Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching from 14" to 15" Wheels on 2015 Boatmate Trailer

Wakesetter67

Hey thinking of updating my wheels on my 2015 Boatmate trailer, I do not what to go 18" or bigger, Just looking for a nicer wheel and thought if it's not too much trouble going with a 15" wheel with new tires, My question, Will they  fit on with no clearance issues or do I have to adjust the fenders a bit, I like the idea of a 15" wheel! seems 14" on these boats look really small, any thoughts.. 

Edited by Wakesetter67
29 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Why not 18" wheels?  Would really improve the look of your setup.

I'm trying to do a budget fix, I hate the 2015 Wheels, and I have other plans for the extra $$$.  I just did not want to spend that much on new wheels and tires, Plus I think I would need different fenders? 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Fman said:

Looks great, nice upgrade!  yeah those 15's definitely look better.

I have always liked them when I seen them on the 2016. I even looked at all the other 15" wheels offered for my trailer and those still looked the best with the combo, It just gave it more pop! The others are fine just boring, I was just looking for a low budget upgrade and a better load rated Tire, 

On 1/14/2017 at 7:43 AM, jjackkrash said:

The wheels look great.  What load rating did you end up with?  

Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire - ST205/75R15 D 8 PLY Load rating 2150 I believe my old tires were rated at 1850 per tire. I think the 14's are pushing it on this boat, I went through a couple of tires on my old 2010 VLX on long trips they were junk! and it was a bit lighter, 

Edited by Wakesetter67
On 1/14/2017 at 11:34 AM, RyanB said:

Agree that they look good.  Are you able to get an LT tire with a better load rating than the 14"s?

Yes the load rating is 2150 This is an 8 Ply D: Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire - ST205/75R15 D 8 PLY

We run load range D on our travel trailer, but I am going to replace them with at least E soon, which really jacks up the PSI, load capacity, and sidewall stiffness.  A few of my trailering buddies who have had trailering blowouts have convinced me that upping the load range well past what is required reduces the risk of blowouts significantly.  One good friend, in fact, runs only load range G on his 5th wheel, which IIRC is rated for about double his actual weight.  Maybe overkill, but trailering blowouts really, really suck.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

We run load range D on our travel trailer, but I am going to replace them with at least E soon, which really jacks up the PSI, load capacity, and sidewall stiffness.  A few of my trailering buddies who have had trailering blowouts have convinced me that upping the load range well past what is required reduces the risk of blowouts significantly.  One good friend, in fact, runs only load range G on his 5th wheel, which IIRC is rated for about double his actual weight.  Maybe overkill, but trailering blowouts really, really suck.  

Agreed on going up in load range as much as possible.  Just remember that often you need different rims to accommodate the higher PSI of the new tires.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Yes I totally agree, my stock tires were C Rated, So this should be an upgrade! 

• 6 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 9:21 PM, Dan Lee said:

I've done this on a handful of boats.  15x7 with -6 offset.   On a 205/75R15 they are 1" taller than a 205/75R14, but that is only 1/2" closer to the fender.  Plenty of clearance & it looks good.

Here is a current boat with this setup

http://boulderboats.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4813497

appreciate this thread ! I know its old but wondering if anyone know the Lug size on 2015 Boatmate Trailer? Currently don't have my trailer and trying to do the same upgrade.

Thanks!!