-to for assistance with the install and setup. 

Amazon has real people that know stuff?  hahaha

5 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

Well magically my car needed a clutch, which has put a blow to the installation.  Can I get some thoughts on this bundle?

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Speaker-Package-Amp-Enclosures/dp/B01CT2RCSO/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1485551777&sr=8-14&keywords=black+wakeboard+tower+rack

Pyle amp is a pile of stinking $hi+  Speakers are not directional/projection so not good for tower.

I thought you were going to do the in boats first?  You can get a 4 channel 100watt per channel Class D amp for $200 and 4 good 6.5 or 8 inch speakers for $200 to $300.  Total under $500.