Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm so overwhelmed

mxfever090

I picked up a 1990 skier last spring.  The PO cobbled a car stereo system in it that consisted of a CD player head unit and 2, 6.5" speakers.  Not anywhere near what I'm after.

I have literally spent hours on here researching what to do/use.  I'm installing a tower and have narrowed my choices for that to a REV410 and JL audio HD 750/1

It's the rest of the boat that I'm lost with.  I would like a head unit with a wired remote, but do I really need that since 99% of the time the music will be coming from my phone, either mp3 or pandora?  Also looking for input on interior speakers/amp.  Technology has come a very long way in the 20 years since I had subs in my truck.

Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

26 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

my choices for that to a REV410 and JL audio HD 750/1

One single Rev-410 a pair? The typical setup would be a pair or a single flanked by a pair of Rev-10

28 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

I would like a head unit with a wired remote, but do I really need that since 99% of the time the music will be coming from my phone

No, but if you want a transom remote, then I suggest a more traditional head unit. Check out the Kicker KMC2 compact round source unit and PXiRCX wire remote http://www.kicker.com/kmc2 

Another solid option is the Clarion M303 and MW1 remote. 

Or skip a remote and go with something like the Kicker PXBTC or Wet Sounds WW-BT-RS blue tooth. Install a USB charge port to keep the phone charged. 

In-boats speakers.....the Wet sounds 650 series are on sale right now. Awesome speaker at an unbeatable price. Even the RGB models are a steal right now. 

Id go ahead an budget for sub woofer also. This would have some impact on  the amp suggestions. 

30 minutes ago, MLA said:

One single Rev-410 a pair? The typical setup would be a pair or a single flanked by a pair of Rev-10

Well my budget won't allow for that set up at the moment.  Would a set of Rev-10 be a better route than the solo 410?

30 minutes ago, MLA said:

In-boats speakers.....the Wet sounds 650 series are on sale right now. Awesome speaker at an unbeatable price. Even the RGB models are a steal right now. 

I just saw that they're on sale so i'm going to pick up 4 of the 650's

As far as a sub goes, i didn't plan on installing one, mainly because I had 2, 12's in my old boat and you couldn't hear them unless you were parked.  I have a closed bow boat so there is plenty of room, but I wanted to use the funds on the tower set up.

So many options for BT, like this JL Audio BT receiver. http://www.jlaudio.com/mbt-crx-marine-audio-bluetooth-receiver-91127

My main concern is the cockpit speaker mounting in that vintage of boat. Did the PO use a factory provision or did he create his own. A good location and good front to rear acoustic isolation can often have more to do with the sound than the actual grade of speaker. Have any pics to share?

With no subwoofer, I would look for a speaker with a warm balance, and perhaps one size larger if possible, like a 7.7". 

I would suggest a pair of Rev-10 over a single Rev-410. Go with a Syn-DX as it will drive the Rev-10 and your 2 pair of in-boats. Later on, add the Rev-410 in the middle and a Syn-DX-2

9 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

I had 2, 12's in my old boat and you couldn't hear them unless you were parked.

Could not hear them in the boat or at the end of an 80ft tow line? 

1 hour ago, mxfever090 said:

I picked up a 1990 skier last spring.  The PO cobbled a car stereo system in it that consisted of a CD player head unit and 2, 6.5" speakers.  Not anywhere near what I'm after.

I have literally spent hours on here researching what to do/use.  I'm installing a tower and have narrowed my choices for that to a REV410 and JL audio HD 750/1

What do you want to hear and where?  Tower speakers are pretty specific to wake boarding (and surfing) and there are a lot better starting points for building a wake board boat than a Skier.  Forget about surfing.  If you're looking for floating or beach music there may be other cheaper options.

31 minutes ago, MLA said:

Could not hear them in the boat or at the end of an 80ft tow line? 

in boat.  As soon as it was on plane you couldn't hear the bass anymore.  

35 minutes ago, David said:

My main concern is the cockpit speaker mounting in that vintage of boat. Did the PO use a factory provision or did he create his own. A good location and good front to rear acoustic isolation can often have more to do with the sound than the actual grade of speaker. Have any pics to share?

With no subwoofer, I would look for a speaker with a warm balance, and perhaps one size larger if possible, like a 7.7". 

From what I can see, the boat didn't have a radio in it at all from the factory.  He made is own boxes that just sat in the compartments along the side.

I don't have any pictures at the time.  It's a closed bow that seats 6, so basically my only place to install the speakers will be along the sides.

