Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 6.4

Falko

Anyone have experience with this engine, 2500 specifically. It seems to have good torque and hp, but in a pretty heavy truck. I've read reports it tows well, and if you don't mind revving it, pulls like the cummins, supposedly. 

Love the avy but just found out she needs a lot of lovin in the front end. Would like to get some creature features as well...

I am on an RV forum where a guy did some tests pulling the same trailer with a 2014 6.4 and the same year CTD.  I was surprised at how close they were on acceleration.

There is a big difference in upfront cost (which historically has held for resale), as well as potential repair costs on the diesel, yet I think I still would choose it if I were in the market.  

And I agree with 85 Barefoot.  If I were only pulling my LSV, the EcoDiesel would be high on my radar.  My brother has a 14 GC EcoDiesel that he loves.  Gets 28 + MPG on the interstate at 80+ MPH.

• Like 2

There are some issues I've read about concerning the ecodiesel. Easily fixed to prevent disaster but not overly interested in tearing into that engine.

While I love the utility of the avy, I'm finding the payload is short of where I need it. Not so much on the towing side but the hauling is limited with a 1500 series truck. I've found some good deals on leftover 2500 Rams with the 6.4. Just poking around right now. I'll have to get the avy fixed as I'm not running out tomorrow but just thinking this truck is going to need more and more as it ages. 

Wow, the last paragraph is telling, "The law firm is also leading national charges against VW, Mercedes and GM for use of diesel emissions-cheating software." Mercedes and GM as well? wth....

6 minutes ago, Falko said:

Wow, the last paragraph is telling, "The law firm is also leading national charges against VW, Mercedes and GM for use of diesel emissions-cheating software." Mercedes and GM as well? wth....

Yep. Someone in CA, possibly associated with that law firm, got a hold of portable testing equipment and tested all the diesels they could find.  VW was the worst so maybe they went after them first.  They found lots of cheating.  BMW was a major exception in that it passed all the tests.  These findings and the fact that the EU, somehow, is just finding out that the diesels they have been in love with for 20 years are responsible for the air quality emergency in Paris may result in some change.

I've heard that the 6.4 tows well for a gasser because of the torque and heavy weight of that 3/4 ton. It sounds like you can get better towing fuel economy with a gm 6.0, but with less pulling power. I think both are a good option if you dont want to go to a diesel.

5 hours ago, Falko said:

While I love the utility of the avy, I'm finding the payload is short of where I need it. Not so much on the towing side but the hauling is limited with a 1500 series truck. I've found some good deals on leftover 2500 Rams with the 6.4. Just poking around right now. I'll have to get the avy fixed as I'm not running out tomorrow but just thinking this truck is going to need more and more as it ages. 

The Avalanches have a lower bed rating than the other trucks.  I can verify I had mine loaded at 2x its rating for a couple short trips (hauling river rock) with no issues whatsoever.

What is wrong with the front end on yours?  Mine had both hub bearings go, but luckily they are pretty cheap to replace (under $100 each for the full assembly).  I can verify it can be replaced in a Wendy's parking lot on a freeway in Virginia with tools bought (and returned) from Autozone...

Otherwise, mine has around 170k on it now (good friend bought it).  Rear shocks hold up fine, front shocks die early on the Z71's...I replaced mine @ 90k.  Otherwise, never had to touch the front end, though it is probably due for bushings at this point.

7 hours ago, RyanB said:

I am on an RV forum where a guy did some tests pulling the same trailer with a 2014 6.4 and the same year CTD.  I was surprised at how close they were on acceleration.

There is a big difference in upfront cost (which historically has held for resale), as well as potential repair costs on the diesel, yet I think I still would choose it if I were in the market.  

And I agree with 85 Barefoot.  If I were only pulling my LSV, the EcoDiesel would be high on my radar.  My brother has a 14 GC EcoDiesel that he loves.  Gets 28 + MPG on the interstate at 80+ MPH.

