Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

one ton

racer808

19 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Interesting.  I don't think I have ever seen the 5.7 in a 3500.  I think that would be a very tough sell.

Pretty sure they have been putting that motor in them for over 10 years.. I bet there are a ton of them on the road you just don't notice it.

FWIW - I am with @RyanB, I have had a few friends install the fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter and have blown out windows up in the nose of the fifth wheel. Not a huge fan of them. I personally have the B and W companion hitch and LOVE it. Loosen a few quick bolts, pull the pin and lift the hitch out. Flat bed, no rails, nothing. I have one of the first versions and the newer ones install and remove much easier. I've been a HUGE fan of it, it is also way quieter than some of my friends standard hitches. 

My F250 is a crew cab short box. I do not have a slider and "knock on wood" have never come across a time where I HAD to have it. My current fifth wheel is a 2014 so it has the nose corners clipped like most of the newer campers to help clear the cab. 

12 hours ago, Falko said:

The Duramax is also a good choice but some say it feels weak, but reliability wise it is good.

My bone-stock duramax/allison combo can pull my loaded 14K dump trailer with a truck bed full of heavy crap up the passes at 70MPH all day long; I set the cruise on 70 mph going up passes with my 36' 10k+ travel trailer and it rarely even downshifts.  Last summer when it was a hundred degrees out I took a picture of my transmission temp at the top of one pass and sent it to my buddy to rub it in because it didn't break 150 degrees and his gasser transmission broke 240 degrees (way too hot) going 45 mph up the same hill a few hours earlier.  

If you chip a duramax you can add enough power to it to basically just tear the rest of the truck apart of that's what you want.  You can make over 500 HP/1000 foot-pounds of torque pretty easily with a few basic mods.  

I just can't say enough about how smooth, powerful and awesome the duramax/allison combos is.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2

Love my '16 Duramax.  I drove all the oil burners before I bought mine and what sold me on the GM was how well the transmission and engine work together.  The Powerstroke was nice, but the transmission was a step behind (though the F250 was still a great truck).  The Cummins felt underpowered compared to both, again transmission and I don't believe the engine is quite on par HP wise.  The interior on the Ram was nice though.  Honestly all good trucks, I just liked the overall package and the powertrain better on the GM product.

I haven't chipped mine yet as stock is plenty and the warranty at this point is worth more than some more power.  

Edited by tjklein
3 hours ago, RyanB said:
Just now, tjklein said:

Love my '16 Duramax.  I drove all the oil burners before I bought mine and what sold me on the GM was how well the transmission and engine work together.  The Powerstroke was nice, but the transmission was a step behind.  The Cummins felt underpowered compared to both, again transmission and I don't believe the engine is quite on par HP wise.  

I haven't chipped mine yet as stock is plenty and the warranty at this point is worth more than some more power.  

Love my 16 as well.  Ran a 13.7 in the qt mile on Friday then pulled my 10k lb trailer over the pass the next day :)

12 hours ago, RyanB said:

Very few gas 3500's are out there.

I've got one of the rare gas burning Ram 3500's, but I bought mine 21 years ago.  It's got the 8.0l V10 and a stick shift.  Thought about the Cummins diesel when I was ordering, couldn't justify the upfront cost.

Edited by MadMan
1 hour ago, MadMan said:

I've got one of the rare gas burning Ram 3500's, but I bought mine 21 years ago.  It's got the 8.0l V10 and a stick shift.  Thought about the Cummins diesel when I was ordering, couldn't justify the upfront cost.

So that would be a 1995? Your V10 has about the same torque as that vintage diesels, and more HP.  Keeping it for 21 years, you seem to have gotten your money's worth.:clap:

24 minutes ago, RyanB said:

So that would be a 1995? Your V10 has about the same torque as that vintage diesels, and more HP.  Keeping it for 21 years, you seem to have gotten your money's worth.:clap:

Yep, it's a '95.  It's got 135k miles, 99% are towing.  By the way, it was $20k out the door.  It's a roll up your own window, move your own seat, no frills kind of truck.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, RyanB said:

Not sure what you are asking?  Differences in the 2500 vs 3500 is mostly suspension.  2500 has rear coil.  3500 offers an air suspension option.

2500 offers the G56 manual transmission as well as the 68RFE.  No HO Cummins available.

3500 offer the above transmissions, plus the HO Cummins engine with Aisin transmission.

So it's considered HO with the Aisin? 

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, ndahlberg12 said:

FWIW - I am with @RyanB, I have had a few friends install the fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter and have blown out windows up in the nose of the fifth wheel. Not a huge fan of them. I personally have the B and W companion hitch and LOVE it. Loosen a few quick bolts, pull the pin and lift the hitch out. Flat bed, no rails, nothing. I have one of the first versions and the newer ones install and remove much easier. I've been a HUGE fan of it, it is also way quieter than some of my friends standard hitches. 

