Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 6.4

Falko

7 hours ago, Falko said:

Yeah I carried a 2000# pallet of bio bricks in it the other day, she was riding a bit low. Had to go 3 miles, did fine just really overloaded.

So, I've already replaced both hub bearings, shocks on all corners (probably didn't need it as much as wanted to soften the Z71 ride a bit), upgraded all of the rear suspension bushings to urethane, replaced both lower rear control arms, replaced the front sway bar bushings to urethane (all urethane bushing replacements are due to the slop in the old bushings, didn't do it for the practice), and one front upper ball joint. 

Now another ball joint is giving me noise as well as an outer tie rod. I tried to replace the ball joint and tie rod but the tie rod won't come out of the carrier to get to the lower ball joint. The carrier is rusted so bad it is almost unserviceable. 

When I bought the truck it was about a year ago. I looked it over on the lot and the underneath didn't look too bad. The frame and suspension all looked decent and had a rust proof coating on it that looked like it was  there for a while. Fast forward to post winter, I go under the truck and ALL the coating was pretty much gone. It was just a cheap under spray the dealer did to cover everything up, and they did a pretty good job of coating most things. But obviously on rusting metal the coating didn't stick and the real story comes out. So even though it was a low mileage truck (50k) it wasn't exactly cared for proper in terms of winter survival. So now many of the parts are to the point is isn't worth messing with them, just replace and move on. But I'm tired of replacing and want to move on.

Yikes.  I bought mine @ 68k, drove it 10.5 years.  Always parked outside, lots of salty driving.  Had the brake lines and fuel lines rot out (common issue in all GM trucks of that era).  Still on the original ball joints and bushings, though the bushings are due now.  I'd also recommend replacing all of the exhaust manifold bolts, assuming they haven't already rotted/broke.  Very common issue with those motors (half of them on my Escalade have been replaced too).  It's a cheap/easy DIY swap as long as they aren't broken already (or break coming out).  

The brake lines are in the back of my mind, as well as the transfer case wear through issue, as well as the rear differential issue, as well as the parking brake issue, as well as the....

I guess there are a lot of potential problems is you go looking for them. Ram is offering $11k off MSRP right now, which isn't a lot given they'd come down a bunch anyway. I was looking at an SLT and a Bighorn this past weekend. I'd still like a few more creature comforts, but the Laramie is harder to come by as a left over '16 right now without getting into the diesel. I might need to get back into a more fuel efficient vehicle come next year this time, so jumping to the 2500 might not be a great idea. I think I'll just rough it out this year with the Avy and maybe have a better idea of which direction I'll need to go for the future by spring.

thanks all for the ideas/responses

On 12/8/2016 at 10:59 AM, oldjeep said:

Why are you always so curmudgeonly?  :biggrin:

My experience with the Eco diesel is that it towed a 23' centurion juuuuust fine.  Good economy to boot.  I personally think it is a great option and wished the Titan had gone this way.

20 minutes ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

Why are you always so curmudgeonly?  :biggrin:

My experience with the Eco diesel is that it towed a 23' centurion juuuuust fine.  Good economy to boot.  I personally think it is a great option and wished the Titan had gone this way.

That is the general consensus of owners.  Tows "just fine" not really any better than the Hemi, just at a greater cost 

Whatever you do, do not buy an ecodeisel. I had a 2016 and loved it until i towed. The entire engine shut down on me 4 different times and left me on the side of the road. It was in the shop for 6 months of the 11 i owned it and they never said one thing was wrong. Finally the owner of the dealer got me some special discount on a 2500 and gave me 40k off so i got out of the eco. 

I thought this was a good video. It tests the 6.4 compared to the diesel when towing over a mountain pass. Granted they're towing a heavy load and it's a steep hill but it's gets real rough around 13 minutes in :(

Edited by jetskipro550
12 minutes ago, gdye422 said:

Whatever you do, do not buy an ecodeisel. I had a 2016 and loved it until i towed. The entire engine shut down on me 4 different times and left me on the side of the road. It was in the shop for 6 months of the 11 i owned it and they never said one thing was wrong. Finally the owner of the dealer got me some special discount on a 2500 and gave me 40k off so i got out of the eco. 

I should say so!  

4 hours ago, jetskipro550 said:

I thought this was a good video. It tests the 6.4 compared to the diesel when towing over a mountain pass. Granted they're towing a heavy load and it's a steep hill but it's gets real rough around 13 minutes in :(

Pretty sure they did some changes to the programming of the transmission since then.  

