Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Proper sounds of the HH 383

I am curious how other 383's sound and behave. At idle, the motor certainly lopes (chugs) like a hotrod. Giving a small amount of gas, not enough to plane the boat, produces its loudest noise (a constant low pitched grumble). This is the time to talk about the people sitting in the back as they cannot hear the conversation coming from the front of the boat. When on plane it sounds great and rocks. When coming off plane (can actually hear it while planning as well, but I typically come of plane slower and can therefore distinguish the noises at the various RPM ranges) I do hear what appear to be the lifters. This sound appears to be a bit softer after changing the oil. I am running the motor with about 1/4 quart of oil above the full oil line.

The motor sometimes starts a bit hard after the motor is fully warmed up and after stopping it for about 3 minutes. This only happens about 1 out of 20 starts. To get it to start, I can just hold the starter down for approximately 5 seconds and it will catch or if I just rev the motor (in neutral), it fires right up. I assume it is flooding?

Are these typical behaviors?

I have not heard any lifter noise at all from mine. I am going to start using synthitic oil just to be sure. I have some experience with high performance engines and am just not a fan of the Penzoil Marine oil.

I am surprised you said heard lifter noise both on plane and coming off. Are you hearing a tapping?

The rough idle is normal. I don't remember any loud noise above idle, but it sure does smooth out the idle if you speed up just barely.

Once I was educated on the normality of the rough idle, I kinda like it. It does feel like a hot rod. Hammerheads rock !

post-23-1155150211_thumb.jpg