My F250 is a crew cab short box. I do not have a slider and "knock on wood" have never come across a time where I HAD to have it. My current fifth wheel is a 2014 so it has the nose corners clipped like most of the newer campers to help clear the cab. 

Adding the adapter changes the leverage on the fifth wheel of the camper, I also use the companion and recommend it. Also with a short bed you can move it farther away from cab to give more clearance between cab and trailer. With most new model fifth wheels the Dodge Mega cab is the only one you should need a "slider hitch" with.

I run a B&W companion non slider (Ram prep kit) in a 2016 Ram 3500 short box and they are by far the best hitch IMHO. Built out of 1/4" plate and full circumference locking jaws.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/puck-mounted-attachment/companion-oem-5th-wheel-hitch-fits-ram-puck-system

I run my hitch 4" behind the axle centerline with no issues and it gives enough clearance to turn 90 degrees. If you search google there is alot of opinions on whether running your hitch behind the centerline is an issue.  My experience has been no issues and scaled the truck and it offloaded 100lbs off the front axle ( really nothing...error in the scale etc.). I am putting airbags in the spring to level the truck (1" of droop at the rear axle).

I sold a 2008 Chev 3500 Crew Cab Dually and bought this short box... I pull a 15000 lb, 42 ft fifth wheel that is 11.5 tall (big sail). In normal towing no loss in stability.  I can't give it as hard in cross winds but drop 5-10 mph and then no issues, small trade for easy driving around town.

heading%20to%20Mabel_zpskqf8mjyc.jpg

6 hours ago, MLBurns said:

With most new model fifth wheels the Dodge Mega cab is the only one you should need a "slider hitch" with.

The RAM MegaCab has the same 6'4" short bed that the rest of the 2500/3500 RAM pickups have.

The B&W Companion has a cult like following.  I am sure it has some advantages - made in the USA, very heavy duty, etc.  Long story, but I borrowed a truck this spring to move my 5er.  He had a Companion.  It was a very nice hitch, and much heavier than the Reese Elite I use that is rated for the same weight.  I still like my Reese.

Thinking about maybe checking out this place in TX, they got some good prices on trucks.  I assume they are all fleet work vehicles.  Anything to watch out for on these vehicles?  

http://www.texasdieselstore.com/2006-GMC-Sierra-2500HD-SLT-Killeen-TX/6004276

Edited by racer808
13 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

2015 is 6600# with factory tow package, IIRC.  2017 is 7700# with factory tow package.  

Hmm a 17 would pull my boat... been trying to get the wife into a new ride that will pull our boat but she does not want a full size SUV.. 

16 minutes ago, r33pwrd said:

Hmm a 17 would pull my boat... been trying to get the wife into a new ride that will pull our boat but she does not want a full size SUV.. 

Look at older VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne. They are rated at 7700 lbs all the way back to 2009 or sooner...??? They are on a slightly different chassis than the Q7, hence the higher tow rating. My wife's 2010 TDI Touareg is rated at 7700 and pulled our 2007 23LSV easily. My only suggestion, make sure you get the air suspension on them. Her Touareg doesn't and it squatted pretty bad, but pulled it easily. 

Edited by gorilla
29 minutes ago, r33pwrd said:

How much do you need?  If you need 7K or more, I am not aware of anything short of a full sized SUV that will tow 7k pounds.  Without looking up specific ratings, off the top of my head, you are looking at (if properly equipped) Touareg, Durango, Cayenne, Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban, Grand Cherokee, Armada, Escalade, Expedition, Land Cruiser, and I think one or more of the Range Rovers.  

6 hours ago, racer808 said:

Thinking about maybe checking out this place in TX, they got some good prices on trucks.  I assume they are all fleet work vehicles.  Anything to watch out for on these vehicles?  

http://www.texasdieselstore.com/2006-GMC-Sierra-2500HD-SLT-Killeen-TX/6004276

This time of year with a red tag/year end sale if you look hard you can find loaded 2016 chevy crewcab Duramax LTZ's for around around 50-52k with zero percent or near zero percent financing, and less loaded trucks for even less with the factory money they are piling on to clear the way for the 17s.  I suspect there are similar deals on the Dodge if that's your brand. 

A few weeks ago I went in to buy a red tag loaded LTZ Silverado Duramax that was $14k off sticker (around $52k), and ended up in a 2016 GMC Denali (Duramax) instead because they gave me a similar deal.  It does not make sense to me to buy a 10 year old truck with 160,000k on it for 22-25k with the new deals right unless you are paying cash and that is your budget.  The newer diesels are so awesome its ridiculous and they also hold their value so well you never take a bath on a new one, in contrast to, for example, a new SUV.    

Edited by jjackkrash