Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake foil.... WHAT?

itznowonder

That price is dirt cheap, look at the price for a new SkySki.

They have been foil surfing ocean waves for a while now, it is just new to do it behind a boat.

• Like 1
martinarcher

That is cheap compared to a standard foil but you also don't have the tower or seat and the t-bar is a lot shorter.  Being strapped to a foil doesn't scare me since the foil is on the opposite end as my head/body which keeps me from tangling with the business end of it but that thing could result in some pretty scary crashes.  I know I wouldn't even want my legs falling across the foil let alone my head!!

4 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

That is cheap compared to a standard foil but you also don't have the tower or seat and the t-bar is a lot shorter.  Being strapped to a foil doesn't scare me since the foil is on the opposite end as my head/body which keeps me from tangling with the business end of it but that thing could result in some pretty scary crashes.  I know I wouldn't even want my legs falling across the foil let alone my head!!

maybe a rider could wear one of those metal chain link shark proof suits to protect themselves from foil attacks.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, coldwater-echelon said:

That price is dirt cheap, look at the price for a new SkySki.

They have been foil surfing ocean waves for a while now, it is just new to do it behind a boat.

It's not new behind the boat at all. The original patents are from the mid 1960s. I have one of those old foils if you ever want to ride it.

I've seen the new Slingshot. Not too crazy about riding it unattached. A basic crash will be pretty easy. But if you ever hit the thing, it's definitely going to leave a mark.

murphyfs.jpg

pic5.jpg

My dealer was showing me those the last time I was in.  I am intrigued but also very concerned about the safety as others have mentioned.

The other thing I think will be a pain is it seems you will have to remove the T-bar and wings every time you bring it back in the boat.  The board I saw is too wide to fit in a standard rack.

I believe it is stainless steel.  The fins of the foil are coated with a rubber compound so it probably doesn't cut quite as easily as a skyski or airchair.  I was told by a salesperson who had ridden one that the only drawback in his experience was that after a fall, the wakefoil continues to travel a bit through the water -- he said he actually got tired of having to "swim it down" while the boat returned to pick him up.

On 1/2/2017 at 3:12 PM, RyanB said:

The other thing I think will be a pain is it seems you will have to remove the T-bar and wings every time you bring it back in the boat.  The board I saw is too wide to fit in a standard rack.

Give it a little time & if it ends up being successful, there will be tons of racks available to fit it. Just like all the other foil racks out there.

7 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Give it a little time & if it ends up being successful, there will be tons of racks available to fit it. Just like all the other foil racks out there.

We put sky skis in surf/wake combo forks racks upside down, I have a surf only fork on one , so should be able to load like sky ski, unattached to your feet and this is a death trap, the better I got at surfing the more the board and its fins bit me!  Wife had a nasty

hit with the surf board and some board damage and one of fins scraped her in impact and she bled.  Toughed it out and got back up.  if I get her really her hurt I ruin a very good thing we have going where she considers it her thing as much as mine 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, formulaben said:

OH WOW!

I know, right!?

Would you have continued to ride if you knew that was the risk? I'm told it's not uncommon with the guys who ride with no bindings. I KNOW it happens when we break a foil & get hit by it. The billet foils made now days are a lot stronger than the old cast bars years ago. I can't imagine how bad it'll be if someone breaks a carbon fiber foil & gets hit by it! :Doh:

• Like 1