Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Kicker716

Feedback from owners or riders of 2016 Axis T23

Recommended Posts

Kicker716

I am considering purchasing a T23. Please provide any feedback or reviews. I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting this correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
MoScrilla

We bought a 2016 T23 last January at the Atlanta boat show. We Love this boat. It has everything we wanted and quite a few things we didn't even know we wanted. We pretty much only surf. Having said that... there are a few things we don't like. It burns a little oil, the RPM is kinda high surfing , top speed is only 33. They have a bigger engine in the 2017 ...that should help . We still Love the boat !

Share this post


Link to post
Kicker716

Thank you for the reply MoScrilla. Does the T23 have cruise control of any sort? I have perfect pass on my 2002 VLX and primarily wakeboard. We plan to get into surfing a lot more with a new boat.  

Share this post


Link to post
RobSMalibu

Kicker we love out T23 also. Hit me with a PM and I'll give ya my number to answer any questions more thoroughly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
powderski14

You can also check out the axis forum and get some feedback as well.

Share this post


Link to post
MoScrilla

Yes the T23 has cruise control and I think it works better than Perfect Pass. The surfgate is another great feature...you just flip a switch to which ever side you want the wake cleaned up on. We used to wakeboard but the older we got the worse we wakeboarded...Surfing changed everything .

Share this post


Link to post
BlknYlwT22
On 1/3/2017 at 7:33 PM, MoScrilla said:

We bought a 2016 T23 last January at the Atlanta boat show. We Love this boat. It has everything we wanted and quite a few things we didn't even know we wanted. We pretty much only surf. Having said that... there are a few things we don't like. It burns a little oil, the RPM is kinda high surfing , top speed is only 33. They have a bigger engine in the 2017 ...that should help . We still Love the boat !

Sounds like your High RPM and top speed is a prop issue.

Share this post


Link to post
05hammerhead

For wakeboarding Im willing to bet the wake will be identical to the boat you currently have.  As for surfing, its not the best boat out there for it, but itll definitely do the trick.  

Share this post


Link to post
85 Barefoot
On 1/3/2017 at 8:13 PM, Kicker716 said:

Thank you for the reply MoScrilla. Does the T23 have cruise control of any sort? I have perfect pass on my 2002 VLX and primarily wakeboard. We plan to get into surfing a lot more with a new boat.  

yes.  In fact, I think even Axis has zero off as standard now.  Definitely an option.  zero off blows away any paddle wheel control like ppass classic (unless on a river of course).

Share this post


Link to post
05hammerhead
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

You're betting an 02 VLX wake is identical to a T23?  You need to ride a T23.  They're not even in the same zip code.

Really?  I ride an 04 VLX, 05 VLX(different hull than 04), and a T23 weekly throughout the summer and when all are sacked out I think theyre pretty close.  All a nice rampy wake with a similar width at 75'.  An A series now is a totally different ball game. 

Share this post


Link to post
85 Barefoot
20 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Really?  I ride an 04 VLX, 05 VLX(different hull than 04), and a T23 weekly throughout the summer and when all are sacked out I think theyre pretty close.  All a nice rampy wake with a similar width at 75'.  An A series now is a totally different ball game. 

Sorry man, no disrespect, but they are very different (in my opinion).  I'm not saying an 04 VLX is bad, but 9 inches of width, double the weight, more than quadruple the ballast capacity, on a large footprint which mellows out the ramp but beefs up the shape is just not really comparable at all to 93 inch beamed VLX.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Share this post


Link to post
05hammerhead
19 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Sorry man, no disrespect, but they are very different (in my opinion).  I'm not saying an 04 VLX is bad, but 9 inches of width, double the weight, more than quadruple the ballast capacity, on a large footprint which mellows out the ramp but beefs up the shape is just not really comparable at all to 93 inch beamed VLX.

Interesting. The only difference I note is riding slightly faster on the newer boats which could account for the beam difference, but as for weight(beef), I think that comes down to motors and what it can pull.  My 05 with HH motor has no problem pulling 5,000lbs of ballast vs closer to 3500 in an axis with a 350.  Yes I know a guy can prop it etc, but I feel the shape of the wake is nearly identical.  Not like bouncing to an MXZ, A series, MC, or a G boat all of which have drastically different wave feels and pop points. 

