Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Splice a rope - how to

chathamsolutions

I've got a couple year old Nevin rope. It's a solid spectra line with handle attached. There are no 'sections.'

I had a knot in the rope, and someone broke the line right at the knot. It's been sitting in my locker for a while, and now I need a new handle. I was thinking I could cut the rope, pull the handle off and use it - it's still brand new looking. I've got plenty of rope, I just need a new handle.

Anyone have any recommendations or know where I should look to find a good way to splice the end of the rope so it doesn't fray all over, works well and will hold up to solid use?

I'm just looking to cut the rope 5 feet from the handle, just like one you'd buy at the shop.

I've got a couple year old Nevin rope. It's a solid spectra line with handle attached. There are no 'sections.'

I had a knot in the rope, and someone broke the line right at the knot. It's been sitting in my locker for a while, and now I need a new handle. I was thinking I could cut the rope, pull the handle off and use it - it's still brand new looking. I've got plenty of rope, I just need a new handle.

Anyone have any recommendations or know where I should look to find a good way to splice the end of the rope so it doesn't fray all over, works well and will hold up to solid use?

I'm just looking to cut the rope 5 feet from the handle, just like one you'd buy at the shop.

Order "The book of knots" great book... I just wish I could find mine. :(

Edited by LS-One

If you can't tie a good knot, tie alot of them. J/K... There is a splicing device called a fid or something like that. If you can fit the rope in the barrel of a ball point pen, it works the same way Just study another rope and it is not to hard to figure out. BTW a knot weakens a rope by 50%, a slice by only 10%.

BTW a knot weakens a rope by 50%, a slice by only 10%.

Found this out when we were out pulling newbies. I had only had my boat a few months and we had a young REALLY muscle bound guy behind the boat. He was convinced that he could muscle his way up. He plowed his board into the water and heald on like there was no tomorrow. He literally had a wave of water going over his head. The rope broke right where the knot was. And it was the ONLY rope I had on board.

He was the first one in the water and the other 5 guys on board were not very excited about the prospect of heading home. So we literally tied 5 knots in the rope, until it broke again. Then tied some more. :) Eventually it held, and we were able to board all day. So the rope is pretty much a goner, that's why I'm looking to salvage the handle.

Funny, becuase the guy mentioned above has a brother. His brother was out in the boat with us on Friday. He's only boarded once before. He's also pretty robust in build. He struggled a few times getting up, pulled the same muscle-hold-on-for-dear-life approach as his brother. But he eventually got up. Two people later it was my turn to board. When I jumped in the water I saw that he bent the handle! The center of my SL handle was bent, like a V toward the rider.

He said he was holding on dead center as I pulled him. Crazy. I've never seen a bent handle before.

I'll try fitting it in a pen. That sounds like a good idea. Nothing to loose at this point really.

http://www.animatedknots.com

pretty good stuff on this website...of course I'll never be able to access it when I need it! Damn internet! Mad.gif

HOLY COW! That site is AMAZING!

Animated knots, no joke. You can watch how to make the knot online. And they have every knot imaginable.

Wait...

OK, I didn't see the Monkey's Fist that I've been looking for a 'how to' for some time. You know, the cool sailors knot that looks like a box at the end of a rope. Sailors would use it to throw ropes. Anyway, the look really cool and I've wanted to tie one for a long time. Wacky, maybe but there you have it.

Way cool site anyway.