Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aftermarket Fuel Pump

chrislackman

Hi Team, Im hoping someone has an answer for me. Im in need of a new fuel pump for my 97 Malibu. It has the Indmar Monsoon in it. Bakes say they no longer make the genuine pump but now have a conversion kit. The problem is it is around $460 which i feel is very high. has anyone used an after merket pump? if so which ones work? also my pump has the return line going into the bottom of the pump. what have people done with the return when using a different pump? Hopefully there is a cheaper option out there as i dont want to be broke at the start of my season here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

This era of Indmar fuel pumps were configured so an additional, low pressure, booster pump could be installed near the fuel tank that pumped fuel to the high pressure pump.  This was to eliminated vapor lock.  The inlet side of the high pressure pump had a bypass valve going to a return line back to the fuel tank.  This return line, and the one from the regulator, are combined at the base of the fuel pump, then return the fuel to the tank.

If you do come up with another pump, you can skip all this, and just connect the return line from the regulator straight back to the fuel tank.

Just make sure the pump you choose is Marine approved.

I dont think the pump has to be marine approved. I don't think there will be any difference with these electric fuel pumps. Iv read but not tried this yet. Jegs and summit sell a 100.00 pump that will fit the bill. You do hqve to combine th inlet and the return with a y. There is info on the mastercraft site too. Im looking to do this mod myself probably. 

I replaced mine with the carter.  Cost me a little over 100$,  works fine.  Return line goes to tank and plugged bracket.

Edited by Shastasurf