Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV vs. Ri237

Hotsoup

6 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

10'?

I don't do 10'

*shakes head emphatically* 

We did a trip to a resort on the CO river a couple months back, I was super excited, water front cabin, marina bar/restaurant, was set for stellar weekend.    

We got the boat in the water, water fluctad 6-10' most of the time around 8'.  We couldn't get a decent wave, tried for a couple hours,  finally got a meh wave, with almost no push, I surfed maybe 10 minutes all weekend .  We arrived on Friday at noon, when we left Sunday i still had a 1/2 tank of gas!  It wasn't a total loss though , gas money turned into Bar Money...LOL

32 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

We did a trip to a resort on the CO river a couple months back, I was super excited, water front cabin, marina bar/restaurant, was set for stellar weekend.    

We got the boat in the water, water fluctad 6-10' most of the time around 8'.  We couldn't get a decent wave, tried for a couple hours,  finally got a meh wave, with almost no push, I surfed maybe 10 minutes all weekend .  We arrived on Friday at noon, when we left Sunday i still had a 1/2 tank of gas!  It wasn't a total loss though , gas money turned into Bar Money...LOL

We stay in 15'+ water for surfing. There's a shallower area of 8' to 10' water that if we stray into it the wave goes flat immediately.  Deeper is better.

17 hours ago, bamaboy said:

max 10 feet?  That is your problem right there

@ibelonginprisonjust passed a kidney stone when he read that BTW

Yes max 10... where I normally ride it is 10 - 15 ft "bridge run" average depth of river is 6 ft.... I have no issues with my boat and gsa at 8 - 10 ft... so boat to boat... "not apples to apples" I am able to produce a nice wave in 10 ft of water:

IMG_20160124_152956038_zpso0rltchh.jpg

Edited by kerpluxal
10 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

We stay in 15'+ water for surfing. There's a shallower area of 8' to 10' water that if we stray into it the wave goes flat immediately.  Deeper is better.

Not going to argue that deeper is better,,, I don't have a choice in my normal water and I get a consistent wave down to 8 ft... but above 15 ft... it is freaking awesome... constraints of living in the swamp land 

Just now, kerpluxal said:

Not going to argue that deeper is better,,, I don't have a choice in my normal water and I get a consistent wave down to 8 ft... but above 15 ft... it is freaking awesome... constraints of living in the swamp land 

Our water will be ice soon.  Very hard to get a good wave on ice!

• Like 1
Just now, minnmarker said:

Our water will be ice soon.  Very hard to get a good wave on ice!

LOL... well that is my benefit... I can ride all year long :cheers:... yours is deeper mine is year round

Just now, Cole2001 said:

I can't even imagine boating in less than 10 feet of water. We pull around the dock ten feet off shore and it's at least 30ft deep. 

hmmm... I put in at 3 ft of water... traverse through a ~2 ft pass to get to 4 - 15 ft of water... will drop to less than that if not in channel... and can't see down into the alligator infested murky water

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

In November, we were headed to Pirate Cove on the Colorado River, but opted out and went to Lake Mohave instead. We avoided the low depths of the river and had a great wave on the lake. Guess I'll pass up any river adventures in the future.

Edited by bbattiste247

We surfed a 2017 22MXZ and a 2016 23LSV in that same water at Pirates Cove with no issues and just factory ballast and pnp.  No tweaking, no additional ballast.  Just fill, go, surf and smile.  That venue was/is awesome!

54 minutes ago, NAW said:

We surfed a 2017 22MXZ and a 2016 23LSV in that same water at Pirates Cove with no issues and just factory ballast and pnp.  No tweaking, no additional ballast.  Just fill, go, surf and smile.  That venue was/is awesome!

was there a wave difference between the 2 boats? I have not had the pleasure of being on a new MXZ as of yet)....

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

alligators..??.holy crap..FTS.  do you have to wear Kevlar?

LOL... I have only seen 2... but many pictures from others... Not near as bad as the trinity... Upper San Jacinto... Alligators... Lower San Jancinto...Alligators Bull Sharks and brackish water... I would rather be with the gators than bull sharks and salt water ;)

1 hour ago, NAW said:

I would love to hear your comparison between the two boats!

• Like 2

I have a buddy that sells Supremes and he says the hull of the S238 and the RI237 are identical.  I surfed his with ~5k of ballast and it was pretty damn good but not as good as what people are raving about on here IMO.  Is he full of BS?  If not, why wouldn't people be saving 50k and going with a Supreme? 

006.JPG

5764636_20160404104536340_1_LARGE.jpg?t=

3 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

In November, we were headed to Pirate Cove on the Colorado River, but opted out and went to Lake Mohave instead. We avoided the low depths of the river and had a great wave on the lake. Guess I'll pass up any river adventures in the future.

Pirate cove is a great resort, very fun.  Just if surfing is your goal, not the ideal location.   For the wakeboard crowd, it would be spectacular.  That just isn't our thing.   You can get a wave, but it will not be like your deep water waves.  It all depends on how finicky you are.  I am very picky, like i said we did get a meh wave.   So we chose to cruise canyons instead.   

Same kid same boat...shallow river

20160924_072455_001_zpsxxixlmv5.jpg

Deep lake

20160707_073543_zpsbb0zbh5b.jpg

Enough on water depth, and resorts.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

I would love to hear your comparison between the two boats!

I don't think I'm a good enough wakesurfer to be able to explain the differences in terms that would make sense to most on here.  Sorry.

I fill ballast all the way, put the wedge in click #3, hop on the closest board, slaysh a little bit, do a transfer or two, pull a 360 out of my butt every once in a while and get back in the boat.  

For my level, both are more than enough.   

I guess if there's a specific characteristic you want me to compare and contrast, I can do my best.

@Hotsoup There are a couple surf fests every year they can have some good info.   The only one with data that i know of is the Utah one.   Southern Surf fest and wake9 have not published yet.   Here is a link to Ri237 and 25LSV results.   (They didn't have a 23LSV)  

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-SQZMBMGT/

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-23RVBMGT/

Take it for what its worth...

Just for fun here is whole thing. ...

http://www.utahwakeaddicts.com/boats-and-boards.html

Edited by DarkSide
3 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

LOL... I have only seen 2... but many pictures from others... Not near as bad as the trinity... Upper San Jacinto... Alligators... Lower San Jancinto...Alligators Bull Sharks and brackish water... I would rather be with the gators than bull sharks and salt water ;)

And snakes...F snakes.

Just now, 05hammerhead said:

And snakes...F snakes.

That is everywhere... and hate them too... more than gators... less than sharks..... gators hide from noise and go away... snakes bite regardless and especially when protecting nest (and yes they will bite you under water) sharks just tear you up :(

Just now, kerpluxal said:

That is everywhere... and hate them too... more than gators... less than sharks..... gators hide from noise and go away... snakes bite regardless and especially when protecting nest (and yes they will bite you under water) sharks just tear you up :(

You can keep your year round water.  Im not dealing with any of those things. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I have a buddy that sells Supremes and he says the hull of the S238 and the RI237 are identical.  I surfed his with ~5k of ballast and it was pretty damn good but not as good as what people are raving about on here IMO.  Is he full of BS?  If not, why wouldn't people be saving 50k and going with a Supreme? 

006.JPG

5764636_20160404104536340_1_LARGE.jpg?t=

Wow! This is interesting!