Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat + New Location = Big Change for IXFE

IXFE

16 hours ago, IXFE said:

Surge breaks, as usual. Electric brakes are almost $2k option. 

Does anybody order those??

I got electric brakes on my most recent boat.  I don't miss the clunk on acceleration at all.  The braking sure feels a lot more consistent.  It seems I could not even lock up my surge brakes if I wanted to.  This trailer seems to stop better.  

I was disappointed that Boatmate makes the trailer with electric brakes about a good 16 inches longer (I am estimating) in the tongue than the trailer with surge brakes.  It still fits in my garage without having to fold the tongue, but it leaves me very little space in the rear, which I find annoying every time I walk behind the boat in the garage, and now have to suck my gut in to make it.  

I also found if you work it just right on shallow ramps, the power short circuits when the plug is dunked and the brakes lock up when trying to pull the boat out of the water.  I cannot make it occur every time, but I am now always prepared to unplug the trailer if I am suddenly spinning the tires on the ramp because the trailer is locked up under water.  I then plug it right back in and everything returns to normal.  

I always liked the G3's. Since the G4 came out I've really grown to like them. But for whatever reason, that G3.5 looks really good on that boat. I like it a lot.

Sharp sharp boat!   Looks positively HUGE. 

Sounds like I got some good advice on the PTM racks... ordered them on my 22VLX despite the fairly big price tag. 

3 hours ago, wheelman said:

Once you've had the clamping racks there will be no going back. 

I'm on my first set this year and you're 100% right.  Going back to bungee cord racks would be like going back to black and white TV...okay, maybe pre-HD TV.

Edited by tjklein
On 4/30/2017 at 2:08 AM, IXFE said:

I've had G4 the last two years. Love that tower. However,  lots of reasons I switched:

1) I'm not gonna be in and out of the garage every time we go out so no need to lower the tower. That was always the main attraction to the G4  

2) Really like the new handles and locking mechanism on the G3.5.  

3) New base on the G3.5 also looks beefier than G3 and G3.2, which it needed, imho

4) Wanted to go with 6 tower speakers which is impossible on the G4  

6 tower speaker oh my..... you are really going to be able to crank the tunes. 

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Indeed, you have no idea how close I was to ordering the second pair!  

I had a second pair on my last boat, this one,  one pair.  Clamping racks are awesome though.   If I were to do a second set of racks though it would be these. https://www.roswellmarine.com/product/triton-board-rack/

I saw these at the boat show on a G25, they would be awesome as upper rack!  My next boat will likely only have 1 pair of these. 

Edited by DarkSide
On 4/29/2017 at 11:08 PM, IXFE said:

6) Time for a change. What good is boat flipping if you're do everything the same every year?  I'm always tinkering.  

Just curious, does moving to a state with Sales Tax make it a little tougher to pencil out the yearly flip? 

I love your new boat. I keep going back to the pics. I can't wait to see a few of it on the water. Congrats again.

9 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Just curious, does moving to a state with Sales Tax make it a little tougher to pencil out the yearly flip? 

I know we'll hear it straight from the source but I just want to speculate that lower income taxes, cheaper real estate and a higher salary will more than offset the sales tax on his yearly boat purchase.  I personally would have a hard time looking at the "big picture" when writing that check (and umm.... I'm rocking a 2004!) but I can understand how some would justify it.

2 hours ago, Fffrank said:

I know we'll hear it straight from the source but I just want to speculate that lower income taxes, cheaper real estate and a higher salary will more than offset the sales tax on his yearly boat purchase.  I personally would have a hard time looking at the "big picture" when writing that check (and umm.... I'm rocking a 2004!) but I can understand how some would justify it.

I hear ya. I wasn't really questioning the overall affordability. Just curious about the dollars and cents of the flip itself.

Not to derail this thread, but I don't property taxes in TX make up a lot of the difference in no state income taxes?   Sales tax is the #1 deterrent to me for flipping annually or semi-annually here in KS/MO.   