24 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

What do you want to hear and where?  Tower speakers are pretty specific to wake boarding (and surfing) and there are a lot better starting points for building a wake board boat than a Skier.  Forget about surfing.  If you're looking for floating or beach music there may be other cheaper options.

wake boarding and tubing mostly.

I understand that I won't be able to surf behind the skier, when it's at capacity the wake is good enough for me to play with on a board.

I'm fresh out of a financially devastating divorce, where I lost my old boat.  The skier is the best in board starting point money could buy at this point.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, David said:

So many options for BT, like this JL Audio BT receiver. http://www.jlaudio.com/mbt-crx-marine-audio-bluetooth-receiver-91127

Can these be linked together so you can use one on the transom and one in the helm?  

Just now, minnmarker said:

There is life at the end of the tunnel!  Just reorient to what is possible and be happy with it.  I got the biter taste of the ex out of my life ASAP and had a ball.  Just made the last alimony payment last month :frantic:

No kidding!!!!

I'm happier than I've been in years without the ex.  Despite the financial ramifications, it's been an absolute blessing!

46 minutes ago, mxfever090 said:

From what I can see, the boat didn't have a radio in it at all from the factory.  He made is own boxes that just sat in the compartments along the side.

I don't have any pictures at the time.  It's a closed bow that seats 6, so basically my only place to install the speakers will be along the sides.

Like @David said, if you're woofer-less then go larger on the in-boats.  I've got 3 sets of these 8" speakers in various spots on 2 boats (that have woofers too) and love them.  Great mid bass and very good value.  You can drive them with up to 150 watts rms.  Mine get 100 watts each.  If you only have room for 2 speakers then there's even more reason to go larger than 6.5 inch.  Make sure to check for diameter AND depth space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2SO87U/

1 hour ago, inlandlaker said:

No kidding!!!!

I'm happier than I've been in years without the ex.  Despite the financial ramifications, it's been an absolute blessing!

^^^ +1

• Like 2

I have 6 JL Audio in Boat 7.7s and a JL10w6 in ported box in from Earmark (under the helm) powered by regulated JL Audio HD amps in my Am. Skier ski boat.   This set up rocks for in-boat sound. 

3 hours ago, mxfever090 said:

so my lack of knowledge is going to shine like spot lights here, but would you use RCA splitters with this setup for multiple amps?

A very good question because it addresses both the wiring and the control. You would have a master volume on the BT receiver. With two JL Audio amplifiers, one for the in-boat and one for the tower, you would add (2) RCA splitters at the amplifier(s) location and add (2) JL Audio HD-RLCs giving you dual zone controls while not extending the signal path. Clean and simple. 

3 hours ago, mxfever090 said:

Here's the bad news. Place any good coaxials in tiny boxes, small enough to fit within the coaming cavities, and those coaxials will sound awful. In particular, no midbass and no warmth. Just bright and tinny. You need to eventually ditch the boxes and take a custom built-in approach. A baffle and partition per each side to house a larger speaker (one pair) should do a good job. Could be a JL Audio MX 7.7", or perhaps an automotive 6X9. The keys are a) getting a speaker with more surface area, b) complete, somewhat sealed, front to rear acoustic isolation, and c) a speaker resonant cavity that is expansive enough to represent an infinite baffle. Moderate amplifier power will then go a long way.    

Another approach could be....most anything you place up under a closed bow, as long as it is located correctly, will have an inordinate amount of bass. The flipside is that the treble will be muted. So with a speaker that is naturally on the brighter side, that is intended for an enclosure, and mounted so they are oriented correctly, you could create a massive in boat system with few components. And completely stealth.    

19 hours ago, IXFE said:

Instead of a headunit, get one of these.  It's all you really need anymore.  

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/bluetooth/exmc1.html

etmc1_render.png

Dave, what does this do when paired with the Exile ZLD eq? Is it basically an on/off switch?  I see some other functions which looks like a volume control and track selection, guess I am confused on how this integrates with running EQ?

Yes, it is the on /off switch. It basically becomes your head unit, like you pointed out the master vol control, track control, and source etc.

its $89 and it is a more functional bluetooth controller, if I had stereo delete, I'd definitely have one of these. I currently just use the Bluetooth adapter and control tracks from my phone, volume from EQ, and power from the RF head unit, this puts that all in one

media-center-install-guide.jpg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Fman said:

Dave, what does this do when paired with the Exile ZLD eq? Is it basically an on/off switch?  I see some other functions which looks like a volume control and track selection, guess I am confused on how this integrates with running EQ?

I'm running this with the zld.. more or less gives you the ability to control your phone from the dash..