Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Question

Campbell24

What's the budget here? Maybe we  could help give you some other ideas if we knew that. I just bought a new truck and didn't consider either of these so can't really help on either of them. However I do know all about the diesel issues, my buddy had a 250 6.0 that blew headgaskets and it was a ton of money to fix. 

Even if bullet proofed, I would pass on the 6.0.  Just way too many issues.  There is a reason the trucks resale is so bad.

If you want a diesel, go with a Dodge or a GM.  You would be much better off.

My wife's father in laws 2011 Ford F350 Power Stroke main bearing blew up with 90k on it. Luckily he had the extended warranty so it only cost him $100 instead of the $15,000 it would of cost to get it fixed. 

I know I'm making it hard on myself on what to choose, I'm hesitant on a diesel cause I wont always be using it. Spring and summer ill use it a lot but fall and winter I wont use it that often and if i do it will just be around town. I work from home so I don't commute for work, I prolly only put 6,000 to 8,000 miles on a truck a year.

14 hours ago, Campbell24 said:

I know I'm making it hard on myself on what to choose, I'm hesitant on a diesel cause I wont always be using it. Spring and summer ill use it a lot but fall and winter I wont use it that often and if i do it will just be around town. I work from home so I don't commute for work, I prolly only put 6,000 to 8,000 miles on a truck a year.

You don't need a diesel for that kind of mileage. That being said if you want one get it you can always sell it. I know a guy that has a 6.0 he might sell. It goes to the shop every couple months to get worked on. It has 135k on the ticker. He's currently having some kind of a stutter issue so you might be able to get it cheap. 

I would honestly stay away from a 6.0 ford, anything you have to work on is a pain to get to, bullet proofed they may be reliable but that's 5000 dollars. Duramax's don't know a lot about, certain years  had injector issues. Personally have a 06 Dodge cummins 6 spd tuned since 100k only thing i have had to do to it other than regular maintenance was a water pump @190k miles. That would be my pick from the mid 2000's trucks. Any truck will have its own set of issues.     

Simple thought.  Try tossing a couple hundred lbs of sand bags in the back of your bed and see if that helps at all.  Also consider some better tires.  Granted each ramp/truck is different but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to pull a boat out at a decent ramp with 2wd.