Look at it this way. You only pay taxes on the difference of last years boat and this years boat if you show it as a trade in (called an In & Out). So if you paid $100k last year and $105k this year, you pay taxes on 5k. Your first boat is where the taxes hit you. After that, not so much. You dealer may have to pay a few $$ as inventory tax but the buyer pays that. I have never sold a boat to anyone in Texas, they all go out of state. My past boats are all over the country. Onlyinboards.com gives you a wide audience.

• Like 2

@Ronnie for that to work does the "trade" have to go through the dealer?  It does in AZ.  The dealer either 1. Takes in on trade 2. Sells on consignment (fee negotiable)  

The consignment is then converted to trade in right before sale.   Then tax is paid on delta.   If i sell privately,  i lose tax savings on new purchase.   Sales tax here is 8.3%  so it turns into real money fast!  As a result some dealers tend to low ball trades.   So dealer relatiomship is paramoumt.

• Like 1

If you're gonna flip boats, you have to have a great relationship with your dealer. Yes, it has to go through the dealer. How that works is between you and your dealer.

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Not to derail this thread, but I don't property taxes in TX make up a lot of the difference in no state income taxes?   Sales tax is the #1 deterrent to me for flipping annually or semi-annually here in KS/MO.   

It's not as bad as you would think.  I've had 3 boats in 3 years and tax is only on the difference in MO.

Just now, potterm said:

It's not as bad as you would think.  I've had 3 boats in 3 years and tax is only on the difference in MO.

Hmmm, I forgot you only pay tax on the difference.  The LSV is due for a refresh soon :)

You in MO?  Who is your dealer?

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Look at it this way. You only pay taxes on the difference of last years boat and this years boat if you show it as a trade in (called an In & Out). So if you paid $100k last year and $105k this year, you pay taxes on 5k. Your first boat is where the taxes hit you. After that, not so much. You dealer may have to pay a few $$ as inventory tax but the buyer pays that. I have never sold a boat to anyone in Texas, they all go out of state. My past boats are all over the country. Onlyinboards.com gives you a wide audience.

In fact, the sales tax creates an incentive to trade and flip in states with the same tax policy and creates a disincentive to go private sale.  I just paid very close to 10% sales tax on a new boat in WA because I did not have a trade.  Sales tax was a big reason I sat on my old tug boat for so long. 

Now, going forward, every year I wait to trade, I will get taxed more on the flip because of the decreased trade value, which creates an incentive to flip.  At some point, the longer I sit on the boat as it ages, the more tax incentive there is to continue to sit and ride the old boat into the dirt. 

Edited by jjackkrash
50 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

In fact, the sales tax creates an incentive to trade and flip in states with the same tax policy and creates a disincentive to go private sale.  I just paid very close to 10% sales tax on a new boat in WA because I did not have a trade.  Sales tax was a big reason I sat on my old tug boat for so long. 

Now, going forward, every year I wait to trade, I will get taxed more on the flip because of the decreased trade value, which creates an incentive to flip.  At some point, the longer I sit on the boat as it ages, the more tax incentive there is to continue to sit and ride the old boat into the dirt. 

Unless you are a buyer!  In AZ If you buy from a dealer you pay sales tax.  If you buy private party NO SALES TAX!  

So hypotbetically dealer has 2016 23 lsv for 90k, i have 2016 23 lsv for 95k.  It would be cheaper to buy mine at 95k and no tax vs. 90k + 8.3% sales tax at the dealer.   

Just now, DarkSide said:

Unless you are a buyer!  In AZ If you buy from a dealer you pay sales tax.  If you buy private party NO SALES TAX!  

So hypotbetically dealer has 2016 23 lsv for 90k, i have 2016 23 lsv for 95k.  It would be cheaper to buy mine at 95k and no tax vs. 90k + 8.3% sales tax at the dealer.   

In WA, the state taxes private-party sales at the same rate and gets you at title transfer, only no trade-in offset.  The state even gets you if you buy out of state.  

California has got to be the worst. You buy a boat, you pay tax. 7-9% depending on county. New/used, trade/no trade, doesn't matter. On top of that they have an annual luxury tax of  ~1% of the appraised value.  

Edited by isellacuras