Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Arg! I've been prop'd wrong

tgaugh

817 13.5x17.5, .150 cup, 1-1/8 bore, LH only

check the recommend HH props, cup specific

Factory:

537 13.5x16, .105 cup, 1-1/8" bore, LH only

381 13.5x17.5, .105 cup, 1-1/8" bore, LH only

Edited by tgaugh

I'm just posting because I really like Edwins new avatar :) Sorry Todd & Heidi, I hope your prop issue is resolved I'm bettin' Joe comes through for you especially after pulling two boats from him.

We missed you guys this year at the WOW. Guessing you guys had a great time at the Texas grand daddy!!!!

Edited by Henken

You aren't kidding...

does anyone else think this is suspect seeing how ACME explicitly states DO NOT USE THE 817 WITH A HAMMERHEAD 383 400HP ENGINE? In my line of business, vendor recommendations must be considered if you are dependent on their gear/component/equipment/etc.

Well, having driven your boat, as well as my boat with both the 381 & 537 at different elevations, I can honestly say that the 817 is the wrong prop for the VLX/Hammerhead combo, under any condition. I can see putting the 381 on it if you only go out with 3 people, but any more than that & they should be putting the 537 on these boats from the factory.

OK! Here's the data that I have today. I am told that the best bet is to trust Malibu on this and not ACME. What I am learning is that Malibu runs there own test against their own thresholds for these boats with a given prop to get the most of the boat for all sports, wakeboarding, surfing, slalom, barefoot (I know barefoot, VLX right?) that being said, the correct prop is chosen for that boats performance. I am also told that it is not uncommon to get a VLX with a Hammerhead, with an 817. Although this conflicts with ACME, as well as our own performance expectations from this boat, this is business as usual.

I am also told that trusting Malibu, and the warranty, with the prop selected for that boat with the application that Malibu plans for that boat, is the only way to go. The caveat is that it may not be the right prop, or the best prop for how we may use it, it's the one we're getting based on Malibu's testing. So even though it may not meet our expectations, and it may not be the prop vendors recommendation, it's the correct prop for the boat.

Bottom line, unless our previous dealer exchanges the 817 for a 537 because they know that they have done it for a previous customer, and they know our application of the boat - we're getting a 537 back on and an 817 for a spare. If they come thru and can swap it, and I am sure they will do all they can, as they have assured me, we'll have a 537 on and a 537 spare. Regardless, the 537's getting installed as a primary.

EDIT: (sp?)

Edited by tgaugh

What's wacky about this is that my boat is exactly the same, yet it came from the factory with a 537. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe they accomodate for those that live & boat at higher elevations & prop it accordingly. But if they do that, you'd think that they'd prop the boat for how it was built to be used. Either way, I'm done with trying to figure it out, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to how or why they prop the boats the way they do. Dontknow.gif

What's wacky about this is that my boat is exactly the same, yet it came from the factory with a 537. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe they accomodate for those that live & boat at higher elevations & prop it accordingly. But if they do that, you'd think that they'd prop the boat for how it was built to be used. Either way, I'm done with trying to figure it out, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to how or why they prop the boats the way they do. Dontknow.gif

Our 247 came with a 381, yet the boat that was tested for WSM test used a 537 Crazy.gif Wonder what a 817 would do?

Maybe Malibu received a bunch of these 817's for a real "deal"... and are working through the inventory by putting them on the boats with more power... Most people wouldn't even notice

Why would Malibu have those props at all?

8.1's

I've only seen the 8.1 perform in a 247, and I don't think it should get anything bigger (cup'd) than a 381. If you can't make it up near the rev limiter, you've got too much prop Yes.gif

Before I forget - WSA understood my hassle here and knowing that I was shipping my old 537 from our 03 to ACME, they said bring it on down. I ended up not having to ship to ACME as planned. They just swapped my repairable for a 537 ready to go! WSA ROCKS!

We are propped correctly!

Joe's going down...

Before I forget - WSA understood my hassle here and knowing that I was shipping my old 537 from our 03 to ACME, they said bring it on down. I ended up not having to ship to ACME as planned. They just swapped my repairable for a 537 ready to go! WSA ROCKS!

Joe's going down...

Todd, that is going to feel like a whole new boat Yahoo.gif - glad you got it all figured out! All-n-all easy fix!

Joe's going down...

Sounds like they're not such a bad place after all. ;) Troy's right, it's going to feel much, much different.

8.1's

I've only seen the 8.1 perform in a 247, and I don't think it should get anything bigger (cup'd) than a 381. If you can't make it up near the rev limiter, you've got too much prop Yes.gif

Yeah, my 381 would only pull ~ 4600 RPM, the 537 pulls ~5100 RPM and got more bottom end. Wonder what the 817 would do?

BTW, my 05 LSV w/ HH383 came with a 537 as well. :)

Wonder what the 817 would do?

I know where you can find one Biggrin.gif

Might try it out..... I'll call ACME and schooled on it :) and then will let you know

Joe's going down...

I too, would like to toot WSAs horn...Tony sounds like he gave Todd prop101 and made this very much any easy swap. Which is good since I know Todd is relaly looking forward to kicking Joe's @$$ on the water. :)

So with all the prop threads I decided to investigate mine. I knew I had a 537 there and I have a backup from our 03, another 537. So I actually got down under the boat, not sure why I was doubting, and I was shocked! I don't have a 537, we have an 817!!!! Shocking.gif

After taling with ACME I have learned the prop we have is for the 8.1, which we do not have! ACME questioned why I put it on this boat/engine. I told them it came brand new like this and they were further suprised. ACME has awesome support, you can call and ask the dumbest questions, and they have all the answers. I recommend contacting them for anything you are not 100% on.

Anyway - we're going to be putting the 537 back on. I am guessing this prop was installed at the factory by mistake. Any lookers with an 8.1 in search of a perfect backup 817?

Same here Todd. I just realized today that I have been running an 817 all season. It too is the prop that came with the boat. That prop is a DOG with the VLX. I was wondering why it took so long to get up to speed fully loaded... Mad.gif Now, with the 537 on, it's like a new boat....sah-weeeeeet.