Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake foil.... WHAT?

itznowonder

1 hour ago, tncumminsguy said:

I have one on order, bought it at the boat show for a couple hundred off 

Did you get the board too or just the foil?

Edited by Vettesetter
3 hours ago, tncumminsguy said:

I have one on order, bought it at the boat show for a couple hundred off 

3 hours ago, Vettesetter said:

Mine just arrived, next comes mounting it on a wakesurf board

You guys realize TMC does not allow name changes anymore.

You will not be able to change your name to foil head or foil face....

5 hours ago, Vettesetter said:

Mine just arrived, next comes mounting it on a wakesurf board

You realize that boards actually MADE to have a foil mounted on it have additional material in the layup to strengthen the area just in front & behind the mounted location. A regular board will break easily.

I have no doubt that could be a foil injury. I have over 175 stitches in my leg from a broken foil. Add to it that these guys are not connected to the board/foil, and your more likely to get hit by it in a fall.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
On 1/22/2017 at 1:26 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

You realize that boards actually MADE to have a foil mounted on it have additional material in the layup to strengthen the area just in front & behind the mounted location. A regular board will break easily.

I have no doubt that could be a foil injury. I have over 175 stitches in my leg from a broken foil. Add to it that these guys are not connected to the board/foil, and your more likely to get hit by it in a fall.

I am having second thoughts on the XXX carbon wakesurf board, as the foam core is not suitable..............plus I would prefer not to DIE!:cry::rofl:

You had to mention the 175 stitches (I just shivered thinking about it):(

Edited by Vettesetter

I am having second thoughts on the XXX carbon wakesurf board, as the foam core is not suitable..............plus I would prefer not to DIE!:cry::rofl:

You had to mention the 175 stitches (I just shivered thinking about it):(

And that was with billet aluminum. Might as well have been surgical steel! If you get carbon fiber under the skin.... well, lets just say you had better be sure your life insurance is paid up.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:26 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

Pics or it didn't happen Bill.

• Like 1

I love the concept of riding a surf board with a foil under it. But I know what the learning curve is like. What the crashes are like. And riding a foil without it being secured so it isn't likely to hit you isn't respecting what it can do to your body.

So Bill, you are "THE FOIL GUY!" I am not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, :( I don't want to DIE :whistle:

My goal is to wakefoil ropeless and not have to fork out $600 on a foilboard, maybe a wakeskate would work? I know that I should just pay the $600 but thats like a billion dollars in Canadian money! :cry::rtfm:

Edited by Vettesetter

the foil surf video doesn't appear to show the guy ropeless that much...looks booooooring if you have to hold the rope.....

concept is neat but seems like too much risk....maybe they will make a foam Nurf foil after a few folks or kids loose some limbs! being hit with a board and fin is one thing but that thing.... ouch... better have your seats coated in some 303 to prevent the blood stains! 

the air chair is very sturdy, i highly doubt these surf boards are reinforced well enough to handle a foil

love the concept....skeptical on the safety.. 

• Like 3

So Bill, you are "THE FOIL GUY!" I am not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, :( I don't want to DIE :whistle:

My goal is to wakefoil ropeless and not have to fork out $600 on a foilboard, maybe a wakeskate would work? I know that I should just pay the $600 but thats like a billion dollars in Canadian money! :cry::rtfm:

Bindings.... My brother & Laird use snowboard boots & click in style bindings.

screen-shot-2015-03-09-at-2-23-57-pm.jpgpic5.jpg

BTW, foils aren't cheap. They spent a lot of time & money figuring out how to make them so they don't break any more. Billet aluminum & CNC machine time isn't cheap.

4 hours ago, RyanB said:

Wouldn't the surf board need additional flotation?

I know my Sky Ski is basically neutral buoyant without the pad on the seat.

My SUP will easily float my 75 lb dog, my wife & myself so that isn't a problem.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
12 hours ago, RyanB said:

@Bill_AirJunky, I am sure a SUP would have no problem floating with a foil.  I am not sure that a standard wake surf board would have the same buoyancy.

True. Pretty sure a standard wake surf board would not handle more than a few crashes before it broke too. Their just not made to handle the stress of a t-bar mounted to it.

True. Pretty sure a standard wake surf board would not handle more than a few crashes before it broke too. Their just not made to handle the stress of a t-bar mounted to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKWlnJq7EjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4n6dN8GebA

Edited by Vettesetter

Right on. I guess all the R&D and additional material in the cores of boards made by SS, AC, X-Air, & others are not really needed. I don't claim to know why they break, but I have broken 2 boards over the years. And wasn't hanging from a tree when it happened.

I asked Jake about it & they have customers replacing both sit down & stand up boards. It's not a regular thing for the average rider, but costs more than most are prepared to spend.

21 hours ago, formulaben said:

I'm impressed...but in this case I'm far more concerned with the rider not being connected to the board than the board or foil failing, especially at those lower speeds. 

Of course, I'm sure the concern of decapitation far out weighs the foil fall off, but at these lower surf speeds ,(as opposed to air chair speed) the chances of survival would have to be better. 

Edited by Vettesetter