We have a 2014 ecodiesel GC Overland and it's been great.  Mated with the 8spd it's a fantastic powertrain.  Only towed the boat once with it but t did well.  We see about 26.5mpg on the interstate at 80mph, but that's in northern MN and the cold has an impact.  

No issues at all with it so far.  32k miles.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tjklein said:

We have a 2014 ecodiesel GC Overland and it's been great.  Mated with the 8spd it's a fantastic powertrain.  Only towed the boat once with it but t did well.  We see about 26.5mpg on the interstate at 80mph, but that's in northern MN and the cold has an impact.  

No issues at all with it so far.  32k miles.

We have the same GC overland ,  we are at 46k zero issues. 

5 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Anyone else drooling over the 2017 Power Wagon with the 6.4?  :drool:

2017-ram-power-wagon-photos-and-info-new

That grille is terrible.  Scrolling down to the old power wagon, love it.  The new one, the grille just ruins the entire truck.

17 hours ago, oldjeep said:

My guess is that this is just another case of lawyers trying to keep the "lawyer stereotype" alive and well.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Anyone else drooling over the 2017 Power Wagon with the 6.4?  :drool:

2017-ram-power-wagon-photos-and-info-new

Looked at one with the other paint job. Nice and all but would be paying for a lot of features I don't need. And with the tires, lift, lower gears, and added weight, they get even worse fuel mileage than the standard 2500 which is pretty poor it seems. I like the truck, but the mileage is the killer. I was hoping to hear some real world numbers on the new Titan XD with the 5.6 gasser. I really like the drive train in our Armada, the new 5.6 has another 80+hp, should be a decent ride. While not the most attractive truck out there, the interiors are pretty nice, and they are pretty cheap as well.

20 minutes ago, MadMan said:

My guess is that this is just another case of lawyers trying to keep the "lawyer stereotype" alive and well.

maybe, but from the article it sure sounds like the same sort of thing vw was doing.

11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

The Avalanches have a lower bed rating than the other trucks.  I can verify I had mine loaded at 2x its rating for a couple short trips (hauling river rock) with no issues whatsoever.

What is wrong with the front end on yours?  Mine had both hub bearings go, but luckily they are pretty cheap to replace (under $100 each for the full assembly).  I can verify it can be replaced in a Wendy's parking lot on a freeway in Virginia with tools bought (and returned) from Autozone...

Otherwise, mine has around 170k on it now (good friend bought it).  Rear shocks hold up fine, front shocks die early on the Z71's...I replaced mine @ 90k.  Otherwise, never had to touch the front end, though it is probably due for bushings at this point.

Yeah I carried a 2000# pallet of bio bricks in it the other day, she was riding a bit low. Had to go 3 miles, did fine just really overloaded.

So, I've already replaced both hub bearings, shocks on all corners (probably didn't need it as much as wanted to soften the Z71 ride a bit), upgraded all of the rear suspension bushings to urethane, replaced both lower rear control arms, replaced the front sway bar bushings to urethane (all urethane bushing replacements are due to the slop in the old bushings, didn't do it for the practice), and one front upper ball joint. 

Now another ball joint is giving me noise as well as an outer tie rod. I tried to replace the ball joint and tie rod but the tie rod won't come out of the carrier to get to the lower ball joint. The carrier is rusted so bad it is almost unserviceable. 

When I bought the truck it was about a year ago. I looked it over on the lot and the underneath didn't look too bad. The frame and suspension all looked decent and had a rust proof coating on it that looked like it was  there for a while. Fast forward to post winter, I go under the truck and ALL the coating was pretty much gone. It was just a cheap under spray the dealer did to cover everything up, and they did a pretty good job of coating most things. But obviously on rusting metal the coating didn't stick and the real story comes out. So even though it was a low mileage truck (50k) it wasn't exactly cared for proper in terms of winter survival. So now many of the parts are to the point is isn't worth messing with them, just replace and move on. But I'm tired of replacing and want to move on.

8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

maybe, but from the article it sure sounds like the same sort of thing vw was doing.

That wasn't an "article," I don't think.  Read to me like a very self serving press release.