Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seadek vs Snap In Carpet

milehighbu

Unfortunately, the snap in carpet in my 2012 22 MXZ got damaged and is beyond repair.  I have been quoted $900 from bakesonline and more from my local dealer to have a replacement snap in carpet made.  Seadek has quoted me about $715 to put the SeaDek product on the floor to replace the carpet.  I am wondering what everybody's opinion is regarding which flooring option you would prefer.  The SeaDek product looks great as I have already put some of it on the top sides of the bow but I also like the look of the WakeSetter logo in the carpet.  The one thing about the carpet is the smooth flat surface.  The SeaDek option will still have uneven surfaces between the pieces in the floor.  Not sure if this is a tripping or stub your toe kind of issue or not. 

Which way would you guys steer me as the price for each option is within a couple hundred dollars of each other?  I would love to get the forum's thoughts.

20150604_172155.jpg?raw=1

Edited by milehighbu

Do you still have the snap in carpet you could use as a template?  Use the pattern to have replacement carpet made on your own.

My concern with SeaDek is how hot it can get.  And I think it would be a nightmare to get all the adhesive off when you want to change it at a future date.

SeaDek seems like the new thing. One thing you could do would be to go with seadeck and later on add the carpet on over top. If you did this you could have the option of both.

I know of a few manufacturers that come with both from the factory. 

ahopkins22LSV

If that $715 for SeaDek is with installation that is the route I would go! I really like the rubber flooring and everyone with snap out carpet seems to have issues sooner or later with the backing or it wearing away around the snaps.

That said, I don't know what the longevity of seadek is.

My dad sells non-malibu boats and his comment is that SeaDeck is a nice product, but that they are getting more issues with early fading than he expected, and that the fading can be uneven with uneven sun exposure.  I have not seen many fading complaints online, so just one data point to consider.  I would also think reasonable precautions would prevent premature fading.  

I have Gatorstep in my boat.  Similar product to Seadek.  Love the way it has held up this 1st year.  I have a 1 yr old Golden Retriever.  Even with his spirited running around no damage.  Cleans up easily.    Went with Gatorstep since they are located here in Oregon plus got a discount when I purchased the boat with the Gatorstep installed by the dealer.  

http://www.gatorstep.com/

I have a 2010 and added Seadek to the topsides of my boat right after I bought it.  It has held up well and does not seem to get hot even though it is black.  I do store the boat indoors but also have over 500 hours on the boat.  I believe the platform is also covered with Seadek so the should give you a sense of how it will wear over time.  I have glued carpet in my boat but wish I had the Seadek instead.  Would be nice if they made a pre-cut kit for the bow and top rails as well as the flooring.