Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Zealand 22VLX arrives and on the water

Fman

I ended up having the main control box for the gates replaced because it got water in it. I had no response from the gates at all though. I think that can be ruled out here.

I just got off the phone with Cameron the new owner, he also sent me some pictures of what is going on.  Both gates are only extending out about 50-60% on both actuators.  I am going to contact my dealer Tuesday to try and figure out what is happening.  I can't imagine both actuators having problems, the software update seemed to be fine when I updated.  I told him to try a complete system reset, disconnect batteries, reboot and try another calibration.

If anyone has any ideas please chime in, thx.

9 hours ago, Fman said:

It finally made it over to New Zealand and is now on the water!  Cam does not mess around, new wheels already! I think it looks amazing :thumbup:

Crew, there are a couple items I want to try and help him on, hopefully someone can chime in.

What is the absolute best surf recipe for a 22VLX? (vince can you chime in) This boat came with the 800lb wake maker rear bags, and a 700 lb bow bag.

I updated the software on the boat for him before I sent it over to him and he said one of the gates is not working properly now, he said it is not deploying outward as far as it should, I can only think of recalibration of gates?  I never had a problem with the gates not working properly on the older software version.

Just want to make sure everything is dialed in for him, the gate is concerning me, hopefully the recalibration will take care of it?  Was not sure if there was anything else he could try.

unnamed-5_zpswslcz05b.jpg

We have tried a few different fill positions, Best is Full MLS then we fill the 2 rear  custom wake makers bags ( Supposed to be  825Lb But I hear they are closer to 1000) I think a few of the guys on here tested them So with that info I only fill mine to about 3/4 Full, and a 600Lb bow bag up front,  Goofy about 10.6 to 10.8 and wedge about 3 clicks from stow, Reg side we increase speed just a bit to 11.2 That seams to be the magic number for my crew!! 

9 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

Was he on the water when he showed you pics of the gates?  Did he try service mode to see how they operated?

He was not on the water when he took the pics, see attached.  I am a little confused after talking with him that he is actually calibrating properly.  Can you expand on service mode?  I dont recall ever using that feature.  It looks pretty obvious to me that both gates are not even close to full extension.  His dealer network over there is limited at best, I am hopeful we can figure out what is going on.  I never experienced any issues with the gates prior to shipping the boat, the only thing I changed was the new software update which seemed to upload fine, booted up with no issues but I never had a chance to take it out on the water.  If I have to call Malibu tech line directly I will do it, its summer over there and he needs to be able to enjoy the boat.

20161205_064755_zps8lhhmt9f.jpg

20161205_064811_zpssa1tlc4f.jpg

20161205_064833_zps2bsmjv5u.jpg

20161205_064853_zpstvizrkhg.jpg

Edited by Fman

Service mode is how you get the gates to open while on the trailer.  Say if you wanted to remove the swimstep, or do work performed at the transom.  

Settings>surfgate>service mode

this will open both gates at the same time.  Then when you end service mode both will retract.  I would guess that is what he used to open the gates for the picture?  If not, I'd be curious to how he opened them.  

Have him use the service mode and snap a pic, that'll see if the gates both are out equally.  If they both extend fine, calibrate after while they are closed.  Power down and reboot

Thanks Dave I will pass this along to him... someone else mentioned confirming "that the proper calibration for that year/model was installed."  not sure how I would go about this, other than the software version that can be found on the 7" touch screen.

27 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

It's close, but I'm not yet convinced those gates aren't all the way out.

For some reason it looks to me like they are not extending to their full reach, but I could be mistaken, hard to tell without being at the boat.

15 minutes ago, Fman said:

For some reason it looks to me like they are not extending to their full reach, but I could be mistaken, hard to tell without being at the boat.

Goofy side looks all the way extended to me, hard to tell on regular with the angle.  I was watching them the other day and they don't really stick out very far from the boat. The distance from the swim platform looks about right to me though.  Has he used it yet?

6 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

It's close, but I'm not yet convinced those gates aren't all the way out.

They appear to be operating normally. They don't extend that far in actual use. Only the service mode fully extends them.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, thtrog said:

I agree also, but what keeps catching my eye is the trailer guide post resting on the fiberglass. And the dog :)

Not really sure if it is good to have the ratchet straps hooked up like that either. I have mine going to the U bolts. Or so thats what they told me anyhow.

More info today those pics are in service mode.  Could I ask a favor and have someone with a 2015 (lenco actuators) put there gates in service mode and measure the distance so we can be sure they are fully extending.

He had some issues with the surf wave first time out not being to his liking but had hard tanks full, entire 900-1000 lb locker bags full, wedge 4 clicks up, and no bow weight.  I am pretty sure this recipe won't work without the extra bow bag and would cause the wave to be "meh" at best.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Fman said:

More info today those pics are in service mode.  Could I ask a favor and have someone with a 2015 (lenco actuators) put there gates in service mode and measure the distance so we can be sure they are fully extending.

He had some issues with the surf wave first time out not being to his liking but had hard tanks full, entire 900-1000 lb locker bags full, wedge 4 clicks up, and no bow weight.  I am pretty sure this recipe won't work without the extra bow bag and would cause the wave to be "meh" at best.

That sounds like too much wedge and no bow weight. But I don't think it would be completely meh.

35 minutes ago, Fman said:

Way too much weight in the rear, especially with no bow weight, I have tried them full and with the bow bag and I still think it's better about 3/4 full, That would be more like 800Lbs in each instead of 1000 in each if they were full, 

• Like 2
Just now, Wakesetter67 said:

Way too much weight in the rear, especially with no bow weight, I have tried them full and with the bow bag and I still think it's better about 3/4 full, That would be more like 800Lbs in each instead of 1000 in each if they were full, 

What about wedge??