Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE Help Have you seen this?

crowly100

I bought a new Fresh Air Exhaust this year as my winter project.  I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXI direct drive with a teak swim platform and a manual wedge.  I spent the time measuring everything for FAE and was sent the set up after a week or two of manufacturing.  FAE is experimenting with a new mounting bracket so the unit no longer attaches to the platform.  The bracket did not work for my boat so I was suggested to mount with a bolt into the ski locker at the back of the boat.  

I took the boat out after install to test without the swim platform there was a large spray.  I took pictures and sent them back to Larry whom I am guessing is the owner and designer. He said he had never heard anyone test without the platform on.  I went out yesterday and tested again.  The spray is obviously being blocked now by the platform but is making it's way up through the platform.  My friend has an FAE on his 2005 Wakesetter with a fiberglass deck obviously we can't see if there is a spray as there is no where for it to come up.

Question is has anyone with a teak deck experienced this? If so did you live with it or was there some tweak you did to resolve the problem?  There isn't much room to modify or move so just wondering what others may have done. My inclination at this point is to return the FAE but want it to work if possible.

Thanks guys,

Kris

34np734.jpg2nhg3f4.jpg2cp7t39.jpg9r0zn7.jpg2wgdnqh.jpgzuse3s.jpg

Edited by crowly100
Added Pics

I didn't have any issue with a teak platform on my previous boat.  I agree that it would be weird to test this without the platform (since I'm sure you didn't test it without the platform before hand.)  Are you 100% sure you didn't get any spray or gurgle through the platform before?  Does it really matter?

I have an aftermarket FAE on my boat that looks very similar to the pics you've posted. I do not get that spray in motion or when stationary. Granted I have a solid swim deck but your pic shows the water shooting up through the gap between the boat and your swim deck. I do have that small gap and don't get that kind of spray. I'd say when I'm stationary mine more bubbles than anything elses.

Can you angle the output tube back a bit more?

This might be isolated to the LXi with the overhang out back.  Wondering what'd happen if you put some weather stripping between the platform and the hull.  Probably still get a bit of spray up through the wedge trap door but it'd cut down on some of the spray I'd bet.

Do you ski or only do board sports?  With that much turbulence, I'd worry about wrecking the slalom wake or barefoot table.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, racer808 said:

I think you need to adjust the angle of the down spout.  I did a little a spray off mind but nothing I worried about

This.  The angle needs changed, most likely downward (closer to the prop).  I have a very similar platform and it never sprayed through it that badly.  You should also reclock your clamps for a cleaner look.

I had to design a surf flap as the FAE ruined my surf wave (washed the crap out of it).  Not sure if it is still needed now that I have a Fauxnix Wakeshaper, but was 100% needed when listed.  FAE is great but has a number of drawbacks - I think a lot of owners ignore or downplay the issues because of the sound/smell being cut down so well that they want to love it.  I lost 5MPH (I think from a combo of restrictive exhaust = less power + drag of the unit).  More fumes at idle than with flappers and STE.  Bit more spray and jacking up my surf wake (surf flap resolved this).  No impact on wakeboard or ski wake. 

I also had to raise my platform 2" to properly clear the FAE.  I could have done probably 1-1.5" and it would have been fine.  At stock height I would have had to have the FAE very improperly adjusted in order to fit under there.  Mind you, I have a floating wedge and I believe the FAE mounting for the old fixed wedge is a little different.

Edited by Nitrousbird
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

This.  The angle needs changed, most likely downward (closer to the prop).  I have a very similar platform and it never sprayed through it that badly.  You should also reclock your clamps for a cleaner look.

I had to design a surf flap as the FAE ruined my surf wave (washed the crap out of it).  Not sure if it is still needed now that I have a Fauxnix Wakeshaper, but was 100% needed when listed.  FAE is great but has a number of drawbacks - I think a lot of owners ignore or downplay the issues because of the sound/smell being cut down so well that they want to love it.  I lost 5MPH (I think from a combo of restrictive exhaust = less power + drag of the unit).  More fumes at idle than with flappers and STE.  Bit more spray and jacking up my surf wake (surf flap resolved this).  No impact on wakeboard or ski wake. 

