Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Question

Campbell24

OK Guys,

I currently have a 2010 Nissan Titan King Cab 2wd and it has been struggling coming up the ramps. I had to get pulled out several times this past summer(embarrassing) I have a 2015 Axis T22, but may end up going T23. I pull every weekend to the lake spring, summer, and fall anywhere from 30 mils to 70 miles round trip and also mow a few yards on the side. I don't do much driving in the winter. My question is which truck would be better suited for me? I'm currently looking at a 2011 Nissan Titan Pro 4x and a 2007 Ford f250 fx4 6.0 Diesel. I would really like a diesel I have always wanted one, but not sure if it will work for what i do. What are yalls opinions?

Thanks,

Brandon

I do not know anything about the Titan trucks but know that the f250, if not bullet proofed, is known for issues.  I would recommend going with a minimum 1/2 ton truck for your pulling needs.  What is your terrain like when you are pulling?  If it is mostly flat, then a 1/2 ton truck can be enough for you.  If you have a lot of hills, then consider a 3/4 ton as it will have a bigger tranny.

Good luck!

A 1/2 ton Titan verse a 3/4, 6.0. Do your research on the Ford truck before you buy it so you understand what you're getting into. The Titan would easily work for your towing needs and getting up the ramp. 

Just now, bcoppess23 said:

I do not know anything about the Titan trucks but know that the f250, if not bullet proofed, is known for issues.  I would recommend going with a minimum 1/2 ton truck for your pulling needs.  What is your terrain like when you are pulling?  If it is mostly flat, then a 1/2 ton truck can be enough for you.  If you have a lot of hills, then consider a 3/4 ton as it will have a bigger tranny.

Good luck!

The 6.0 has been bullet proofed and a few other mods with only 105,000 miles. Terrain is mostly flat, but there are some lakes that I would like to go to that do have a few good steep hills. I like the idea of a diesel just worried with all that could go wrong, I do maintenance my trucks to a T. Also not familiar at all with  a diesel, but I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to them.

32 minutes ago, Campbell24 said:

OK Guys,

I currently have a 2010 Nissan Titan King Cab 2wd and it has been struggling coming up the ramps. I had to get pulled out several times this past summer(embarrassing) I have a 2015 Axis T22, but may end up going T23. I pull every weekend to the lake spring, summer, and fall anywhere from 30 mils to 70 miles round trip and also mow a few yards on the side. I don't do much driving in the winter. My question is which truck would be better suited for me? I'm currently looking at a 2011 Nissan Titan Pro 4x and a 2007 Ford f250 fx4 6.0 Diesel. I would really like a diesel I have always wanted one, but not sure if it will work for what i do. What are yalls opinions?

Thanks,

Brandon

I pull my A24 with a new duramax 1 ton.  The truck is overkill but can you ever have to much power? That being said my friend has a 1/2 Silverado with the 6.2 and it pulls my boat very good as well!  I would think any of the modern 1/2 ton trucks would be just fine... the question is do you want to be just fine or be able to pull pretty much anything you can?

and as a past powerstroke owner I would avoid the 6.0L...  I would feel better buying a 7.3 honestly.  If I was looking to spend around 20K on a truck I would look for a 2004-2006 duramax.  If less (like 15K or less) a 7.3 ford..

Just now, r33pwrd said:

I pull my A24 with a new duramax 1 ton.  The truck is overkill but can you ever have to much power? That being said my friend has a 1/2 Silverado with the 6.2 and it pulls my boat very good as well!  I would think any of the modern 1/2 ton trucks would be just fine... the question is do you want to be just fine or be able to pull pretty much anything you can?

I would love to have the ability and to know I can pull anything, Just get scared when I hear all the diesel stories of what can go wrong. The Titan seems like it would be much less of a nightmare.

Just now, Campbell24 said:

I would love to have the ability and to know I can pull anything, Just get scared when I hear all the diesel stories of what can go wrong. The Titan seems like it would be much less of a nightmare.

yup diesels can be serious money to fix...  personally I am not a Titan fan (based solely on looks) I would be all over a half ton chevy myself...

There are different opinions on what a "bulletproofed" 6.0 actually is. 

IF it's had ARP studs, egr delete or upgraded egr cooler, oil cooler and has been gotten rid of the gold coolant in favor of one of the many other ELC options ... it would be pretty safe to say it's a solid platform.

To make a 6.0 reliable , these are a few basic things that need to be done. I could go on and on, but I'll save the rest for later. 

6.0 makes more power , CAN be just as reliable as a 7.3l and has a MUCH better trans than the 7.3. I prefer a proper 6.0 to a 7.3l any day. And that 6.0 has NONE of the modern emission bullcrap to deal with as per say the 6.4 or 6.7.

Edited by Bawshogg
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Campbell24 said:

The 6.0 has been bullet proofed and a few other mods with only 105,000 miles. Terrain is mostly flat, but there are some lakes that I would like to go to that do have a few good steep hills. I like the idea of a diesel just worried with all that could go wrong, I do maintenance my trucks to a T. Also not familiar at all with  a diesel, but I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to them.

