Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV vs. Ri237

Hotsoup

Family of 4.  Kids 10 and 13.  We all surf....not as much as I would like.  We currently have a regal 2300 surf.  Great family boat but it's a bit difficult for my wife to drive and wave is inconsistent.  Probably 30% surfing, 70% cruising/hanging out.  Expect us to all develop our surf game but don't need the "biggest" of waves.  Ride quality is important during cruising as we have friends on the lake a 1/2 hour away across open water. 

The other thing you need to do is demo demo demo both boats and spend time crawling all over both. Figure out what works best for your family. surfgate and wedge are very easy to master, there may be a bit of a learning curve to mastering the centurion systems. try them both on your lake with how you intend to use them and make the decision based on your needs. 

• Like 3

Your Malibu dealer in Dallas is Waterski America. If your interested in the LSV, come out this Saturday for their Customer Appreaciation party at the store. You can go over the new boats with many owners of that boat and see how that dealer treats their customers. It's very casual, good fun and lots of boats to check out.

• Like 3

Bama that is an excellent point, i dont know if anyone has tested cruise speed, RPM, etc.  I know i didn't.  If i had to cruise 1/2 regularly this would be an important test.  Here 15 minutes is a long cruise,  our lakes are small.  

One other side note, in the inboard world the swim platform is not included in the length,  with most I/O swim platform is part of the hull,  so is included in the length.  So inboards of equal length will be much roomier inside. 

2 hours ago, bamaboy said:

You know that Nautique makes the G23 right?  The king of all boats?  I heard it comes standard with unicorns and rainbows.

Ha, and the exhaust smells like a bouquet of roses !

Steve B.

• Like 2

Based on reviews (I haven't been behind either) and seeing what both look like, Ri would be my pick in your situation.  Deep-V hull should cruise better and will put out the better surf wave.  If I were buying a new boat (I would never buy new personally...I like others to take the depreciation hit for me), the Ri would easily be at the top of my list to look at and ride.

The RI seems to be a boat for the guys. It surfs great, but is not very comfortable or nice on the inside, but is just right for the hardcore surfer dude. If you and your family want to go out on the lake to surf, wakeboard, tube and just enjoy the water and the sites, then the 23 lsv is the boat for you. It is very comfy and has a good enough surf wave for you and the kids. I love our 2016 23 lsv, and I would never put down an extra 20G's to get an RI.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Bama that is an excellent point, i dont know if anyone has tested cruise speed, RPM, etc.  I know i didn't.  If i had to cruise 1/2 regularly this would be an important test.  Here 15 minutes is a long cruise,  our lakes are small.  

@DarkSide,,, I did not drive to Dallas to demo the RI... I did go demo the SkiSupreme... I don't know if it was the brackish.. practically salt water we were in or the max depth of 10ft.. no matter how much weight I threw at the boat (added 3200 in 800 intervals).. tried listing and non listing... could not replicate the pic you sent me (I know... 2 different boats... but it should be the same hull)... I blame water conditions... also.. I am very multi sport and did not like the wake board wake (however... I did not throw more weight at it and that could have possibly improved it)....But on the comment of cruise speed.. top speed in the SkiSupreme was 34 and cruise was at 26... depending on your prop choice the outcome would be different.. Sales person could not tell me which prop it had on it.. but it was a very aggressive prop.. would come out of hole on fire and push all that weight with no issues.. 

I know not a true comparison.. but as close as I could get...

BTW @Hotsoup... When I was quoted a price in Dallas it was $114,000.00 That was over phone and sure you can do better than that when it comes time to up the $$$.

2 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

. practically salt water we were in or the max depth of 10ft.. no matter how much weight I threw at the boat (added 3200 in 800 intervals)..\

max 10 feet?  That is your problem right there

@ibelonginprisonjust passed a kidney stone when he read that BTW

• Like 2

I appreciate the input and some very good feedback.  While the wave is important to me it's not the only the box to check.  This will be a family boat for my wife, children (their friends), and inlaws.   We love to surf but love to cruise and just chill on the boat.  It's during that chill time that I appreciate the craftsmanship of the boat and my sound system.  I'm on my second Regal and they are very nice manufactured boats, we don't want to take a step backwards.  I can get a bigger wave out of it but I would need to start placing bags every where and I'm sure everyone knows what a pain that is. I like details and refinement. From straight stitching on the vinyl to a non quirky display to ballast fittings that don't pop off....etc.  Resale is important to me, I've been on the lake 4 years and have already been through 3 boats and moving to a 4th.  My wife's hot buttons are storage/cooler storage/easy in and out/ride quality (not an easy sell coming from the regal forward drive.)  Another factor is exclusivity.  Lots of G's and bu's and MC's on the lake....haven't something a bit different might be welcome.

Another important factor for me is dealer service and reliability. My lake house is 1.5 hours from Dallas and I go crazy if I'm down for a weekend.  The boat needs to perform but if it doesn't the dealer needs to be responsive.