Share this post


Link to post
05hammerhead

I should note though that apples to apples, stock to stock.  They are not even close.  Sorry for not noting that, but I dont know whos riding stock anymore, especially not with PnP nearly standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter
On 1/2/2017 at 4:35 PM, Kicker716 said:

I am considering purchasing a T23. Please provide any feedback or reviews. I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting this correctly. 

Back on topic.  I love our T23  I have owned three A22s before the T23 and our needs changed and I really like how it drives and the space behind the windshield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
MystiikVLX

I went from '07 VLX to a '15 T23.

Really enjoy all the space of the T23. No one really rides in the bow since there is so much space in the cabin. One of the favorite things in our group is the Chilax seats.

Love the wake for wakeboarding. The surfgate makes surfing simple and much better quality wave.

Share this post


Link to post
AJwakedevil
On 2/1/2017 at 3:58 PM, 85 Barefoot said:

Sorry man, no disrespect, but they are very different (in my opinion).  I'm not saying an 04 VLX is bad, but 9 inches of width, double the weight, more than quadruple the ballast capacity, on a large footprint which mellows out the ramp but beefs up the shape is just not really comparable at all to 93 inch beamed VLX.

Gotta agree. Ride my 04 sacked and did a competition behind a t23 stock +400 and the thing was just a little meatier/more rampy. I wish the vlx would do that stock, and go up from there!

Share this post


Link to post
117AJ

Here is a video surfing the other day:  T23 Surfing Drone Video

Love my T23 I recently posted some stuff in the Axis forum about it if you care to read more about how I have it weighted and stuff.  

As for cruise control it maybe an option but I have not seen one ordered without it.  I have seen some without GPS so look closely at the build sheet or for the antenna in front of the windshield by the driver.  Even with GPS equipped you can revert to the paddle wheel if necessary/desired.

I had an A22 with the 350 and it had pretty high RPM's surfing.  I have the 450 in T23 and that helped lower the RPM a good bit.  I am usually at 4200-4300 RPM surfing with the 450 and the way I weight the boat.  Obviously the ratio of weight forward and aft plays a pretty significant role as well as your prop and elevation. 

Share this post


Link to post
racer808

I had an 02 VLX, we sacked the hell out of that boat & had a good wave but not as good as the T23 I rode behind.  My MB has an incredibly long & powerful wave but I can't get the face to be like the T23 & am considering selling my MB so I can get the T23.  I am concerned that I have to surf at 12mph to get any sort of length on the T23 but the lip is SOOOOOO much better than my MB with GSA.

Share this post


Link to post
BlknYlwT22
9 hours ago, racer808 said:

I had an 02 VLX, we sacked the hell out of that boat & had a good wave but not as good as the T23 I rode behind.  My MB has an incredibly long & powerful wave but I can't get the face to be like the T23 & am considering selling my MB so I can get the T23.  I am concerned that I have to surf at 12mph to get any sort of length on the T23 but the lip is SOOOOOO much better than my MB with GSA.

What weight was in the bow on the T23? Sounds like it was rear heavy

Edited by BlknYlwT22

Share this post


Link to post
racer808
11 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

What weight was in the bow on the T23? Sounds like it was rear heavy

I'm not sure how they loaded it.  It wasnt right off the swim deck small, there was plenty of room for me to pump and get some air.  I can go 15 to 20 feet back on my MB so my view on a lengthy wave is probably scued here.  

Out of curiosity, what other axis hulls make the same wave?  Not many used T23s around.  

Share this post


Link to post
BlknYlwT22

I can get 15 feet back on our T22 without issue. The T22 is pretty impressive I think...obviously the T23 is better but the T22 is nothing to slouch at. I am not as familiar with the A series but I think the 2015 redesigned hull surfs significantly better. 

Share this post


Link to post
bass10a

for what its worth i think it rides unnecessarily rough in even the smallest chop unless you leave the bow and midship tanks full.  I was surprised by how harsh it is, 30mph feels like 65 especially if you're in the bow. Cant beat the interior size and everything else about it i like.

Edited by bass10a

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...