If it has been bullet proofed, you are in a better position with the truck.  Your terrain shouldn't be an issue with a 1/2 ton but like others have said, why not go bigger if you can.  I have a 2010 GMC Sierra Duramax (LMM) and love the truck.  I would not be scared from buying a diesel if you are not afraid to turn a wrench if needed.  There are so many options on good used trucks that you can get into but based on your criteria, I would go with the powerstroke over the nissan.

Someone is bound to recommend a newer F150 ecoboost any minute..

4 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

There are different opinions on what a "bulletproofed" 6.0 actually is. 

IF it's had ARP studs, egr delete or upgraded egr cooler, oil cooler and has been gotten rid of the gold coolant in favor of one of the many other ELC options ... it would be pretty safe to say it's a solid platform.

To make a 6.0 reliable , these are a few basic things that need to be done. I could go on and on, but I'll save the rest for later. 

6.0 makes more power , CAN be just as reliable as a 7.3l and has a MUCH better trans than the 7.3. I prefer a proper 6.0 to a 7.3l any day. And that 6.0 has NONE of the modern emission bullcrap to deal with as per say the 6.4 or 6.7.

The 6.0 I am looking at has the egr delete, headed studs etc. just don't understand what all that means, diesels are another language to me right now. My only worry is I work from home. Spring and summer ill be using it to tow my landscape trailer and boat quit a bit. Winter it might sit quit a bit. Will that mess a diesel up?

The 6.0 I am looking at has the egr delete, headed studs etc. just don't understand what all that means, diesels are another language to me right now. My only worry is I work from home. Spring and summer ill be using it to tow my landscape trailer and boat quit a bit. Winter it might sit quit a bit. Will that mess a diesel up?

I only use my diesels for pulling my boat and trailer and they will often sit for weeks...  no issues for me.  Yea "bulletproof 6.0" can be a good motor but personally I would still avoid it unless you can work on it yourself...  

Just now, teamerickson said:

How much better is the one year newer Titan going to be? Isn't it the same engine?

Same engine, But mine is 2wd extended cab with longer bed. I would be getting the Crew cab shorter bed and 4 Wheel Drive. I feel like it pulls it fine down the road but with the 2 wheel drive it spins on the ramps.

Same engine, But mine is 2wd extended cab with longer bed. I would be getting the Crew cab shorter bed and 4 Wheel Drive. I feel like it pulls it fine down the road but with the 2 wheel drive it spins on the ramps.

Ah. Yeah 4wd should help some.

Just now, r33pwrd said:

I only use my diesels for pulling my boat and trailer and they will often sit for weeks...  no issues for me.  Yea "bulletproof 6.0" can be a good motor but personally I would still avoid it unless you can work on it yourself...  

Some of my family members can work on ford trucks pretty well, and I can fix minor things and do all maintenance. Just worried about what can and what will go wrong if anything at all. I know im prolly worrying to much about a diesel, but I want this to be my last vehicle purchase for a while and don't want to end up with a lemon

Just now, teamerickson said:

Ah. Yeah 4wd should help some.

I have a buddy and he is on this forum that has a Titan 4wd and pulls his Vlx just fine, but boy doesn't that diesel sound nice!

Never thought buying a truck for towing my boat could be so worrisome. I would go through the building process of building my house again. lol

I towed our tige 23v, axis A22 and 23lsv with a '10 Titan CC with the big rear end.  It was meh at best.  Did it pull? Yes, but we have numerous mountains and steep ramps.  I finally got tired of HAVING to use 4wd to get up the ramp and running 5000rpm @25mph to get over our mountains.  The 6mpg while towing wasnt fun either.  Especially with a tiny azz fuel tank. Watch the Titans they have two different rear ends.  If you are familiar with Titans or have been on the titan forums, you already know.  Lots of people don't though.  

If the 6.0 has already been "fixed" then it's a no brainer to me.  We have a work van with the 6.0 and had to do all the work to it.  Been running great ever since.  Good luck on the choice 

1 hour ago, ID AX said:

I towed our tige 23v, axis A22 and 23lsv with a '10 Titan CC with the big rear end.  It was meh at best.  Did it pull? Yes, but we have numerous mountains and steep ramps.  I finally got tired of HAVING to use 4wd to get up the ramp and running 5000rpm @25mph to get over our mountains.  The 6mpg while towing wasnt fun either.  Especially with a tiny azz fuel tank. Watch the Titans they have two different rear ends.  If you are familiar with Titans or have been on the titan forums, you already know.  Lots of people don't though.  

If the 6.0 has already been "fixed" then it's a no brainer to me.  We have a work van with the 6.0 and had to do all the work to it.  Been running great ever since.  Good luck on the choice 

Thanks man, I love the titan and feel like that would be all I need power wise, but i would still be skeptical in some situations with it. I have always wanted a diesel, and I know it will be able to do anything that I want and I would be able to go to any ramp without any worries  of getting up. At the same time comes with the problems that could come up of owning one especially since it would sit alot in the winter and i would do some city driving wit it.

2 hours ago, Campbell24 said:

Have all your boating guests sit in the back of the truck while going up the ramp.  That's a trick we use during low tide.  The people behind you at the ramp will do it too, to help speed things up.

16 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Have all your boating guests sit in the back of the truck while going up the ramp.  That's a trick we use during low tide.  The people behind you at the ramp will do it too, to help speed things up.

I have tried that, has worked a few times and a few times it hasn't. Really annoying when its just the wife n I.