I've looked at the G23/G25 but geez they are freaking expensive but that fit/finish.  However, I just can't get myself to drop 150k on one and I've heard they are great for wake boarding but the surf wave ain't all that.  We don't like to wakeboard.  My wife and I have already had the crap beat out of us.....and my kids and have already phased thru it.

I've looked at the Supra's, I do like the look but know nothing about them except I've heard a few things about decent fuel efficiency.  

I've looked at the Mastercrafts, something I like about them but something I don't.....can't put my finger on it.

If there is something else out there I need to look at let me know.  My brief research has lead me to the Ri and the LSV.

5 minutes ago, Hotsoup said:

I've looked at the G23/G25 but geez they are freaking expensive but that fit/finish.  However, I just can't get myself to drop 150k on one and I've heard they are great for wake boarding but the surf wave ain't all that.  We don't like to wakeboard.  My wife and I have already had the crap beat out of us.....and my kids and have already phased thru it.

The G23 has a great stock surf wave, one I'd take over the current LSV sacked out, so don't discount that boat unless you just don't want to spend that amount of $. The G23's wave is shaped differently than Malibu waves, and is straighter without wrapping behind the rider as much, but again you'd have to demo to really know if you don't like it. The G will also ride better in rough water.

Fit and finish on it are like you said, but that's where your extra cost comes from.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Hotsoup said:

My wife's hot buttons are storage/cooler storage/easy in and out/ride quality (not an easy sell coming from the regal forward drive.)  Another factor is exclusivity.  

You are in a pickle!  Storage is very good on 23 LSV, the Ri Not so much, there is storage but not the same amount.    There is also not a cooler on the Ri237!    The BU also wins in the Bells/Whisles category, surfband is very cool, and having lights/siren to help time transfers is really nice when your first starting.  BU feels a touch nicer, but the RI is not bad.

As others have have said the Ri will have an an advantage in Ride and Wave.  It was these compromises that pushed me to Ri257.  Storage, in floor cooler, dry ride, no exposed bags while surfing.  It was the only way to avoid major compromise.  

Which ever you choose you will have an outstanding boat.  With Malibu going full Wetsounds and RI having the Roswell Downfire System, both will be plenty for 90% of the population.  

Demo both, just make sure you have deep enough water.  Try to demo both on same lake.  

We came from the Sterndrive world (Crownline).  Love our LSV for surfing, but really miss the Crownline for touring around.  That said, our use has changed.  We went from my wife slalom, me hydrofoil, nieces/nephews tubing, to EVERYONE in the family surfing.  Used to average around 65 hours/year on the motor to almost 280 in two years.  We just don't tour around anymore.

It would not surprise me if your use changed like ours.

Oh, and fit & finish of the Malibu is above all the sterndrives I have been in.  But you also pay for it.

9 hours ago, Hotsoup said:

I appreciate the input and some very good feedback.  While the wave is important to me it's not the only the box to check.  This will be a family boat for my wife, children (their friends), and inlaws.   We love to surf but love to cruise and just chill on the boat.  It's during that chill time that I appreciate the craftsmanship of the boat and my sound system.  I'm on my second Regal and they are very nice manufactured boats, we don't want to take a step backwards.  I can get a bigger wave out of it but I would need to start placing bags every where and I'm sure everyone knows what a pain that is. I like details and refinement. From straight stitching on the vinyl to a non quirky display to ballast fittings that don't pop off....etc.  Resale is important to me, I've been on the lake 4 years and have already been through 3 boats and moving to a 4th.  My wife's hot buttons are storage/cooler storage/easy in and out/ride quality (not an easy sell coming from the regal forward drive.)  Another factor is exclusivity.  Lots of G's and bu's and MC's on the lake....haven't something a bit different might be welcome.

Another important factor for me is dealer service and reliability. My lake house is 1.5 hours from Dallas and I go crazy if I'm down for a weekend.  The boat needs to perform but if it doesn't the dealer needs to be responsive.

I've looked at the Supra's, I do like the look but know nothing about them except I've heard a few things about decent fuel efficiency.  

I've looked at the Mastercrafts, something I like about them but something I don't.....can't put my finger on it.

If there is something else out there I need to look at let me know.  My brief research has lead me to the Ri and the LSV.

Both the Centurion and Malibu are a step up from a soundsystem and craftsmanship point of view.  You won't be disappointed in either.  On a rough day, have folks sit in the back they won't get pounded too bad.  It's the bow motion that gives that impression.  Malibu won't ride as well and Centurion and centurion won't ide as well as a regal.  Both are built better and blow sports performance out of the water.  You'll also find your resale will be significantly better with a Vdrive than an IO.  You can't go wrong.

Obviously not what youve asked, but Id search the used market.  Id be a great way to save tens of thousands of dollars and learn whats important to you.  A 4 year old surfgate boat will change the way you look at boating and will give you a ton more ammunition to have an opinion on things.  Not to mention youll lose next to nothing when you trade that boat in to buy new later.