Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Differences in 97 and 98 Sunsetter

MichaelB14

I am looking at a 97 and a 98 Sunsetter for me to let the kids wakeboard, tube and surf.  I have looked at the brochures under the Resource tab and besides "servo gauges", I can't see any differences in the year models.  Is there anything I am missing?

The 97 is in a little better condition and has a snap cover (which is important to me since it will sit at the dock all summer), but the 98 has a wedge which I know can be added to the 97 but seems to be harder and harder to find.

Both $11k, 600-700 hours, tower, single axle trailer...

This won't be my main boat, it will only be to mess around with the kids.  Just want to make sure I am not missing anything that should push me to one year or another.

Thanks

If your goal is wakeboarding and surfing, you should really be looking at a V-drive.  You should be choosing a direct drive if skiing is a focus.  Not that you can't surf or wakeboard a direct drive, but a V-drive will typically do it better with less sacrifices (such as not having bags laying all over the boat, more room to move around, etc.).

I realize the vlx is better. I used to have a website that was sponsored by Malibu and Mastercraft so I have been through many v-drive boats. I have a 37' Carver that is my main boat and just looking for something to tie to the side of the dock to play with on the afternoon with the kids. I had set my max at $10k but bumped up to $11k. Not willing to go to $15k for what I am trying to get. 

Neither boat is anywhere close (both 3+ hours away) so if you know of some v-drive that isn't crazy far away I am all ears.  I just got to keep the cost down since I am spending cash I didn't tell my wife about ;)

I'm sure the Crew can help. But, ha, maybe think of it as few and far between, literally ! (on a tight budget) 

I'll bet you can find a Sunscape or another V somewhere, just possibly a little further. Keepin' my eyes open,

Steve B.

quick edit: I was very specific on my latest boat. Looked for over a year. 6 hours away. Sometimes you have to act fast. Other folks have the same idea we do.

Edited by Steve B.
Just wanted to add...
20 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I'm sure the Crew can help. But, ha, maybe think of it as few and far between, literally ! (on a tight budget) 

I'll bet you can find a Sunscape or another V somewhere, just possibly a little further. Keepin' my eyes open,

Not a chance in hell you are getting a Sunscape for 11k that is even close to usable. 

You can find some older V-drives for 11k that are usable.  It likely won't be a Malibu though.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MichaelB14 said:

Still also interested in my original question...

the more I look the more it looks like no real difference...

No big differences in the two. Add a little cash to make either one surf and you should be good to go. About the cheapest good V I found was 15 g's.

Steve B.

• 2 weeks later...