Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Maintenance

jberkal4

1 hour ago, Arick said:

Curious.  What fuel does the manual recommend? 

Premium-  I always run best available which locally is 91 e10

47 minutes ago, ski40mph said:

Darkside do you surf with the boat listed? Is the leaky valve on the high side?

No its a surfgate boat, so nice and level.  

The important factors is also keeping records of maintenance interval.  I personally did my own oil changes as it was faster/easier and a whole lot cheaper than taking to the dealer.  I always took a photo of the oil, and filter and documented the hours, then emailed to service manager at the dealership.  

Edited by DarkSide
1 hour ago, Arick said:

Curious.  What fuel does the manual recommend? 

Straight from the manual: "The LSA and LS3 require 91 octane or higher. Indmar recommends purchasing fuel from a supplier that advertises that the fuel meets “TOP TIER” specifications."  They also state: "Fuels that are blended to contain more than 10% ethanol should not be used in Indmar engines."

17 hours ago, robbennett said:

400 hours would take 100 days to put on if you went out 8 hours a day. That's a ton of riding! Do they leave their boats running when not in use? 

Whoa whoa whoa... 400 hours would take 100 days if you were out 8 hours a day?  Is there some math I am missing here?  Wouldn't 8 hours x 100 days be 800 hours?  Or are you assuming only half the time is spent riding.

19 hours ago, robbennett said:

400 hours would take 100 days to put on if you went out 8 hours a day. That's a ton of riding! Do they leave their boats running when not in use? 

Your math is wrong... However.. Our winter here (if you want to call it that hardly every freezes) is short and ridable ;)

20 hours ago, DarkSide said:

The important factors is also keeping records of maintenance interval.  I personally did my own oil changes as it was faster/easier and a whole lot cheaper than taking to the dealer.  I always took a photo of the oil, and filter and documented the hours, then emailed to service manager at the dealership.  

Excellent idea, particularly when boat is still in warranty.

I have never been concerned about doing my own maintenance even under warranty.  A warranty can not be broken for using other brands of oil or other such things as long as they meet or exceed the requirements.  If some one is going to fight a warranty its likely its not going to matter what has been done other than something very obvious. They just don't want to pay out or fix or replace. It is a good plan to keep records and receipts can be very helpful.  For me its a long trip to my dealer and I don't think I would fell as good with the work done in the shop as if I did it. JMHO.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Whoa whoa whoa... 400 hours would take 100 days if you were out 8 hours a day?  Is there some math I am missing here?  Wouldn't 8 hours x 100 days be 800 hours?  Or are you assuming only half the time is spent riding.

We'll easily put 5 hours on our boat and only be out for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I never leave my boat idol either. I always shut it off when changing riders, but like someone said in this thread earlier....with most people wake surfing more than wake boarding, there is going to be more hours on the boat.

Now that we have a surf gate boat, we put a lot more hours on our boat. Even our dealer told us last March after they did our break in service, "This should get you through the season." But by the end of June, I was changing the oil again and then again in September. We did 160 hours in our first season with a 2016, but averaged 80 with a non surfgate boat. 

2 hours ago, Sixball said:

For me its a long trip to my dealer and I don't think I would fell as good with the work done in the shop as if I did it. JMHO.

Last time my dealer saw my boat was delivery day.  Even made him mail me the recall parts and I returned the defective ones by mail. He also fixed my bad oil pressure switch (getting an alarm) by disconnecting it that day.

1 hour ago, electricjohn said:

Last time my dealer saw my boat was delivery day.  Even made him mail me the recall parts and I returned the defective ones by mail. He also fixed my bad oil pressure switch (getting an alarm) by disconnecting it that day.

Same with me!  I even did my warranty work. He shipped me parts and I shipped the bad things back. Now that is what I call good service!