Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain plug LED light.

NMG1973

Soooo,  really considering the 9,000 lumens drain plug light. Does anyone know if Malibu runs a wire to the back of the boat to plug into for this option? I have a 2016 LSV and the underwater light option wasn't selected, but I thought there might be a chance that they ran some wires back there anyways. 

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, LS1boarder said:

Soooo,  really considering the 9,000 lumens drain plug light. Does anyone know if Malibu runs a wire to the back of the boat to plug into for this option? I have a 2016 LSV and the underwater light option wasn't selected, but I thought there might be a chance that they ran some wires back there anyways. 

It should be there. If it isn't, it is an easy wire to run. 

I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about the wedge blocking/interfering with the light. Anyone? Would suck to instal just to have a big dark rectangle in the center of the wake where the light is getting blocked.

I could never figure out how to post pics on here . Send me your email . Only the 900 lumens will fit with the power wedge . If u have a Manuel u can run the 8000 lumens 

16 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

Would suck to instal just to have a big dark rectangle in the center of the wake where the light is getting blocked.

Would suck worst to not have the wedge able to lock due to hitting the drain plug light. 

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, speedline said:

I could never figure out how to attach pics on here . Send me your emails I can send u pics 

Upload the pictures to Photobucket then copy and paste the direct code if using a cell phone or the img code in using a computer. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MLA said:

Would suck worst to not have the wedge able to lock due to hitting the drain plug light. 

I mean ya, but thats why you use the measurements they supply online and measure on your boat BEFORE you buy. 

Actually had a locking pin come loose and fall out. wedge wouldnt lock up. Made for a long ride back to the dock.

• 1 month later...

The people that have already installed this light, where did you run the wire at (hull wise) when you hooked into the open switch on the dash? I'm trying to get mine done, but a little lost on where to feed the wire......... 

Just finished mine up.....I found the factory harness for under seat lighting  (didn't get that option ) and tied into it. The switch panel is sealed and only has one connector running to it so I'm sure the boat is pre-wired for everything, but that was the closest and easiest to get to. 

• Like 1

I was thinking I would put one of these on my '17 22 VLX, but it doesnt LOOK to me like it would fit behind the wedge.   Ill have to measure to be sure, but it is already kind of a pain to pull the current drain plug.   I suspect I am going to have to drill a hole and mount lights on the transom if I am going to do it.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:04 PM, JeffC said:

I was thinking I would put one of these on my '17 22 VLX, but it doesnt LOOK to me like it would fit behind the wedge.   Ill have to measure to be sure, but it is already kind of a pain to pull the current drain plug.   I suspect I am going to have to drill a hole and mount lights on the transom if I am going to do it.

My rear drain on my axis is useless after pulling center plug at end of day, the residual water never ever comes out of that hole even going up or stopping on our levee road, haven't taken it out in 1+ years now, so install light and never take it out except for winterization clean up, and that only works with dealer tractor or fork lift lifting up tongue 

Edited by granddaddy55
42 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

My rear drain on my axis is useless after pulling center plug at end of day, the residual water never ever comes out of that hole even going up or stopping on our levee road, haven't taken it out in 1+ years now, so install light and never take it out except for winterization clean up, and that only works with dealer tractor or fork lift lifting up tongue 

Unfortunately, in Colorado we have inspections for invasive species every time we launch or recover, and both drain plugs must be out.   Even if I could leave it in (they do have a model that drains through the mount), I dont think it would fit.   I will have to get some precise measurements to be sure.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 6:37 AM, JeffC said:

Unfortunately, in Colorado we have inspections for invasive species every time we launch or recover, and both drain plugs must be out.   Even if I could leave it in (they do have a model that drains through the mount), I dont think it would fit.   I will have to get some precise measurements to be sure.

I have one of the drain plug LEDs & two of the 6 LED OEM fixtures. The drain plug light removes as easily as the drain plug itself. Then I just let it hang by it's own wire. It's about 2 yrs old now & hasn't been a problem. The people at the check stations have never said it was a problem.

It is about the same brightness as the stock lights, maybe a little bit less.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
On 6/22/2017 at 4:55 PM, AJwakedevil said:

dood... nice work. Cost?

~$35  I had the epoxy from my surfboard building and repairs.  Hydrant cap was $15, LED chip was $10, stepup transformer was $5, plus wire...

I bought and installed one of these on my A20 (https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Brightness-Underwater-Viewing-Swimming/dp/B00Q4APM30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498624566&sr=8-2&keywords=boat+plug+led).  Worked great!  I wired it through the ACC switch as many have mentioned.

35195070430_6bdae28fc9_k.jpgTMC uploads by M Vasquez, on Flickr

35195069690_5699991806_k.jpgTMC uploads by M Vasquez, on Flickr

35451807521_1016e27b4c_k.jpgTMC uploads by M Vasquez, on Flickr

35451808211_5e5d026892_k.jpgTMC uploads by M Vasquez, on Flickr

Edited by mikeakatex5