Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 MXZ 22/24

Sailvi767

I am surprised with these being all new for 2017 there have not been more posts  on these boats. If there are owners out there it would be great to see some comments. I really like the 22 however I am disappointed that Malibu did not go with a 17 inch prop. I would love to hear about the surf wave, bow rise, spray and handling. Post away please!

Well, we do represent a small percentage of owners (<1%?), it just came out and the season for most is over. Go demo one and let us know. :)

Edited by teamerickson
On 12/7/2016 at 4:36 PM, Sailvi767 said:

I am surprised with these being all new for 2017 there have not been more posts  on these boats. If there are owners out there it would be great to see some comments. I really like the 22 however I am disappointed that Malibu did not go with a 17 inch prop. I would love to hear about the surf wave, bow rise, spray and handling. Post away please!

There are a couple threads that have demo feedback and opinions from those that are very farmiar with wakeboats. They are probabaly a few pages back. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew

I was really considering one until I got a price quote on it.  It's a big jump from a 22vlx, not like the 22vlx to lsv.  I wish Malibu would have priced it comparably to the lsv, but for some reason the mxz line always has been a very expensive boat in the Malibu lineup.

• Like 1

Yeah it's a jump to the MXZ.  It's about the same jump from a 23LSV to a 22MXZ as the 22VLX to the 23LSV.  That being said there are some things that make the 22MXZ more expensive to produce than the 23LSV, so I can see why.  It's also a 22'5" boat now too...so it's getting close to 23' right?  :-)

• Like 1

I would probably pay the extra if they had gone with a 17" prop like the 24. I was amazed at the performance of the small 5.3 liter motor in a 5800lb G23 with a 17" prop. Performed as well as my VLX with a 450 other then losing 3 mph off the top end. 

Speaking of features Malibu should look at the swim platform on the Cobalt surfboat is a really nice idea. Hard to explain but basically a full platform width seat hinges from the top providing both a step and seat about 18 inches down in the water. Does not change the functionality of the platform a bit when in the up position.

3 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Speaking of features Malibu should look at the swim platform on the Cobalt surfboat is a really nice idea. Hard to explain but basically a full platform width seat hinges from the top providing both a step and seat about 18 inches down in the water. Does not change the functionality of the platform a bit when in the up position.

That would result in a lawsuit from Cobalt.

It's basically just a hinge system so I assumed there is not a patent. If there is Malibu could purchase a license to use it. That's done all the time in the boat business. It's really nice upgrade. 

On 12/10/2016 at 9:38 AM, Sailvi767 said:

It's basically just a hinge system so I assumed there is not a patent. If there is Malibu could purchase a license to use it. That's done all the time in the boat business. It's really nice upgrade. 

[sarcasm]

Isn't Surf Gate also "just a hinge system?"

Also... Malibu doesn't pay royalties, they collect them!  :rtfm:

[/sarcasm]

On 12/8/2016 at 5:47 PM, Wakesetter67 said:

I have demoed both and preferred the 22 Wave over the 24, Both were sacked out, Nice thing on the 22 we did not use any extra bow weight, That sold me right there, I have never been in to a pickle fork before but I do love the looks of their newly design boats! 

How did you feel about bow rise on acceleration and running at surf speeds on the 22? Need a boat my wife can safely drive on a crowded lake.

Thanks!

On 12/12/2016 at 8:21 AM, Sailvi767 said:

How did you feel about bow rise on acceleration and running at surf speeds on the 22? Need a boat my wife can safely drive on a crowded lake.

Thanks!

I was not the target of the question buuuut, you will have a bit of bow rise when surfing any boat. That is a guarantee. I would suggest scheduling a demo on every boat you are considering and decide which one is right for your family. I demo'd several models this fall and ended up deciding on the same model I had just sold, 23 LSV. 

Good luck, keep us in the loop!

• Like 3
On 12/18/2016 at 3:07 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

I was not the target of the question buuuut, you will have a bit of bow rise when surfing any boat. That is a guarantee. I would suggest scheduling a demo on every boat you are considering and decide which one is right for your family. I demo'd several models this fall and ended up deciding on the same model I had just sold, 23 LSV. 

Good luck, keep us in the loop!

I am looking at several options. I have owned 4 Malibu's over the last 20 years but might be jumping ship.

Edited by Sailvi767
Spelling
14 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Where to?  What are you comparing?

That is the 10,000 dollar question! I am looking at several options. In the Malibu line the 22MXZ or the 23LSV. It does look like they have sorted out the issues on my 22 VLX boat however I really don't want to repeat that process. I also want a boat with reasonable bow rise my wife at 5'5 can drive surfing. 

Non Malibu I was looking at the Nautique G21 and 23. I liked a lot of things about the 21 but the surf wake was a bit different with a small pocket I did not care for. The spray issue was also a deal killer however the price was amazing on leftover 16's. I really liked the G23 in almost every respect however I don't think it will fit my lift and the price was also amazing just in the other direction! I took a quick look at the Supra SA and really liked some of the features and price point but don't like that the ballast is mostly sacks. 

Quality wise the Nautiques seem to be well above the other options. Storage is massive in both boats and bow rise non existent. I really need to get out on the water on the SE, LSV, and MXZ to compare. All the dealers however want a deal done by year end for the best pricing and I don't have the time for Demi's before they shut down for the year next week.

The last thing getting my attention is the new Nautique GS22. It appears it might turn out to be a great boat but until they start hitting the water hard to say. I still enjoy sking and they claim the boat skies well. First ones won't be in my area until April or May.