Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Bu Owner!!! 22 VLX

speileo

Hey All,

We just purchased a 17 22 VLX and were beyond excited.  The boat was finished yesterday and will be delivered to the dealer next week.  Needless to say - it's going to be a long winter here in Mi.  That said - I have a few years of experience with a previous Wakeseter, but I wasnt the owner, and frankly, I didn't have to maintain it, the Marina did.  

Maybe theres a newbie 101 thread out there, but I'd love your help on any maintenance tips/tricks.  The boat may have to sit in the water the majority of this summer as were working on moving the seawall back to accommodate a hoist, but who knows when that will be done.  

Any and all comments are appreciated!

Congratulations! Now post some pictures!!!

I've spent the last several months here reading advice, tips, trick, and how to threads. You can find information on just about anything with a quick search.

4 minutes ago, speileo said:

I'd post a few pics if I could figure out how.....  

Do you have a free photobucket account? You can upload there and paste the image code here.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, speileo said:

Hey All,

We just purchased a 17 22 VLX and were beyond excited.  The boat was finished yesterday and will be delivered to the dealer next week.  Needless to say - it's going to be a long winter here in Mi.  That said - I have a few years of experience with a previous Wakeseter, but I wasnt the owner, and frankly, I didn't have to maintain it, the Marina did.  

Maybe theres a newbie 101 thread out there, but I'd love your help on any maintenance tips/tricks.  The boat may have to sit in the water the majority of this summer as were working on moving the seawall back to accommodate a hoist, but who knows when that will be done.  

Any and all comments are appreciated!

Congrats and welcome! What lake will you be on?

Another Congrats and welcome!  +1 on being careful on floating for long time frames. Some but not all boats have some bad effects to staying in water for longer time frames ( Blistering.) Its something that will not be covered in warranty.  If you do float for long time frames take your boat out and let it dry for a day or two then put it back into your slip.

16 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Congrats! 

I would consider an alternative to having your boat float all summer. This can damage your hull. Post pics when you have them! 

+1

I had a 94 Sunsetter Lx than was bought new. It spent it's 1st summer in the water. Then it spent the winter having 1/3 of the hull gel removed and replaced from a bad case of the measles. 

• Like 1

Congrats!!! and welcome to the 'crew.

where are the pics? 

I'm mixed on leaving in the water. Convenience vs potential hull issues. It seems to be a boat by boat thing whether it's an issue, or maybe it's the chemistry of the water.

what lake/river?

Congrats! New boats are awesome, that new boat smell!

To me I would only keep my boat in the water on certain lakes. It all depends on the type of water, we spent a week in Idaho and the boat came out looking worse than a few months in our local lake. So while your hoist is being built I would suggest pulling it out every week or so. 

Edited by Cole2001

I've moored each of my Bu's, leaving them in the water for about 4 weeks at a time, before pulling them out for cleaning. My 06 VLX had about 3 or 4 blisters in the gel coat in one small area. That's the only issue I've ever had with mooring.

Congrats on the boat. Would love to see pics.