Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20' New Wakeboard boat choice?

PhillipsHappens

I am in the market for a new 20' wakeboard boat, and looking for input.  Primary use is cruising our small lake, wakeboarding, surfing and tubing.  Occassional skiing and occassional cruising in Puget Sound (saltwater).  I want a good wake and to surf easily (i.e. automated), but I can't afford, and couldn't appreciate a true competition boat.

Our family cabin is at a small lake (longest run is about 2500 LF), and this is where the boat will be used most of the time.  We are never more than 5 mins from the dock, so I don't see a need for wakeboard racks?  A 20' boat is perfect for us...22 is too big for driving, storage, etc.  The lake is so small that you can definitely wakeboard, but there isn't a lot of extra room.  I am a decent wakeboard (180 across the wake...), but I want to get something that the family and friends can enjoy.

We have had a Bayliner 175 for 12 years and love it, but it is time to upgrade.  Our budget is around $60-70k.  I'm considering the Moomba Helix, and maybe the F21 Tomcat, NXT20 and Axis 20'.

I'm planning on buying at the boat show in the next 60 days, so I probably won't be able to drive it...which is a huge concern...but I honestly just love being on the water with a nice wake, and don't know that a little difference in handling here or there will be a big deal.  That said, I looked at the Bayliner VR5 and was shocked at how "utilitarian" and cheap the interior felt.  I plan on owning this boat for 15+ years...and I want to be proud of it.

Any suggestions or considerations?  Options we should definitely take, etc?

The Mastercraft would probably be the most expensive and smallest (no clue why they would go back to a 91" beam) so that would get crossed off my list real quick.  

Out of the remaining 3, I would probably go with MB if it were me just cause the interior seems way nicer.  MB and Axis both put out great wakes.  I've seen the helix in person and was impressed in its size for a 20 ft boat but haven't heard anything about the wakes behind it.  They will all outperform the bayliner by a mile so don't think you'll be disappointed in any.

The axis a20 is a very solid choice for your budget. I would definitely avoid the new Bayliner you mentioned because if you ever decide to get into surfing then you would have to upgrade again. The NXT seem like pretty good boats but they aren't as cheap as they were supposed to be and IMO the worst looking of the boats. 

EDIT:   As I have just learnt Malibu offers a boat that is 20ft in length and is able ski and surf.  The confusion is now over, ignore my posts. 

I would definitely go check out the tige r20 and rzr. Great little boats that out out pretty decent wakes. 

Seattle area? 

http://www.bjornsonmotors.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2727055&p=2&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

http://www.secamarine.com/boat-sales/pre-owned-boats/2015-tige-r201/

Edited by Cole2001
Inaccurate info
1 hour ago, PhillipsHappens said:

so I don't see a need for wakeboard racks?

I think you will change your mind real quick. I dont care how close you are to the dock, unless you always circle back to the dock to change riders, but no where to put 2-3 boards will grow old real quick. 

11 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Malibu doesn't really offer a 20ft model. I would definitely go check out the tige r20 and rzr. Great little boats that out out pretty decent wakes. 

Seattle area? 

http://www.bjornsonmotors.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2727055&p=2&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

http://www.secamarine.com/boat-sales/pre-owned-boats/2015-tige-r201/

huh? The vtx is 20 ft

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

huh? The vtx is 20 ft

I should have worded that differently. They make a 20ft boat but they stopped with the mxz. Isn't the Vtx more designed towards skiiing? I was partially excluding it from surf boats. 

9 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I should have worded that differently. They make a 20ft boat but they stopped with the mxz. Isn't the Vtx more designed towards skiiing? I was partially excluding it from surf boats. 

VTX will surf every bit as good as the A20 thanks to the power wedge (for 2016).  I had a 2013 VTX too and its still very ridable though not as good as the new VTX.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot

If you are looking at MB, add the new B52 21 to the list.  New design this year.  We have an MB F22 and love it - seems to be great quality through and through.  Not as "high tech" in the driver interface as a Malibu, but great performing none the less.

