Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain plug LED light.

NMG1973

Has anyone used the drain plug LED lights? It looks as if the bar from the wedge would get in the way or possibly hit it? I did a search, but most people were discussing them on the Malibu's. I would like to do some LED's but I would rather not drill into the transom........

No I have the black one as I bought it last year. I went with red to match the boat and although I was warned the light output for that color is the lowest I'm still satisfied with it. I easily had a semicircle of light 15-20ft off the back of the boat.  I'd do it again on my next boat, hard to beat for the price.

From what I have read most people are using one of the open switches in the dash panel. They sell a controller also for like $12......I wonder since having LED's is a factory option if the boat is possibly already wired where you could splice in towards the back.

29 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

In my friends Axis he ran his underwater lights to one of the open ACC switches on his dash. The switch already had power.

This is what I did as well. All the switches have power. 

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this one? https://boatpluglight.myshopify.com/collections/drain-plug-led-lights/products/the-vega-prd-133-watts-at-8000-lumens  I am not opposed to drilling into the boat but some of these drain plug options are brighter.  I need to check some measurements to make sure this doesn't hang below the hull but curious if anyone is using these larger ones with success.  I do not have FAE and floating wedge so that shouldn't be an issue.  You can drive yourself crazy with all the options out there.

Nice!  I had the floating wedge on my Axis as well as a FAE and had no issues with the one I installed.  Once my new boat arrives I'm going to see if I can fit one on it as well.

These seem like awesome lights for the money but I think I would want to mount one on each side rather than in the drain plug. May have to buy some and engineer an alternate mounting situation as I like being able to easily pull the plug after each use. 

On 1/20/2017 at 9:51 PM, robbennett said:

These seem like awesome lights for the money but I think I would want to mount one on each side rather than in the drain plug. May have to buy some and engineer an alternate mounting situation as I like being able to easily pull the plug after each use. 

I agree on the one center light but for the money, I figure why not.  The other thing I like is they make the same light in a mountable kit so I could potentially have 3 of these out the back.  I have read too many posts where people were expecting one thing and the light output was minimal so I would rather find that out with a drain light.  I am going to order this one and I'll post my review.  I should be able to just tap into one of my open ACC switches to power this thing, shouldn't I???

On 1/20/2017 at 10:51 PM, robbennett said:

I would want to mount one on each side rather than in the drain plug. May have to buy some and engineer an alternate mounting situation

Why not just go with a pair of surface mount underwater LEDs? No fabricating to make a drain plug light fixed to the hull. Quite a few solid light with varying degrees of output and price range. Either way, i prefer the saturation of two lights over a single center mounted 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Why not just go with a pair of surface mount underwater LEDs? No fabricating to make a drain plug light fixed to the hull. Quite a few solid light with varying degrees of output and price range. Either way, i prefer the saturation of two lights over a single center mounted 

Mainly because others are either way more expensive or less lumens. I'll probably try one first in the drain plug. 

6 hours ago, wedge88 said:

I agree on the one center light but for the money, I figure why not.  The other thing I like is they make the same light in a mountable kit so I could potentially have 3 of these out the back.  I have read too many posts where people were expecting one thing and the light output was minimal so I would rather find that out with a drain light.  I am going to order this one and I'll post my review.  I should be able to just tap into one of my open ACC switches to power this thing, shouldn't I???

Yeah definitely use one of the acc switches if you have one open. Usually there is already power at the switch. 

30 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

How so? Lumen is a measurement of light output. 

Correct, lumens is indeed a measurement of light. So is horse power. The difference is, there is no standard or governing body to regulate how and with what machine, each LED maker comes up with their lumen output. Whats to say they dont just come up with a number that looks good? Plenty of specs out there are stretched or out right fabricated. This is why you cant use it to compare one to another.  

• Like 1
On 1/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, MLA said:

Correct, lumens is indeed a measurement of light. So is horse power. The difference is, there is no standard or governing body to regulate how and with what machine, each LED maker comes up with their lumen output. Whats to say they dont just come up with a number that looks good? Plenty of specs out there are stretched or out right fabricated. This is why you cant use it to compare one to another.  

We are fighting this in the electrical trade.  I find the cheaper the LED the more likely the lumen output is bogus.  It's not exclusively the cheap LEDs though.  

I have yet to meet someone who can look at a LED lamp and say what the lumen output is without a meter.  Most people can't tell the difference unless a side by side comparison is done with a known lumen lamp.  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Pics would be great if you have any. I am going to be wiring ours up soon......we just picked up the boat yesterday.

11 hours ago, speedline said:

Boat plug light work really good ! I have the 900 lumens on my Malibu amd works well .

pic on trailer too? Especially if you have the wedge