Yep.  By about a minute.  Over a 10 minute run.

And the Duramax would smoke them both (or a Cummins or a PS).

Lots of reasons to chose one truck over another.  I am not sure this one would be high on my list, and I tow that stretch of interstate multiple times per year.

Edited by RyanB

So in discussion with the wife last night, the direction has changed a bit to something a bit more fuel efficient. I don't really need it to tow the boat as the Armada is not going anywhere but looking for something decent sized with acceptable fuel mileage. I'll get a small utility trailer for truck duties. Not ideal but workable. 

Two vehicles that kept coming around is the Jeep GC Eco and the VW Touareg TDI. Obviously I'd have to find a VW used as the TDI was pulled from the market for the time being. My biggest question with these two, are they just two different flavors of ticking time bombs? I want reliable, and there are so many different stories out there for both, and they are good and bad. Build quality that inconsistent? Or poor maintenance and upkeep a problem?

10 minutes ago, Falko said:

So in discussion with the wife last night, the direction has changed a bit to something a bit more fuel efficient. I don't really need it to tow the boat as the Armada is not going anywhere but looking for something decent sized with acceptable fuel mileage. I'll get a small utility trailer for truck duties. Not ideal but workable. 

Two vehicles that kept coming around is the Jeep GC Eco and the VW Touareg TDI. Obviously I'd have to find a VW used as the TDI was pulled from the market for the time being. My biggest question with these two, are they just two different flavors of ticking time bombs? I want reliable, and there are so many different stories out there for both, and they are good and bad. Build quality that inconsistent? Or poor maintenance and upkeep a problem?

Well this is a big change from a 3/4 Ton pickup!

If you want a sporty, fuel efficient, reliable, basically maintenance free, "lady size," SUV go test drive an Acura RDX.  I am amazed every time I drive my wife's RDX at how quick it is.

If she wants 3rd row seats look at the MDX.

12 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

You gonna have to save tens of thousands of dollars in fuel costs before fuel efficiency makes economic sense.

Yup.  So the original thought was that the 2500 was for your wife to drive or you are keeping multiple cars/trucks insured for different purposes?  That is another one that never makes sense to me, car to commute truck to tow, pay for and insure them both.

No, I was going to get rid of my Avy and buy the 2500 for me to drive. She would continue to drive her car. I'm trying to stick with two cars. But if I will be buying something else for me, looking at the efficiency might make sense given the extra driving we will be doing next year. A 2500 rolling at 13mpg doesn't make sense if I can have a small diesel rolling at 28mpg. My wife's car would still serve as the tow vehicle, and for hauling I'll grab a $1000 trailer which costs $20 a year to register. Not comparing existing versus new, but new versus new.

I agree on the comments around fuel efficiency.  It is never cost effective to get rid of an otherwise good but used vehicle to buy a new vehicle based on fuel economy.  For me, by example, I would have to save 20k worth of fuel.  That doesn't even justify buying an ecodiesel.  For me, matters are even worse because as a tech, I can fix anything that goes wrong with my truck, making it even more stupid for me to buy a new truck....

Now if there are other reasons, by all means get the more fuel efficient vehicle.  I also feel that fuel efficiency is an excuse for people that really just want a new vehicle. :biggrin:

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Falko said:

So in discussion with the wife last night, the direction has changed a bit to something a bit more fuel efficient.

You mean wifey talked you out of a big bad truck.

They are so good at doing that.  Mine does it weekly.

1 hour ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

Now if there are other reasons, by all means get the more fuel efficient vehicle.  I also feel that fuel efficiency is an excuse for people that really just want a new vehicle. :biggrin:

No, I want a new vehicle because I am tired of fixing mine. but it isn't unreliable problems, it is just time consuming problems. So really, I could stick with the truck and get it where I want it, it hasn't stranded me or anything. 

The wifey discussion was more about our plans for next year. SHe doesn't really care what I drive, she has her car, and I have mine. If I make a move in the coming months, I don't want to be back in the same boat I am now with a vehicle that could have been a better decision. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Falko said:

I don't want to be back in the same boat I am now with a vehicle that could have been a better decision. 

serial monogomy!  You don't vow to keep a car till death do us part, just till I get sick of your ugly mug in my garage.

• Like 2