I haven't been in all these, but I'd definitely be looking hard at a used VTX.   

If you are set on going new, I'd probably be shopping the *gulp* Moomba Helix (20.5'), Tige, and the Axis A20.  Personally, the NXT's I've been around feel really cheap to me considering their inflated prices.  

And since we are good at stretching budgets and boats around here, for just under $80K, you could get the new 21VLX.  

Both the Helix and VLX run the "Raptor" motor and would be partially closed cooled, so that would help some with the salt.    

Any of these will be head and shoulders above the Bayliner in terms of not feeling utilitarian.    

• Like 2

I don't see how you could do this without testing.  There are so many 20' options and the surf wave will vary quite a bit boat to boat.  Not to mention the Mastercraft xt20 and Natique gs20 are both new models so there isn't much data on them yet.   

The 21 vlx would be awesome if you can get it in your budget.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

My point was the vtx isn't really the boat that fits the needs here. It'll do everything, but others will do 2 of those things better.

just stop.  LOL

VTX would be a perfect here.

• Like 4
ahopkins22LSV

With your budget I am going to suggest the Axis A20. I say that not because this is a Malibu/Axis forum but it is a proven board and surf wake. MB has gone through 4? surf systems in the past few years. Not sure how their latest works but their previous versions were still better without the surf system and list the boat. I agree with the above about the NXT, it is meh at best. I haven't been behind the helix, but there are two Moomba's on our lake (not helix's) and their owners are not thrilled with their surf waves. So that said, I would buy an Axis without demoing confidently because I know the surf system works and Axis has always been know for very good wakeboard wakes.

If you are willing to look used then a Malibu VTX would be my top choice too. But may still be hard to find in your 60-70k budget.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

If you want to wakeboard and arent super comfortable going big, stay away from the pickle forks.  They make a really wide wake that you need to hit pretty hard at pretty fast to clear. A T-series axis would be good or a VTX.  If you are more into surfing, Id go with an A series.  

On 12/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, Cole2001 said:

I did not know what the vtx was capable of. I suppose I know now, sorry for the confusion. 

So coles posts should be ignored it appears he doesn't know much of anything. 

VTX is the best choice for sure unless you want to step up to the GS20

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

Be very careful on boat-and-trailer choice if you are ever going to drop it in salt.  If I had a salt boat it would be an outboard.  My buddy has one of these for the Puget Sound and really likes it for a multi-purpose boat; the ski wake is actually pretty nice:

http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/nxt20ge

You also want a galvanized trailer for salt use.  Don't ever put a painted trailer in salt.  Also, investigate how the trim pieces are going to hold up in a salt environment, as the "stainless" steel pieces will develop varying degrees of pock marks depending on the quality of the material used.  

On 12/27/2016 at 6:02 AM, jjackkrash said:

Be very careful on boat-and-trailer choice if you are ever going to drop it in salt.  If I had a salt boat it would be an outboard.  My buddy has one of these for the Puget Sound and really likes it for a multi-purpose boat; the ski wake is actually pretty nice:

http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/nxt20ge

You also want a galvanized trailer for salt use.  Don't ever put a painted trailer in salt.  Also, investigate how the trim pieces are going to hold up in a salt environment, as the "stainless" steel pieces will develop varying degrees of pock marks depending on the quality of the material used.  

We will definitely have a galv trailer, and flush it religiously after using it for day trips in the saltwater.  I just want to make sure we aren't going to really hurt it long term by putting it in the saltwater.  We'll use it in salt 3-5 times per year, I suspect...and we'll leave in it in the lake most of the rest of the season (~3-4 months in Seattle).  I'll ask the dealer more about the other components.  I was a little worried about stereo components, too...wiring, etc...but I think those have come a long way in the last 10 years in terms of protection?