Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mainlines with Take Off Loops that don't come apart

gonorth

I recently bought a Fly Hi mainline that is 70' with take off loops every 5 feet down to 50'. I was surprised when I went to hook it to my trick release at 50' that the loops do not come apart, just a loop weaved in so you can hook it on the pilon at that length. My concern is that if I have 20 feet of spare rope comeing out of the trick release and I have to release the rope that spare 20' of rope might tear someones head or leg off. Is it easy to retie these things so they actually are seperate pieces that I can take apart or should I look into returning it for one that is made that way. It is Barefoot Internationals TAC line if that makes it any easier or harder to resplice.

I called the dealer, he is makeing me a new line (the right way) from the same TAC rope that BI uses on their mainlines.

I grew up trick skiing with ropes that didn't come apart. We would just put the extra section on the engine cover and when the release went the whole rope would go.

I grew up trick skiing with ropes that didn't come apart. We would just put the extra section on the engine cover and when the release went the whole rope would go.

I bet you didn't have the release at the top of a fly high pilon with the rest of the rope dangling down to the dog house or anyone siting in the back seat at the time. Or you didn't have a boom bracket at the bottom of the pilon for the rope to catch on. I'm guessing you were lucky too.

My KW release is made pretty clean, I mean there aren't many parts for a dangling rope to catch on, but my masterline release which can be mounted in various configurations has enough junk on the release itself for that extra rope to wrap around and catch on.

I bet you didn't have the release at the top of a fly high pilon with the rest of the rope dangling down to the dog house or anyone siting in the back seat at the time. Or you didn't have a boom bracket at the bottom of the pilon for the rope to catch on. I'm guessing you were lucky too.

My KW release is made pretty clean, I mean there aren't many parts for a dangling rope to catch on, but my masterline release which can be mounted in various configurations has enough junk on the release itself for that extra rope to wrap around and catch on.

True I was just trick skiing off a regular pylon with nobody in the back seat. I wouldn't call it lucky because I probably fell a thousand times as I learned to do toe turns with no problems. I am not saying the removeable loops aren't better but they just didn't exist 30 years ago.

Just out of curiosity what do you do that you use a release at the top of your pylon?

What do we do with the release at the top? Not me, my kids. Their skill level is not there yet but eventually wakeboard tricks where you could get wraped up in the rope. So far they are pretty much vanilla stuff but doesn't hurt to have the release there and ready. The masterline will be used on the factory pilon and will be mainly for barefooting. Different pilon diameters is the only reason why I have two of them.