I also had to raise my platform 2" to properly clear the FAE.  I could have done probably 1-1.5" and it would have been fine.  At stock height I would have had to have the FAE very improperly adjusted in order to fit under there.  Mind you, I have a floating wedge and I believe the FAE mounting for the old fixed wedge is a little different.

My ghetto gate got rid of the little bit of wash I had going with my FAE.  For the most part I installed mine, adjusted the angle of the spout after one outing & never really had any issue.  Except the power loss was the same as yours & everyone on here says I am crazy.  Was still worth it, best upgrade I did.  I would get it on my MB but the engine compartment is so damn loud it wouldn't matter except for the rider.  The CATS & turn downs do a decent job so it hasn't been a priority upgrade.  I want more boom boom, the stock Wetsound sub sounds like crap & my Rev10's need more power.  And another pair of Rev10s.  

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I thought they switched to a one piece design rather than the pile of tinker toys and clamps?

Only for certain hulls and not the SV23.  The design is fairly restrictive.

14 hours ago, racer808 said:

My ghetto gate got rid of the little bit of wash I had going with my FAE.  For the most part I installed mine, adjusted the angle of the spout after one outing & never really had any issue.  Except the power loss was the same as yours & everyone on here says I am crazy.  Was still worth it, best upgrade I did.  I would get it on my MB but the engine compartment is so damn loud it wouldn't matter except for the rider.  The CATS & turn downs do a decent job so it hasn't been a priority upgrade.  I want more boom boom, the stock Wetsound sub sounds like crap & my Rev10's need more power.  And another pair of Rev10s.  

@racer808 in my case on the MB adding FAE was like doubling the stereo power from the tower (with the handle in my hand).  I was running two pair of Rev10s and still couldn't hear them over the roar of the straight-piped 350.  Added FAE and it was like voila! Stereo!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

@racer808 in my case on the MB adding FAE was like doubling the stereo power from the tower (with the handle in my hand).  I was running two pair of Rev10s and still couldn't hear them over the roar of the straight-piped 350.  Added FAE and it was like voila! Stereo!

Did you upgrade the amp or just run the stock wetsounds?  I know it's not comparable to the monster system I put on the last boat but man the stock set up sucks, you'd think for the money they'd do it right

9 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Did you upgrade the amp or just run the stock wetsounds?  I know it's not comparable to the monster system I put on the last boat but man the stock set up sucks, you'd think for the money they'd do it right

Mine was built from scratch.  two pairs of rev10s on an arc 600.2.  Later I added a second 600.2 and ran each pair off of its own amp.  No difference in volume at the end of the rope.  Then I added the FAE and was amazed.

I also redid the stock sub.  moving the sub to under the helm makes a TON of difference.  I wasn't going to win any SPL contests, but a 12 in a sealed 1.2' box on 600w sounded really good in the boat.  Plenty of boom for personal listening.

• Like 2
On 12/29/2016 at 11:16 AM, UWSkier said:

Can you angle the output tube back a bit more?

This might be isolated to the LXi with the overhang out back.  Wondering what'd happen if you put some weather stripping between the platform and the hull.  Probably still get a bit of spray up through the wedge trap door but it'd cut down on some of the spray I'd bet.

Do you ski or only do board sports?  With that much turbulence, I'd worry about wrecking the slalom wake or barefoot table.

On 12/29/2016 at 11:40 AM, racer808 said:

I think you need to adjust the angle of the down spout.  I did a little a spray off mind but nothing I worried about

It is a little hard to tell from the pics how the angle of the downspout is, but I think it needs to go back, yours appears to go forward a little.    Hopefully, you have enough clearance with your wedge.  Every FAE I have seen have the downpipe going backwards.  

DSC_3916.jpg?fit=800,691

• Like 2
On 12/30/2016 at 7:32 PM, TallRedRider said:

It is a little hard to tell from the pics how the angle of the downspout is, but I think it needs to go back, yours appears to go forward a little.    Hopefully, you have enough clearance with your wedge.  Every FAE I have seen have the downpipe going backwards.  

DSC_3916.jpg?fit=800,691

This is a good call. I didn't catch that when I looked at the pics the first time. Mine looks exactly like this pic as well. Yours seems to be angled the wrong way. Should be an easy fix.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:32 AM, CharlieBeaU said:

This is a good call. I didn't catch that when I looked at the pics the first time. Mine looks exactly like this pic as well. Yours seems to be angled the wrong way. Should be an easy fix.

is your drain plug leaking?

