Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Surf Board

devklee

Looking for a new surfboard and probably deciding on the Phase 5 Model X. I can get a 2015 board from the factory for 499 or the 2016 model for ~607 from boardco. Does anyone know if there are any differences between the two other than graphics that make the 2016 worth the extra $100? Or any other suggestions perhaps? Thanks

Only graphics. I have a 2013(I think)model and it is exactly the same as my buddy's 2015 model. Great board!! I'd save the money and buy something else with the older board. 

• Like 2

I am not sure about any differences in those years, but you will love the board. We had tried a lot of boards, but when we demoed the Model X it was just so much better than anything else. My son rides the Model X and I have the Danielo Diamond. They both are fast, easy to steer and when you put weight forward they go forward, and put weight on the back foot and it will stay back. You will be happy!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I am not sure about any differences in those years, but you will love the board. We had tried a lot of boards, but when we demoed the Model X it was just so much better than anything else. My son rides the Model X and I have the Danielo Diamond. They both are fast, easy to steer and when you put weight forward they go forward, and put weight on the back foot and it will stay back. You will be happy!

I initially was looking at the Diamond. Any real riding differences between the diamond and model x?

1 hour ago, devklee said:

I initially was looking at the Diamond. Any real riding differences between the diamond and model x?

I have ridden both, and I prefer the Diamond because it is more like a hybrid board. Whereas the Model X is more of a skim board and is a little easier to do 360's. My son can do a 360, but me, not yet.

3 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have ridden both, and I prefer the Diamond because it is more like a hybrid board. Whereas the Model X is more of a skim board and is a little easier to do 360's. My son can do a 360, but me, not yet.

I think you have that backwards. The Diamond is a true skim, and the X is a hybrid. The Diamond rides looser than the X. If you are beginning to learn, the Model X is a board that you can progress on quite easily. The Diamond is much more loose comparatively speaking. Both do 360s pretty easily. 

• Like 3

I'm very temped to try the Model X.  I have a hyperlite shim right now which is also a hybrid and like that style.  I tried a surf doomswell and just didn't like it.  I've also tried skim and definitely don't like going total skim....  I hate dropping $600 to find out I don't like something (eg, the doomswell experiment!)

In 2015, I took mrnate's advice and purchased a Model X.  It's a great board and definitely helped me improve my surfing skills.  

This off season, I purchased Phase 5's new Ahi.  Can't wait to try it out this summer!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I'm very temped to try the Model X.  I have a hyperlite shim right now which is also a hybrid and like that style.  I tried a surf doomswell and just didn't like it.  I've also tried skim and definitely don't like going total skim....  I hate dropping $600 to find out I don't like something (eg, the doomswell experiment!)

Take a look at boardco.com if you haven't already. They have lifetime returns so if you don't like it you can exchange it whenever you want, given that it isn't damaged. 

So its lifetime, but in the fine print it could be considered used is labels are removed and therefore its only 50% refund.  Minus shipping BOTH WAYS.  So even though it says free shipping .. they are likely going to hit you up for expensive shipping since they ship 3 day.  So you buy a 700 board and only get 350 back plus ~$100 in shipping so 250?  I'd do better selling it on CL.

FROM BOARDCO:
Fine Print:

All items returned must be in new, unused condition. Any items that have wear / damage or do not include all original tags and packaging will either not be accepted or be subject (up to) a 50% restocking fee. Contact us if you have questions about this before shipping your stuff and we will help you out.

The customer is responsible for original and return shipping charges which will be deducted from the refund.

• Like 2

If you have access to local shops, some rent various boards.  Then Rental applies to purchase.  I don't mind dropping  $40 to try a new board occasionally.  We have rented a few times and then ended up purchasing a couple of them.  It is nice to have a couple days to really demo the product thoroughly.  

In AZ skipro is great... I will likely try a couple different skim boards this year, via rental

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2017 at 1:13 PM, devklee said:

Danielo diamond carbon is the best all around board in the lineup imho. I have owned several P5 and if I had to choose one I would choose the Danielo Diamond carbon in a heartbeat. 

They are both great boards, the Diamond breaks loose a bit easier than the X due to the rounded tail. The X is a great board for sure. The X isn't a hybrid, more of a modified skim....

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, 05hammerhead said:

Lots of people I know switched from the Diamond to the Hammerhead.  Might be worth looking at that board as well. 

Any more info as to why they switched.  I had decided I was going to get a model x this year as my dealer picked up Phase 5 but then after some research, I keep going back to the hammerhead.  Would like to pull the trigger.  I would like to do easier 360s and airs.  I currently have a Cove Prelude 55 that is a great surf board but really think I need a skim in the arsenal.

5 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

I dont have a ton of info.  360s will be a cake walk on the HH but if you want airs you may want to go to more of a surf style like the swell. 

This is what I am finding in my research.  My issue with airs is sometimes I come down reverse which also seems like a huge positive to the HH because it is really designed to ride both ways.  No jokes please!!

On 1/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, 05hammerhead said:

Lots of people I know switched from the Diamond to the Hammerhead.  Might be worth looking at that board as well. 

Those are the 2 boards I own, and they're different.  Both awesome, I'm really happy with both of them.  

On 1/2/2017 at 1:13 PM, devklee said:

Model X is more stable where the Diamnond is looser. Look at the shape on the back of the board. Both great boards and both are skim type boards 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping my eye on this thread and have now finalized the purchase on my 2014 24mxz, so time to get some advice and make a purchase.  I'm looking to add 2 boards this year for a family of 8, all of us rated as beginners to intermediate.  Currently, we have a Liquid Force Fish 5'3 that my oldest boys (17 and 15) used last year.  I'd like to add a Phase 5 Model X - thinking 53??  I'd also like to add 1 for the girls/smaller.  

Any recommendations to fill the gap?  

Current - Liquid Force Fish 5'3 (up to 210lbs)

Adding - Phase 5 Model X 52 (up to 185)

Suggestions - ?  (Something for my wife, 19 year old daughter, 13 year old daughter, 8 year old son)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, OnTheWater said:

I've been keeping my eye on this thread and have now finalized the purchase on my 2014 24mxz, so time to get some advice and make a purchase.  I'm looking to add 2 boards this year for a family of 8, all of us rated as beginners to intermediate.  Currently, we have a Liquid Force Fish 5'3 that my oldest boys (17 and 15) used last year.  I'd like to add a Phase 5 Model X - thinking 53??  I'd also like to add 1 for the girls/smaller.  

Any recommendations to fill the gap?  

Current - Liquid Force Fish 5'3 (up to 210lbs)

Adding - Phase 5 Model X 52 (up to 185)

Suggestions - ?  (Something for my wife, 19 year old daughter, 13 year old daughter, 8 year old son)

Thanks!

Looks like you have two surf style between the Fish and Model X.  I have found it easier on the women that ride with us for a hybrid type board unless you buy a "surf" style to their weight/height.  My wife has a hard time pushing down our surf board on starts but a big part of it is because I bought it as a boat board so you can put a 220lb person on it.  We have a cove prelude 55" and my wife gets up easy on it as well as my 10yo daughter.  Rob is a member here and has an axis as well.  Great boards at similar prices to mass produced.  http://covewakesurfers.com/