Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Buddy II bow hook from BoatMate. Opinions plz

bsacc

Do you guys use the Boat Buddy bow hook from BoatMate?  I hate when my boat slides back on the trailer leaving the launch.  My buddy has one on his MC and he loves it.  Seems like I'm always fighting to get all the way up on the trailer and when I do, it never fails, the strap can't hold and the boat slides back 2-4 inches sometimes.  I've owned boats for about 15 years and I've never had this hard of a time loading up so I was considering the boat buddy.

How steep is your ramp? Sometimes the change in angle an couse the boat to go further back. We have one ramp where it's nearly impossible to get it all the way forward after pulling out. Before adding the boat buddy,  pulling out a few feet and cranking it some more. 

I would like to hear some reviews of this boat buddy system. 

I had one on my MC trailer & loved it. Made pulling the boat out in busy launch situations really quick & easy.

The trick is knowing that their purpose is ONLY for pulling the boat out & it needs to be unlatched in the wipe down area before you go driving down the road. If you leave them latched the movement of the boat will bend the pin & it won't work right anymore.

I concur with Bill...had one on my old MC, worked great.    Was looking at a new MC over the weekend and they've changed the boat buddy a bit since I had mine.   I'd not hesitate one bit to get another one if I trailered he boat often

I put a ramp n clamp on mine briefly but you would have to powerload the crap out of the boat to make it work or have the trailer in way too deep at my launch.  Bunk alignment would have been a nightmare in a float on, pull out situation

I had a bent boat buddy. Never worked right. Got a ramp n clamp and it works great! Though I would concur with @oldjeep, it is for powerloading. If you powerload now it should work well. WAY better than the boat buddy.

1 hour ago, Falko said:

I use a tight safety chain. Pull it in with the strap, hook it with the chain, she isn't going anywhere.

Your missing the point of the Boat Buddy. It's not to secure the boat to the trailer while your under way, only while your pulling the boat out of the lake. Allows the drivers to not need to get out of their seat during the pickup process. The chain is definitely more secure, but not as convenient.

• Like 1

Oh, I was more addressing the OP's concern about the boat backing off when pulling out. The chain could be an alternative to the BB for that purpose. But I would agree, unless you are really good at training a chain, it will not work for the same intended purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 10:45 PM, Cole2001 said:

How steep is your ramp? Sometimes the change in angle an couse the boat to go further back. We have one ramp where it's nearly impossible to get it all the way forward after pulling out. Before adding the boat buddy,  pulling out a few feet and cranking it some more. 

I would like to hear some reviews of this boat buddy system. 

One of the ramps I use is pretty steep but I have issues with the boat sliding back at other locations too.

On 12/19/2016 at 8:09 AM, barefootpaul said:

I had a bent boat buddy. Never worked right. Got a ramp n clamp and it works great! Though I would concur with @oldjeep, it is for powerloading. If you powerload now it should work well. WAY better than the boat buddy.

I'll have to research the ramp n clamp, not familiar with it.