Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Surf Board

devklee

On 3/7/2017 at 7:54 AM, OnTheWater said:

I've been keeping my eye on this thread and have now finalized the purchase on my 2014 24mxz, so time to get some advice and make a purchase.  I'm looking to add 2 boards this year for a family of 8, all of us rated as beginners to intermediate.  Currently, we have a Liquid Force Fish 5'3 that my oldest boys (17 and 15) used last year.  I'd like to add a Phase 5 Model X - thinking 53??  I'd also like to add 1 for the girls/smaller.  

Any recommendations to fill the gap?  

Current - Liquid Force Fish 5'3 (up to 210lbs)

Adding - Phase 5 Model X 52 (up to 185)

Suggestions - ?  (Something for my wife, 19 year old daughter, 13 year old daughter, 8 year old son)

Thanks!

You should look at a women's specific board designed for smaller/lighter riders like the Phase 5 Luv, inland surfer Caro, Victoria Impulse, Victoria project V, and the Victoria Agent. 

The right size board really helps with progression. 

• Like 2
On 3/7/2017 at 9:23 AM, wedge88 said:

Looks like you have two surf style between the Fish and Model X.  I have found it easier on the women that ride with us for a hybrid type board unless you buy a "surf" style to their weight/height.  My wife has a hard time pushing down our surf board on starts but a big part of it is because I bought it as a boat board so you can put a 220lb person on it.  We have a cove prelude 55" and my wife gets up easy on it as well as my 10yo daughter.  Rob is a member here and has an axis as well.  Great boards at similar prices to mass produced.  http://covewakesurfers.com/

I was under the impression that the Model X is more of a hybrid/skim than surf? I've seen differing views on it but that's what I've gathered?

• Like 1

Looking at the Inland Surfer Tako as the 3rd board - looks like it might cover a range of weights and ability, according to the thread I've included.  Anybody have additional thoughts?  I'm thinking for my wife and 13 year old.  I'd also have the LF Fish 53 and Phase 5 Model X 53.  

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 11:19 AM, wedge88 said:

Any more info as to why they switched.  I had decided I was going to get a model x this year as my dealer picked up Phase 5 but then after some research, I keep going back to the hammerhead.  Would like to pull the trigger.  I would like to do easier 360s and airs.  I currently have a Cove Prelude 55 that is a great surf board but really think I need a skim in the arsenal.

Love my Hammerhead 55. Thought of selling it buuut after a set last weekend no way I sell that board.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:42 PM, OnTheWater said:

Looking at the Inland Surfer Tako as the 3rd board - looks like it might cover a range of weights and ability, according to the thread I've included.  Anybody have additional thoughts?  I'm thinking for my wife and 13 year old.  I'd also have the LF Fish 53 and Phase 5 Model X 53.  

Thanks!

The Tako makes a great boat board that all can ride. If you can buy it at a good price don't hesitate.

Edited by ConnollyCrew
On 3/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, devklee said:

I was under the impression that the Model X is more of a hybrid/skim than surf? I've seen differing views on it but that's what I've gathered?

Model X is a skim with tails for stability.Not even close to a surf style....

Edited by ConnollyCrew
10 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Love my Hammerhead 55. Thought of selling it buuut after a set last weekend no way I sell that board.

If you don't mind me asking...what is your height/weight?  I am 6' 180lbs and think the 53 will be perfect.  Higher side for 53 and lower side for 55.

8 hours ago, wedge88 said:

If you don't mind me asking...what is your height/weight?  I am 6' 180lbs and think the 53 will be perfect.  Higher side for 53 and lower side for 55.

You want the 53".  I am 6'4, 210# and I surf better on my buddy's 53 Hammerhead than I do on my 55 Hammerhead.  If you get a 53 and want to go bigger, shoot me a PM.  I'm most likely going to sell mine (used twice) and get a 53.  Great board though!

On 3/30/2017 at 8:28 AM, wedge88 said:

5'10" 225

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 8:28 AM, wedge88 said:

Last summer I was 5'11" 200ish and rode the 53" HH, it was plenty big and very fast.  A 55" would be too big IMO.

On 4/22/2017 at 0:16 PM, Lees23 said:

Last summer I was 5'11" 200ish and rode the 53" HH, it was plenty big and very fast.  A 55" would be too big IMO.

On 3/30/2017 at 4:43 PM, Sixer said:

You want the 53".  I am 6'4, 210# and I surf better on my buddy's 53 Hammerhead than I do on my 55 Hammerhead.  If you get a 53 and want to go bigger, shoot me a PM.  I'm most likely going to sell mine (used twice) and get a 53.  Great board though!

Thanks guys.  I ordered the 53" P5 HH.  Should be in this week.

Edited by wedge88
  • Like 2

I just received my slingshot butter bar last night.  This is my first board and seems to fit the bill for easy to get up on for beginners all the way through advanced skim spins and tricks.  It is the only skim I found with multiple fin configurations.  I got mine for $319 shipped at wakehouse.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 9:58 AM, Kojak said:

In 2015, I took mrnate's advice and purchased a Model X.  It's a great board and definitely helped me improve my surfing skills.  

This off season, I purchased Phase 5's new Ahi.  Can't wait to try it out this summer!

Have you tried the Ahi yet?  I have the danelio diamond and thinking about trying this one out.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:55 AM, goodmatt78 said:

I just received my slingshot butter bar last night.  This is my first board and seems to fit the bill for easy to get up on for beginners all the way through advanced skim spins and tricks.  It is the only skim I found with multiple fin configurations.  I got mine for $319 shipped at wakehouse.

I wanted to add a skim board to our boat and was considering this board vs a phase5 diamond. Any input out there?

All I can tell you is that I have a Phase5 Diamond and it is awesome. I have friends with three different boards, but they all consistently ride my Diamond...it is kind of annoying.

3 hours ago, Skin2Win said:

Have you tried the Ahi yet?  I have the danelio diamond and thinking about trying this one out.

Not yet but planning on Monday morning. 

• Like 2

The Keenan pro skim is my skim buddies go to skim. Flat tail makes it really fast. The surf is fast but pretty locked in with 4 fins.

Just now, surfdude said:

The Keenan pro skim is my skim buddies go to skim. Flat tail makes it really fast. The surf is fast but pretty locked in with 4 fins.

His skim have 2 fins, and one empty spot in middle of want to go to single fin set up? I have a phase 5 Danielo diamond. Think keen will be faster than it or about the same?

There gonna be similar the more fins the more drive, sacrificing looseness. Flat tail vs pin tail adds drive.

Edited by surfdude
12 hours ago, Skin2Win said:

Bought the 53" at surfest and loved it and wife really loves it as it's like a two seater sports car with a big motor!, by comparison the larger Ahi was a PIG!  My 4'8" happy pill beats the larger Ahi

Couldn't pearl the nose if you tried to on the 53!  Cause it's very buoyant. Even when my foot is really forward and with two fin setup in forward slots easy to 360, super maneuverable and the pad is very grippy and the Cuda skin on the rails should make it very durable

side note can't wait for my Brigade goofy 4'10" asymmetrical to show up, bought it at surfest but it had a nick so Shawn is repairing it, SHAWN I reslly wish I had for Memorial Day but that wac out of his control , that board was a ton of fun 

Edited by granddaddy55