On 09/01/2017 at 1:52 AM, Chia said:

is your drain plug leaking?

Could be just thread tape with a few strips hanging.

if this is a leak, can't see how this much water would pass by the threads 

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys,

It has rained so much here I haven't been able to get out to test the new angle.  I will angle it back a little.  The problem is the wedge the clearance is very tight.  Just a word to anyone doing this on a lxi, not sure it's worth the money.  It lowered the volume a little but definitely not like my buddies vlx with a v drive.   With the  center mount engine there doesn't seem to be the noticeable drop in engine noise I was hoping for.  I have also done Wake girls engine compartment quieting mod.  Both have helped in small ways but again not sure it's worth it ymmv.  

Cheers

5 hours ago, crowly100 said:

Thanks guys,

It has rained so much here I haven't been able to get out to test the new angle.  I will angle it back a little.  The problem is the wedge the clearance is very tight.  Just a word to anyone doing this on a lxi, not sure it's worth the money.  It lowered the volume a little but definitely not like my buddies vlx with a v drive.   With the  center mount engine there doesn't seem to be the noticeable drop in engine noise I was hoping for.  I have also done Wake girls engine compartment quieting mod.  Both have helped in small ways but again not sure it's worth it ymmv.  

Cheers

are you not noticing a significant drop in volume at wakeboard speed or surf speed.......or both? I would imagine that at surf speed, with some form of ballast, that a DD would still have enough angle/weight in the rear to push the FAE well under the water therefor significantly reducing noise. At wakeboard speed its likely a different story. The DD with a ski hull is designed to get out of the hole and on top of the water with as little speed as possible, the wake hull & v-drive is designed to "push" more water at lower speeds rather than sit on top of it.....hence the bigger wake.

Now.....I say this with absolutely zero FAE experience but this is what i've noticed with our iRide. The 1800lbs of ballast we run helps but the boat still wants to get on top of the water at lower speeds

I added an FAE to my '01 Sunsetter VLX a couple years ago.  After a few trials I learned that I had to angle that vertical pipe absolutely as far back as possible and still clear the manual wedge.  I'm talking millimeters.  Anything else resulted in that crazy wash out.  After that I had nothing like what you're seeing.  It was real nice and quieter in the cabin. But before? yeah.  I had to lift my platform up 1.5" for the FAE to fit under the platform and clear the manual wedge in the stored position.  I've got a decent stock of photos, but I don't have the boat any more.  Ronnie and I tinkered with it a good bit, and then I spent an afternoon at the ramp tinkering with it more going on and off the trailer till I just angled it back all the way.  I'd say it was probably in the end somewhere between 15-20 degrees off vertical.

Hopefully someone who still has an FAE on the boat in their possession can chime in.

Mine definitely does not have 15 degrees back angle available before it hits the wedge.  I put it back as far as possible yesterday it is about 5 degrees back of neutral.  I can take it out later this week and I will report back.  

On 12/29/2016 at 8:43 AM, crowly100 said:

I bought a new Fresh Air Exhaust this year as my winter project.  I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXI direct drive with a teak swim platform and a manual wedge.  I spent the time measuring everything for FAE and was sent the set up after a week or two of manufacturing.  FAE is experimenting with a new mounting bracket so the unit no longer attaches to the platform.  The bracket did not work for my boat so I was suggested to mount with a bolt into the ski locker at the back of the boat.  

I took the boat out after install to test without the swim platform there was a large spray.  I took pictures and sent them back to Larry whom I am guessing is the owner and designer. He said he had never heard anyone test without the platform on.  I went out yesterday and tested again.  The spray is obviously being blocked now by the platform but is making it's way up through the platform.  My friend has an FAE on his 2005 Wakesetter with a fiberglass deck obviously we can't see if there is a spray as there is no where for it to come up.

Question is has anyone with a teak deck experienced this? If so did you live with it or was there some tweak you did to resolve the problem?  There isn't much room to modify or move so just wondering what others may have done. My inclination at this point is to return the FAE but want it to work if possible.

Thanks guys,

Kris

34np734.jpg

The rooster tail is bc you did not have your teak on. I do not have FAE and my 2001 LSV does the same thing without the platform on.

Edited by Roush611