Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I own 2 trailers and 1 boat. Which trailer should I keep?

CharlieBeaU

My 2010 23 LSV was destroyed in a marina fire here in Portland a little less than a year ago. The 2010 Boatmate trailer was not in the marina warehouse at the time of the fire so I still have it. I purchased a 2014 23 LSV from a Crew member this past April and, of course, that came with a trailer but it is an Eagle trailer instead of a Boatmate.

In looking at the 2 trailers both seem well built but the Boatmate seems to have some nicer features over all. This has got me thinking that if my 2014 23 LSV will fit on the 2010 Boatmate I might keep that one and sell the Eagle. Both trailers are in excellent condition and the Boatmate almost certainly has fewer "miles" on it since the first owner didn't trailer the boat at all. I called Boatmate about this and they basically said they couldn't confirm whether or not it would work because they make each trailer specifically for each model/year.

I wanted to get the Crew's feedback on this and see if anyone knew one way or another if my 2014 23 LSV would fit correctly on the 2010 23 LSV Boatmate trailer without me having to pull everything down to the ramp and moving the boat back and forth. Also, is it even worth doing this "swap" or should I just sell the Boatmate and be done with it?

ahopkins22LSV

The 2014 and 2010 LSV's are different hulls, but I don't know how much that would effect the trailer. Best option would be to get them side by side with the boat off and take measurements. If they come out the same for dang near, then the boatmate will probably work.

If you have a local dealer near by they should have a hoist that can make the swap. Either way you are going to have to trailer both to one spot to make the swap.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The 2014 and 2010 LSV's are different hulls, but I don't know how much that would effect the trailer. Best option would be to get them side by side with the boat off and take measurements. If they come out the same for dang near, then the boatmate will probably work.

If you have a local dealer near by they should have a hoist that can make the swap. Either way you are going to have to trailer both to one spot to make the swap.

Thanks, man. I was hoping someone might know off hand but I knew that was a long shot.

Any opinions on eagle vs. boatmate trailers?

Admittedly, my trailer knowledge is more with sterndrives, than V-drives, but it should carry over.  I would say Boatmate is more top of the line, similar or above a Prestige.  Eagle isn't as nice.  

To me, the better trailer would have LED lights, brakes (disc or electric) on both axles.  Possibly heavier axles.  Nicer wheels, etc.  Which one fits that bill?

• Like 1

We mix years, models & even brands at the dealership all the time. There may be some small adjustments to be done, ie; position of the bow roller or bunks, but I doubt there would be anything keeping you from using either trailer. The first time you put the new boat on the old trailer, float it on slowly & pay attention to things like if the sides of the boat touch the fenders, does the prop have plenty of clearance (same diameter prop?), or does the bow roller hit the right place? Maybe even pull the speedo paddlewheel & make sure that it's not sitting on a bunk.

I'd keep the one with more options. 

BTW, we also load shorter boats on longer trailers too. Just mark the position of the back of the trailer on the dock. Then float the boat up on the trailer by hand slow & easy. I've never seen a prop/rudder hit. Occasionally we'll have a problem with a wider boat hitting the fenders on a narrower trailer. Even that can be fixed by using double thick bunks.

• Like 1

While I agree that Boatmate has better features and nicer in my opinion I would be careful if your looking to sell that boat/trailer anytime soon as I would certainly pay less for a boat on 4 year older trailer.  May not matter to some that tow little but we tow a lot of miles so it would be a question mark to me.  Just my $.02

Just now, wedge88 said:

While I agree that Boatmate has better features and nicer in my opinion I would be careful if your looking to sell that boat/trailer anytime soon as I would certainly pay less for a boat on 4 year older trailer.  May not matter to some that tow little but we tow a lot of miles so it would be a question mark to me.  Just my $.02

I hear you in the abstract, but those eagle trailers were meh/low budget options when brand new and they don't get better with age. 

Aside from having sorta dope (for 15's) alloy wheels, @CharlieBeaU's trailer is pure entry level.  

Shoot I'd favor the boatmate just on the basis of a standard UFP coupler instead of that goofy coupler that eagle uses.

The only reasons I could see to favor the eagle would be if the boatmate needs any work, or if the boatmate only has single axle brakes.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, bretcole said:

Shawndoggy you do realize that CharlieBeau is the guy that bought your 23 lsv from you in March?

I think that is how he knows what trailer and wheels he has lol.

I bet most buyers wouldn't even notice the trailer was 4 years older then the bot. I wouldn't be concerned at all about that. And as Shawn said, most educated buyers will probably prefer the boatmate. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Good observation. The Boatmate has a number of nicer features so I'm guessing/hoping it would be a wash at worst.

8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I hear you in the abstract, but those eagle trailers were meh/low budget options when brand new and they don't get better with age. 

Aside from having sorta dope (for 15's) alloy wheels, @CharlieBeaU's trailer is pure entry level.  

Shoot I'd favor the boatmate just on the basis of a standard UFP coupler instead of that goofy coupler that eagle uses.

The only reasons I could see to favor the eagle would be if the boatmate needs any work, or if the boatmate only has single axle brakes.  

I feel like you and I have had this conversation before but when/where...

7 hours ago, bretcole said:

Shawndoggy you do realize that CharlieBeau is the guy that bought your 23 lsv from you in March?

Oh, yeah. That was it!

• Like 1

Here is the best pic of the Eagle trailer I have right now with the boat on it

1113161531a.jpg

Here are a few I just took of the Boatmate. It's missing a couple bunks because I'm putting new carpet on them that I purchased from Boatmate. Also, if I keep this one I'll be removing the orange pin striping.

1219161513.jpg

1219161513a.jpg1219161514a_HDR.jpg

17 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I'd swap the wheels.

the pinstriping.... agree that definitely has to go.

I was actually thinking I could keep the Pin Striping and replace all the bunk carpet with shag carpet. The would bring the sexy back to to this trailer.

• Like 3
Just now, CharlieBeaU said:

I was actually thinking I could keep the Pin Striping and replace all the bunk carpet with shag carpet. The would bring the sexy back to to this trailer.

Or trade in your tow vehicle for a bitchen van that matches the pinstripes!

07a40caa77e84adb3f2187c8bbf177e1.jpg

• Like 2

If it fits, swap the wheels and keep the pin stripe.

I would love to have a boat mate on our vtx, it is so much nicer trailer than the performance trailer it sits on. Our Lxi is on a boat mate and all the nice little features really stand out.

• Like 1

I just wanted to see the boat...LOL. I was the first owner@CharlieBeaU

I have very fond memories of that boat.  She's beautiful.  I'm glad she is well taken care of. :)

Can I see more pictures of her? :)

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 2